Police chief calls on fighting students to "show the love" rather than be aggressive

webfact

Police chief calls on fighting students to "show the love" rather than be aggressive

sss.jpg
Image: tnamcot

BANGKOK: -- Acting police chief Sanit Mahathavorn caused a few laughs at a parade of students up on attempted murder charges alongside their shamed parents.

Despite the seriousness of the offences, Sanit advised students, who engage in angry exchanges of words online that can lead to violence, to turn the other cheek, reported tnamcot.

He showed a variety of gestures to try to show love not hate - he even invited the Bangkok Metropolitan Division 2 chief to join him in an impromptu heart shape gesture as subordinates grinned behind.

The occasion was the parade for the press of a bunch of Bangkok youths involved in serious fighting. And it was one of the first occasions when the parents of some of those involved were directly charged with offences.

Two unnamed parents joined the students with their heads bowed after receiving suspended prison terms of six months and fines of 60,000 baht, both halved on admission of the charges.

The parents will face jail of three months if their children break the law within the next two years.

Sanit said that he didn't want to punish the parents but this was the only way to help stop the fighting that has seen many cases in recent months between rival high school students as well as college students.

"If they know what might happen to their parents then they may think twice, " said Sanit.

Then he showed with his various hand gestures how to turn the other cheek and avoid violence.

The assembled students and parents did not look as amused as the cops.

Source: tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-18

sometimes, I am just embarrassed for Thailand.

mind you, I feel the same about Trump, but this kind of stuff is just so mickey mouse. it is like a portion of the occupants of the country are stunted at intellectual and emotional maturity of 11 years of age

Couldn't they just cane ... Singapore style ? Cost effective , quick .

Some results :post-128430-0-08645200-1468833095_thumb.

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Singapore&country2=Thailand

To cane or not to cane. These two countries have somewhat polar opposite views on how to do it. Which one works best?

Its obvious isn't it. There is a lesson in here somewhere.

Amazing. Senior officials worldwide, continue make conflicting and comical statements, pose for ridiculous photo shoots and take every opportunity to show a lack of professionalism and forward thinking. Other than that, they are doing just fine.

mind you, I feel the same about Trump, but this kind of stuff is just so mickey mouse. it is like a portion of the occupants of the country are stunted at intellectual and emotional maturity of 11 years of age

What percentage would the portion be for are thinking of?

As old as that, huh?

Some results :attachicon.gifCrime INdex.png

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Singapore&country2=Thailand

To cane or not to cane. These two countries have somewhat polar opposite views on how to do it. Which one works best?

Idiotic! as if there is a link between caning and crime rates - so stupid. These are two so completely different societies you cannot possibly be serious about this supposed linkage - its like saying that if Thailand caned offenders the population would become more Chinese. The reasons for Thailand being a more criminal and violent society are far more complex than the attitude to corporal punishment, which, by the way, still happens routinely in Thai schools. A totally naive and facile reaction to a serious problem which is actually worse than the naive and facile reaction of the senior policemen - also demonstrating they are clueless about how to change the dynamic among this section of Thai youth. Just explain how is "cane the buggers" any improvement on "show the love"? Both are futile and pointless.

Idiotic! as if there is a link between caning and crime rates - so stupid. These are two so completely different societies you cannot possibly be serious about this supposed linkage - its like saying that if Thailand caned offenders the population would become more Chinese. The reasons for Thailand being a more criminal and violent society are far more complex than the attitude to corporal punishment, which, by the way, still happens routinely in Thai schools. A totally naive and facile reaction to a serious problem which is actually worse than the naive and facile reaction of the senior policemen - also demonstrating they are clueless about how to change the dynamic among this section of Thai youth. Just explain how is "cane the buggers" any improvement on "show the love"? Both are futile and pointless.

Yes well thank you for bearing with us and our facile, stupid, naive, clueless, futile and pointless questions and queries to experts such as your good self for enlightenment of the wonderous kind.

However, it seemeth that the set-up is not followed by the get-go. As your expertise is so deep, what to do about it? Expert?

You're great at putting us down, so how do you wise us up?

