Visa Extension Stamp Agents - A Joke!

Thailand jails 15 Britons sold bogus visas

Fifteen Britons who were duped into buying bogus visas have been jailed in Thailand, the Foreign Office published.

They were arrested as they tried to leave the country when immigration authorities noticed counterfeit stamps in their passports. Each had to raise £4,600 bail, their passports have been confiscated and they cannot leave Thailand until their cases come to court.

If convicted of immigration offences they face maximum jail sentences of 10 years or large fines.

Relatives of the tourists say they are innocent victims of fraud, who paid £26 each for visa extensions at outlets they believed were legitimate.

The Foreign Office admitted that the fraud is posing a "problem" for travellers. Bangkok's European consuls met this week to discuss the situation after Irish, Swiss and Canadian citizens were also jailed.

Among the Britons arrested were Nicholas Walker, Justin Righam, Paul Killey and Aaron Hay, all in their early 20s and from Douglas in the Isle of Man. They were intending to visit Australia, but were arrested as they left Thailand on Sunday.

Auban Walker, Mr Walker's uncle, also from Douglas, said: "They were arrested simply for having the wrong stamps in their passports and were thrown into jail in Bangkok. The Thai police are treating victims of fraud as criminals, but aren't stopping the travel agents who issue these stamps."

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "Our travel advice on Thailand does give a warning about visa fraud and our understanding is that this has become a bit of a problem."

Hi

YEP YEP Old news !! Sorry ..Just keeping you all on your toes...actually one can never stress how important it is to know about these fraudelent outlets as the temptation could run high when you think of the bother and expense of doing a visa run... That's right about Japan the news (and the movies) arrive late..though I'm returning tomorrow to Thailand to teach.

But au-contraire about getting out of the can...never been there.. perhaps you might know a little more about that kind of experience Dr.?

Regards

Triple O

Hi

YEP YEP Old news !! Sorry ..Just keeping you all on your toes...actually one can never stress how important it is to know about these fraudelent outlets as the temptation could run high when you think of the bother and expense of doing a visa run... That's right about Japan the news (and the movies) arrive late..though I'm returning tomorrow to Thailand to teach.

But au-contraire about getting out of the can...never been there.. perhaps you might know a little more about that kind of experience Dr.?

Regards

Triple O

No way that I know. I am not an English teacher :o and I boast a visa and a work permit. I have been told that Thai offices in Japan won't issue visa's to other than Japanese nationals. Any truth or another urban myth ?

Since the subject has been brought up. I used the infamous agents up until Aug of last year. the last dropoff of my passport to agent on khao san rd my passport vanished for 2 solid months. i received a call from agent that my passport was at my embassy. i went to embassy and signed for it. they told me that thai imm had sent it there. in my passport was a sadao stamp with oct date. i was shaken up to say the least. i put off leaving country and overstayed 51 days. on that fateful dec day i got up the nerve to cop a flight to PP. everyone advised me to lose passport but i chose not to. pulled aside at airport and paid 10200 overstay charge. imm guy looked at sadao stamp and said oh, sadao. he then got on phone to call someone as he said goodbye. i reentered thailand a few days later by plane and returned to PP 29 days later for next run. this time i got a 60 day visa and was advised by PP official to get a non imm O visa (for which I do not qualify). upon returning to thailand i was pulled aside at airport into imm office. i was a tad nervous. imm guy held me there as he made a phone call. he asked my address and phone. he said someone from imm was to call me in a day. sure enuf the call comes in. the dude wants to come to my apt. i got a translator on phone who arranged for me to go to police station to give report with details of the visa scam. i thought i was headed to slammer for sure. got to station and answered list of questions about agent and other details. left station and received call from original imm guy i talked to. he was hat jai imm boss. his english was broken but he was great. he just asked me if everything enjoy. he knew i was freaking over the whole thing. the translator guy said if i had not gone to answer questions i would have had a freeze placed on my passport and who knows what else. all is well now but it was a rather large scare indeed. i just made visa run to penang and got triple entry tourist without problem. what will happen in oct? who knows

yes doc I was lucky. I was new to Thailand and honestly did not know the whole thing was illegal at first. As for non imm visa, acc to bkk imm I only qualify for an investment visa based on my current situation whereby a 3 mil baht deposit to a thai gov't bank is requirement. I could do this I suppose but I'm not to anxious to do so. This 3 mil deposit visa is no where in writing I have found but imm told me that it is available

yes doc I was lucky. I was new to Thailand and honestly did not know the whole thing was illegal at first. As for non imm visa, acc to bkk imm I only qualify for an investment visa based on my current situation whereby a 3 mil baht deposit to a thai gov't bank is requirement. I could do this I suppose but I'm not to anxious to do so. This 3 mil deposit visa is no where in writing I have found but imm told me that it is available

You can always marry a local and rapidly become Biased Bob :o