Anyone Heard About This?

I have been working legally in Bangkok for almost 5 years now (always for the same company). I work radio in a mgt. position and let's just say this radio network is part of the biggest TV network in Thailand. I've always had a one year visa and work permit, renewable at the end of every year for another year etc. Now it's up for renewal again but what HR tells me is that immigrations said they would only issue one month visas for now, and only after one month will they decide if I am up for a one year renewal. And if they reject my one year renewal application, then it will have to be renewable month to month. Has anyone heard anything about this??? Sounds pretty crazy to me!

I'd also like to add that my HR department is rather clueless so I am not so sure they got the facts right but you never know in this country. Things don't always work according to universal logic.

Would like to hear what others are experiencing (I mean those with valid visas and work permits)

Believe you obtain an extension of stay each year; not a new visa. And believe it is normal that you receive about 3 months of these 30 day extensions while your case is "under review" so it sounds like your employer, and you, will now be subject to the same rules as everyone else.

I have been working legally in Bangkok for almost 5 years now (always for the same company). I work radio in a mgt. position and let's just say this radio network is part of the biggest TV network in Thailand. I've always had a one year visa and work permit, renewable at the end of every year for another year etc. Now it's up for renewal again but what HR tells me is that immigrations said they would only issue one month visas for now, and only after one month will they decide if I am up for a one year renewal. And if they reject my one year renewal application, then it will have to be renewable month to month. Has anyone heard anything about this??? Sounds pretty crazy to me!

I'd also like to add that my HR department is rather clueless so I am not so sure they got the facts right but you never know in this country. Things don't always work according to universal logic.

Would like to hear what others are experiencing (I mean those with valid visas and work permits)

This is the norm unless your company qualifies for the One Stop Center, then the one year visa is issued the same day.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com