Pattayans Are Stocking Up in Advance of the Two-Day Prohibition That Begins at Midnight

webfact

I think if you can't go 2 days without a drink, you should seek help.

Exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it.

But they are not going - nor will need to go - two days without a drink, are they? Nor even one. It is that which renders this law/custom such an ass.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These alcohol ban long weekends are more and more becoming an excuse to stock up on booze and get absolutely tanked. Surely the government must wake up to the fact that people just stock up before on cheap whisky before hand. It achieves nothing. They would have more success if they just left it up to individuals to choose.

That would mean that they were wrong, meaning a loss of face. Neither of which will ever be allowed to happen!

Hmm Buddhism isn't official state religion (I assume this as there is a move afoot to make it so). Would be a mere formality anyway, as this ban shows.

That said, my opinion is they just don't get it: there is huge difference between abstaining based on beliefs and abstaining because the alcohol is not available (supposedly, anyway). Easy to give up what you can't get regardless....

I don't drink more than maybe a glass of wine once a month or so, but am against forcing religious beliefs on those who don't share those beliefs. And as I said banning is not in line with Buddha's teachings of personal responsibility and choice

let's face it, if you even give a moment's thought to not having alcohol for 2 days let alone go out and stock up, you have a problem - alcohol has dictated your behaviour - today and the following 2 days - do you seriously have such a meagre outlook on life that you can't conceive of entertainment without alcohol......how sad can you get?

Exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it.

But they are not going - nor will need to go - two days without a drink, are they? Nor even one. It is that which renders this law/custom such an ass.

It's not the law that's an ass...it's those who can't do without a drink....

Must be rough if you have to stock up on booze because you can't get through a 48 hour religious holiday in the country you're a guest in.

As far as i'm aware western tourists pay hard currency for their fun holiday trip to Thailand, so why would they not be allowed to have a alcoholic drink?

Are neighboring Buddhist countries also prohibiting tourists from having a drink during religious holidays?

Must be rough if you have to stock up on booze because you can't get through a 48 hour religious holiday in the country you're a guest in.

As far as i'm aware western tourists pay hard currency for their fun holiday trip to Thailand, so why would they not be allowed to have a alcoholic drink?

Are neighboring Buddhist countries also prohibiting tourists from having a drink during religious holidays?

perhaps they should have read the 5th precept before booking?

"

5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness."

"

5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness."

I think that applies for Buddhists, but most westerners aren't Buddhists.

So would you mind to answer the second question in my previous post?

"

the 2nd question in your previous post??? who do you think you are? It is quite clear that you are so obsessed with alcohol (and in denial) that you will grasp at any straw to justify your insatiable thirst now all of a sudden you're "oh so concerned" that tourists get their money's worth - How sad! money doesn't entitle you to drink - their are plenty of countries around the world than ban drink at certain times - usually on religious grounds - that includes Christian countries too - but you are clearly blinded by your cravings..........how pathetic to get so obsessed with not buying a drink that you try to say it damages tourism.....

my premise was that if you can't get through 2 days without alcohol then you need help - you obviously can't so get out of denial and get help.

Edited by cumgranosalum

"

the 2nd question in your previous post??? who do you think you are? It is quite clear that you are so obsessed with alcohol (and in denial) that you will grasp at any straw to justify your insatiable thirst - money doesn't entitle you to drink - their are plenty of countries around the world than ban drink at certain times - usually on religious grounds - that includes Christian countries too - but you are clearly blinded by your cravings..........how pathetic to get so obsessed with not buying a drink that you try to say it damages tourism.....

my premise was that if you can't get through 2 days without alcohol then you need help - you obviously can't so get out of denial and get help.

Ok I get it, you can't give a positive answer to my question, and now you get upset because you were called out on you bullshit.

What about all the poor Russian and British tourists who pay their hard-earned rubles and pounds to visit certain southern states in the U.S. for their holidays only to find that there are holidays where alcohol isn't sold called "Sunday"?

Try finding a bar or liquor store open in the U.S. on Christmas, or Easter. It's okay for other countries to have holidays where they don't sell booze but Thailand is supposed to be some kind of a 365 24/7 kegger?

the 2nd question in your previous post??? who do you think you are? It is quite clear that you are so obsessed with alcohol (and in denial) that you will grasp at any straw to justify your insatiable thirst - money doesn't entitle you to drink - their are plenty of countries around the world than ban drink at certain times - usually on religious grounds - that includes Christian countries too - but you are clearly blinded by your cravings..........how pathetic to get so obsessed with not buying a drink that you try to say it damages tourism.....

Ok I get it, you can't give a positive answer to my question, and now you get upset because you were called out on you bullshit.

you don't have a leg to stand on, do you? I guess you're drunk - buying a ticket to Thailand isn't a passport to 24 hour drinking - nor is it in any other country either.

BTW - Sri Lanka which has the closest form of Buddhism to Thailand, bans alcohol on religious holidays...and for good measure on Christmas day too...and Poya day - once a month

Many countries like the Philippines ban alcohol on election days (as does Thailand)

Prohibition exists in some parts of India too

..and as for the laws on alcohol in USA, UK EU and Australia - how many bars on the beach do you see in Oz? How many people drinking in the street in the US?

