Pattayans Are Stocking Up in Advance of the Two-Day Prohibition That Begins at Midnight

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seem you can't help putting that foot even further in your mouth.

Where does common sense come in play here. Is it common sense in other countries that foreign tourist are unable to have a alcoholic drink during Buddhist holidays?

The only one that should use common sense in this case is the Thai government.

I would have assumed that most sentient beings would see what events were on during the intended travel period and what limitations if any are in force at those events. I guess from reading many of the posts on this most dont check, they just turn up and hope it will be as they assume it will be.

Where does common sense come in play here. Is it common sense in other countries that foreign tourist are unable to have a alcoholic drink during Buddhist holidays?

I would have assumed that most sentient beings would see what events were on during the intended travel period and what limitations if any are in force at those events. I guess from reading many of the posts on this most dont check, they just turn up and hope it will be as they assume it will be.

Miltary on block leave and workers on rotation get set holidays. We book our holidays a long time in advance based on fixed leave. But there is always a way round these silly restrictions so it doesn't matter. Edited by The manic

It seems you have read many of the posts but not all of them, as i explained already that being aware that there is a Buddhist holiday doesn't mean they know that tourists can't buy an alcoholic beverage. At least not in most other Buddhist countries.

When I search for Thailand public holidays, I can find the dates as being Buddhist holidays, but none of the sites mention that it is alcohol free days for tourists.

Not everyone consults the tv forum you know, and even then the subject wouldn't be discussed at the time of their booking.

I think if you can't go 2 days without a drink, you should seek help.

Exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it.

But they are not going - nor will need to go - two days without a drink, are they? Nor even one. It is that which renders this law/custom such an ass.

They have clamp downs over there as well and then nothing for a week. Ramadan is the time they drink the most

My wife and I just got back to Bangkok from a 10 day trip to Vietnam, and we didn't have any alcoholic drinks! So it is possible to go on holidays and not drink.

Of course it is possible, but doesn't mean it is the rule.

Must be rough if you have to stock up on booze because you can't get through a 48 hour religious holiday in the country you're a guest in.

As far as i'm aware western tourists pay hard currency for their fun holiday trip to Thailand, so why would they not be allowed to have a alcoholic drink?

Are neighboring Buddhist countries also prohibiting tourists from having a drink during religious holidays?

perhaps they should have read the 5th precept before booking?
"5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness."

I think that applies for Buddhists, but most westerners aren't Buddhists.

So would you mind to answer the second question in my previous post?

the 2nd question in your previous post??? who do you think you are? It is quite clear that you are so obsessed with alcohol (and in denial) that you will grasp at any straw to justify your insatiable thirst now all of a sudden you're "oh so concerned" that tourists get their money's worth - How sad! money doesn't entitle you to drink - their are plenty of countries around the world than ban drink at certain times - usually on religious grounds - that includes Christian countries too - but you are clearly blinded by your cravings..........how pathetic to get so obsessed with not buying a drink that you try to say it damages tourism.....
my premise was that if you can't get through 2 days without alcohol then you need help - you obviously can't so get out of denial and get help.

Calm down please. You are getting angry for no real reason. Arbitrary closures of bars is irritating as are the judgement warriors such as yourself seeking to demonise people who like the freedom to drink when they want. Not your business really. We who complain about these closures are only complaining not rioting - not hurting people - So what is your problem?

It seems you have read many of the posts but not all of them, as i explained already that being aware that there is a Buddhist holiday doesn't mean they know that tourists can't buy an alcoholic beverage. At least not in most other Buddhist countries.

When I search for Thailand public holidays, I can find the dates as being Buddhist holidays, but none of the sites mention that it is alcohol free days for tourists.

Not everyone consults the tv forum you know, and even then the subject wouldn't be discussed at the time of their booking.

You can always look up restrictions on the internet you dont need TV for that.

There is a loophole, if you "go retail" and buy over 10 litres of vodka for example, you can do that. smile.png Obviously, you are buying for your non-existing fancy restaurant :)

Edited by Timwin

I feel for the tourists on this issue but you can't really expect a country to abolish its customs and culture to accommodate them. For us ex-pats it is no big deal. I have a nice single malt in reserve and a few new movies i downloaded that i am looking forward to watching with the family.

So that's the answer then.Bars shut,so Thailand shuts.In stead of being selfish,why don't you go out for a drive,if the family are Thai,drop into a wat,plenty happening there.Go to the local picnic area.Visit friends.

Kumbaiyah!