Edited by Maggusoil

Yes well thank you for bearing with us and our facile, stupid, naive, clueless, futile and pointless questions and queries to experts such as your good self for enlightenment of the wonderous kind.

However, it seemeth that the set-up is not followed by the get-go. As your expertise is so deep, what to do about it? Expert?

You're great at putting us down, so how do you wise us up?

Its OK, happy to "bear with you" and call you out when you come up with a knee jerk and thoughtless "easy answer" reaction to what is in fact a very complex problem - and not one problem either but a combination of parenting, society, education and authority issues.

Obviously (to me anyway) there is no easy answer than can be encapsulated in a single "cane the buggers" phrase. However Thailand is far from the first country that has had to face high rates of juvenile delinquency amongst disenfranchised young men, which is effectively what these "vocational school" students are. They have been failed by the education system up until now and are on a one way road to low paid dead-end jobs. Singapore does not solve all its youth problems by caning young men and to suggest that it does is an insult to the intelligence of everyone reading it! Singapore has a functioning and effective educational system and a society where law and order is respected. It is not a country where the police take bribes or military coups happen every 6 years or so. A caring society would be looking at the lessons learned in Europe, America, and also Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong to see how a combination of responses by society might reduce the problem. An uncaring society reduces the entire complex issue to the simplistic "share the love" or "cane the buggers" which is no damn use at all.

I would and embarrass that a person like the CLINTONS blowing smoke up everyone's ass. As least Trump has some balls to tell it like it is. It's about time someone does.

Look at TURKEY, the president did a good job of purging, Hillary would hide behind her husband's skirt or is that MONICA?

A great portion of them actually. They are children all of their lives.

And these are senior police officers ?

My Lord that's the case for the prosecution.

where i come from these poser's are commonly known as a HIMBO'S .

Edited by mikiea

with a handle like minnehaha we all are embarrassed of your terd slinging self ................

Either that or have a top politician as a father, then you can just walk up and shoot someone on the head point blank if they enrage you. Then the nice people will give you a job as a sharp shooter in the army after going on the run for a bit while all witnesses "forget" what they saw.

Okay, you have had your know all rant oh wise one, so now tell us what these far more complex reasons are and how to fix the problem. It is one thing to have a go at some one for their opinion but it is another if you cannot justify it.

Okay, you have had your know all rant oh wise one, so now tell us what these far more complex reasons are and how to fix the problem. It is one thing to have a go at some one for their opinion but it is another if you cannot justify it.

In my "wisdom" I can recognise there is no simple (simplistic) answer and that the authorities assaulting teenagers with a cane is not going to prevent them from assaulting each other. Quoting caning and crime figures for a very different society as if they were connected is an insult to the intelligence of the reader. Looking for simple answers is not a realistic course of action and the education system together with cultural attitudes towards the parenting of male children have to be taken into account along with other cultural and societal values.

My point is not that I have the answers but that I absolutely know that "cane the buggers" is no more realistic than " share the love" and neither offer anything in the way of solutions. In fact they say a damn sight more about the morality and attitudes of the poster than they contribute anything worthwhile to the discussion. Almost all countries struggle with juvenile delinquency with male teenage children who are marginalised by their societies. The idea that there is a "catch phrase" answer is what makes me angry as intelligent people who know anything about parenting and children recognise this is just not so.

If the idea of beating children or young adults makes the would be beater feel stronger and more fulfilled then admit to it and have done with it, but please don't advocate it as any kind of solution as it has long been discredited and is illegal in most of our home countries for very good reasons.

Well, Venus was always the antidote to Mars. Why do men fight? Because the women are watching. Actually, I have always been amazed by the low level of violence in say Pattaya, as compared to your average UK city on a Friday night. I put this down to the ready availability of women.

Violence begets violence.You have already lost the arguement when you go this road.Educating the youth with humour is a different approach which i applaud and threatening jail time for parents.Maybe parents will take some interest in their children now.Carrot and stick.

The circus keeps on giving.

As a youngster my mother insisted on taking me to the circus every time it came to town and I couldn't get her to accept I didn't really enjoy it.

Now I just love the local circus especially the clowns.