Get over it and get a life.BTW - Sri Lanka which has the closest form of Buddhism to Thailand, bans alcohol on religious holidays...and for good measure on Christmas day too...and Poya day - once a month

Many countries like the Philippines ban alcohol on election days (as does Thailand)

..and as for the laws on alcohol in USA, UK EU and Australia - how many bars on the beach do you see in Oz? How many people drinking in the street in the US?

Get over it and get a life.

What about all the poor Russian and British tourists who pay their hard-earned rubles and pounds to visit certain southern states in the U.S. for their holidays only to find that there are holidays where alcohol isn't sold called "Sunday"?

Try finding a bar or liquor store open in the U.S. on Christmas, or Easter. It's okay for other countries to have holidays where they don't sell booze but Thailand is supposed to be some kind of a 365 24/7 kegger?

I had to look it up and found that about HALF of the US states prohibit liquor stores to open on Christmas, but the other half doesn't, and even less prohibit bars to open on that day.

So I would say your argument is flawed.

What makes it even more flawed is that Christmas is one day in the year, not 2 times a month.

I had to look it up and found that about HALF of the US states prohibit liquor stores to open on Christmas, but the other half doesn't, and even less prohibit bars to open on that day.

What makes it even more flawed is that Christmas is one day in the year, not 2 times a month.

you really are scraping the barrel now - literally probably.

you don't have a leg to stand on, do you? I guess you're drunk - buying a ticket to Thailand isn't a passport to 24 hour drinking - nor is it in any other country either.

BTW - Sri Lanka which has the closest form of Buddhism to Thailand, bans alcohol on religious holidays...and for good measure on Christmas day too...and Poya day - once a month

Get over it and get a life.BTW - Sri Lanka which has the closest form of Buddhism to Thailand, bans alcohol on religious holidays...and for good measure on Christmas day too...and Poya day - once a month

Get over it and get a life.

Oh I have a life man, I just purchased this evening 6 bottles of hard liquor to get through those 2 days, and the fist one finished already.

I hope I'll make it it to Thursday morning with those 6 bottles, but man do I have a life. A life of fun that is, not such a boring teetotaler life.

You're claiming that Thailand has two religious holidays every month where they prohibit the sale of alcohol and you're saying that my argument is flawed because only half the U.S. states prohibit the sale of alcohol one day per week, 52 days per year ? I'd ask if you've been drinking but...

You're claiming that Thailand has two religious holidays every month where they prohibit the sale of alcohol and you're saying that my argument is flawed because only half the U.S. states prohibit the sale of alcohol one day per week, 52 days per year ? I'd ask if you've been drinking but...

I'm sure you can point out to me where are half those states that prohibit the sale of beer in bars 1 day every week, because i couldn't find them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States

The same comments are made every year but consider the tourists instead. They spend their hard earned money on a 2 week trip to Thailand with their mates only to be told they can't get a beer. I'd be rather unhappy if it were me.

Or you could check what's coming up before booking......

Sure, that's the first thing I do when I plan a holiday to a foreign country, I Google " are there any dry days in < fill in name of country> during period x > Y " . coffee1.gif

Ignorance is a poor excuse

The same comments are made every year but consider the tourists instead. They spend their hard earned money on a 2 week trip to Thailand with their mates only to be told they can't get a beer. I'd be rather unhappy if it were me.

Flying to Thailand is a bit expensive if what you want to do is just drink. Besides, you could always change your room to one with a stocked refer.

Or you could check what's coming up before booking......

Sure, that's the first thing I do when I plan a holiday to a foreign country, I Google " are there any dry days in < fill in name of country> during period x > Y " . coffee1.gif

Ignorance is a poor excuse

Maybe they are not ignorant and decided for Thailand because they looked up the meaning of the original name of Thailand, which is Siam and means land of the free.

Well they have been had I would say.

As touched on earlier religious beliefs or traditions should not be imposed on persons of other faiths or atheism . For that reason maybe tourists should be exempt . Not too sure if hotels are outside of the ban , anyone can enlighten me ? Bans on alcohol drinking imposed by the government for occasions such as election voting are a different matter but should still not apply to tourists or non residents .

However , as I am sure you are all aware there always solutions and alternatives to having a beer on these non alcohol sell days . Not rocket science .

I go to Australia and the pubs are closed on Good Friday.

I feel for the tourists on this issue but you can't really expect a country to abolish its customs and culture to accommodate them. For us ex-pats it is no big deal. I have a nice single malt in reserve and a few new movies i downloaded that i am looking forward to watching with the family.

So that's the answer then.Bars shut,so Thailand shuts.In stead of being selfish,why don't you go out for a drive,if the family are Thai,drop into a wat,plenty happening there.Go to the local picnic area.Visit friends.

They do need help, that's why most of them are here in Thailand aren't they?

They come to Thailand for help? I think not.

Alright, help getting off maybe.

As touched on earlier religious beliefs or traditions should not be imposed on persons of other faiths or atheism . For that reason maybe tourists should be exempt . Not too sure if hotels are outside of the ban , anyone can enlighten me ? Bans on alcohol drinking imposed by the government for occasions such as election voting are a different matter but should still not apply to tourists or non residents .

However , as I am sure you are all aware there always solutions and alternatives to having a beer on these non alcohol sell days . Not rocket science .

I think it would be an idea to define that the 'ban' is about the sale of alcohol more than the consumption of it.

I am not expecting my doors at home to be broken down and my wife (Thai) to be arrested for having a wine or a shandy.