What does Thailand have to offer in the way of forts?

Fabricus

Fort 9. This is part of what remains of Singora (also known as Sangora), a Persian-ruled sultanate that proclaimed independence from Ayuthaya in 1642 and flourished briefly until its destruction at the hands of King Narai's army in 1680.

The sultanate appears to be history's most obscure, and the second shortest-lived.

The fort shown here is about half a mile from my GF's house.

post-243848-0-74211200-1469292472_thumb.

Kho Kor was where the Thai Army was fighting in the "Red Meo" revolt - see articles by Jeffrey Race. Red Meo - were the Hmong supported by China,which was an insurgent group used as a counterweight to the Hmong the US used in Laos. Not much publicity about that these days

heh thumbsup.gif

This shot was taken from the Institute of Southern Studies, Kho Yor Island, Lake Songkhla.

Khao Daeng Mountain is to the right of where the bridge meets the mainland (ie, Singha Nakhon, on the southern tip of the Sathing Phra Peninsular).

It's on and around Khao Daeng Mountain that most of the Singora forts can be found.

In my opinion, this area may have the highest concentration of forts anywhere in the world.

post-243848-0-39972900-1469377465_thumb.

One for you to research... my photo, of Chachoengsao City Fortress (ป้อมเมืองฉะเชิงเทรา) on Maruphong Road city fortress defence wall, built 1794

tumblr_nd9v3b4Pcz1rbacr7o2_r1_1280.jpg

Thanks for this. Got any more pics? I never knew there was a fort in Chachoengsao. I'll try to read up on it and report back.

==

The remains of fort 7: Singora / Sangora. Getting to this fort (which is BLOODY HARD) is/was the most adventurous thing I've ever done in Thailand. To reach it you need to climb a seriously steep incline and hang on to tree roots and anything else you can grab. If you slip and fall, you break your neck.

post-243848-0-22972900-1469430368_thumb.

Just a little on Chachoengsao City Fortress

I don't have any other photos

Built in 1794 during the reign of King Rama III by KrommaluangRonnaret, Chachoengsao City Fortress was originally designed to defend against foreign invaders. However, it was later used during King Rama Vs reign in efforts to quell riots and looting by illicit Chinese opium traders.

A public park now stands before it, a pleasant place to relax and enjoy views of the nearby Bang Pakong River.

De-commissioned canons can still be seen along the walls.

Songkhla. This fort dates back to the 1840s and has no connection with the nearby Singora (Singha Nakhon) forts.

It's not particularly interesting; the cannon are British / Dutch pieces from the mid/late 1700s.

post-243848-0-17807200-1469499986_thumb.

Fort 8. Singora / Sangora.

The waterway immediately in front of the fort is the strait that separates Singha Nakhon from Songkhla. You could also think of it as the strait that connects the Gulf of Thailand with Lake Songkhla.

The cannon is badly rusted and has no legible inscriptions.

post-243848-0-61326800-1469682880_thumb.

Edited by Fabricus

Fort 2. Singora / Sangora.

This is a lousy photo which (like all my others) was taken with a telephone. Fort 2 is to the right; Khao Daeng Mountain is in the background.

I discovered this fort purely by chance. I wandered down an empty soi and saw a group of Thai kids playing football. I walked forward to watch them and saw this fort next to their makeshift football pitch.

The kids told me it was made "long times ago by farang -- they come here for make city -- they come from England and Arab, but long times ago".

post-243848-0-26130900-1469688540_thumb.

On 7/18/2016 at 0:27 PM, SoiBiker said:

There's one just round the corner from Khao San Road - Phra Sumen Fort.

Let me try to embed a photo on this swish new design.

The deal is that Phra Sumen Fort and the nearby Mahakn Fort are all that remain of the 14 forts constructed to protect Siam's new capital after the fall of Ayuthaya in 1767. They date back to 1782.

Interestingly, Ayuthaya also had 14 forts and Thailand's Ministry of Culture details 14 forts in Singora

phra-sumen-fort.jpg

• 7 months later...

One more from Chanthaburi

This restored section of the old city wall is inside the Royal Thai Army (Marines) grounds, Taksin Camp on Tha Luang Rd.

It was in existence prior to King Taksin the Great arriving here 1767

Interesting area, the French used the base when they occupied Chanthaburi province 1893-1906 and there is a group of buildings from that era also recently restored

tumblr_omopgfRXDn1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_omopgfRXDn1r8w5s5o3_1280.jpg