200 Bhat ATM Fee ?

BTW, Donald in Pattaya, I find it extremely hypocritical that you are defending the "free" market, yet you don't even mention the blatant price fixing between banks where every ATM (except AEON) is charging the same amount to withdraw the money.

This act alone would be illegal and punishable by law in any "free" market.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's pretty clear that I'm a free-market anti-cartel type of person. However, I'm also a lawyer (in a previous existence) and to my knowledge, there is no Somchai Antitrust Act in Thailand and that business competition law in general in under-developed in Thailand; so that many monopolistic and anti-competitive business practices that would be illegal in other countries are allowed here. It's another add-on cost to living/visiting "paradise" and if one doesn't want to pay it one is free to move along.

The Thai Bankers Association thanks you for your understanding...they too believe it's just the price a farang needs to pay when living in Thailand.

But they would like to see if they could change your mind on that free-market, anti-cartel line of thought because that is not a "happy" thought to them.

I'm just saying I don't have a voice/vote in the matter...I certainly have a dog in the fight but whinging about the charges on an internet forum is a waste of time. If I was Thai or had children who were Thai, I would certainly inculcate in them the virtues of a free-market and anti-trust laws but I don't. I also don't think that as a retired foreigner in the country, writing to whoever the Parliament representative for Chonburi is on this issue would have much effect.

My post was just laying out the facts of the matter as I see them...you're certainly free to see it another way.

Talking of cartels that have great control over product/service pricing, here's another one in Thailand and it's a state-owned enterprise. While the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement allow other tobacco companies into Thailand, but the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly is still the 800 pound guerrilla in the Thailand tobacco products room. P.S. I don't use tobacco products.

Expect the TTM will maintain its status for many more years as it's a major tax revenue source for the govt. Monopoly + Tax Revenue = Thai Govt Happiness.

And the govt is perfectly comfortable with "monopoly" being part of the company name. Monopoly just does not have the negative connotation to it like it has in developed countries. Monopoly good.

The Thailand Tobacco Monopoly, (TTM), is a state enterprise which had a monopoly in Thailand over the manufacturing and distribution of tobacco products. The conclusion of the ASEAN Free Trade Area agreement in 1992 has since meant that foreign tobacco companies can distribute cigarettes in Thailand. Foreign companies have increased their market share in the country.

Edited by Pib

Methinks you non Thai Bank A/C ATM users protest just too much

SEA & the Pacific recommended ATM off shore usage rate 200 Bht (or equivalent) rising as we speak to 250 Bht for those banks not increased already.

In last 2 months using Aussie card & Thai card the above is true.

I can speak of NZ, Australia, Malaysia & Indonesia only. Minimum withdraw fee 200 Bht. Oz card equivalent of 260 Bht

I was recently in Malaysia and Australia. No ATM fees whatsoever. Some banks charge, not all. In Oz, I didn't find a single on that charged. In Malaysia, no charge for me either. Can't speak for NZ or Indo.

Don't worry, they will start charging some day just like banks all over the world are already doing.

Some banks, not all. Some people are just too dumb to be able to see the forest, because of all the trees in the way.

So if you are happy to go to the ATMs that charge you, go ahead, that is your choice. I prefer to use the ATMs that don't charge or to use an alternative method.

Methinks you non Thai Bank A/C ATM users protest just too much

SEA & the Pacific recommended ATM off shore usage rate 200 Bht (or equivalent) rising as we speak to 250 Bht for those banks not increased already.

In last 2 months using Aussie card & Thai card the above is true.

I can speak of NZ, Australia, Malaysia & Indonesia only. Minimum withdraw fee 200 Bht. Oz card equivalent of 260 Bht

I was recently in Malaysia and Australia. No ATM fees whatsoever. Some banks charge, not all. In Oz, I didn't find a single on that charged. In Malaysia, no charge for me either. Can't speak for NZ or Indo.

Don't worry, they will start charging some day just like banks all over the world are already doing.

Some banks, not all. Some people are just too dumb to be able to see the forest, because of all the trees in the way.

So if you are happy to go to the ATMs that charge you, go ahead, that is your choice. I prefer to use the ATMs that don't charge or to use an alternative method.

Who said I was happy with it?

I'm just saying I don't have a voice/vote in the matter...I certainly have a dog in the fight but whinging about the charges on an internet forum is a waste of time

Rather than "whinging" as you put it, in fact, a lot of this thread and similar threads are devoted to helping those reading here understand that there are a variety of ways to avoid/mitigate the Thai ATM fee -- regardless of what amount it ends up being.

And oftentimes, the people reading here aren't aware of those ways, and discover here that they do in fact have options. Or, people arrive here thinking they have a good alternative, like the private money sending services, but hopefully end up discovering that most (or all) of them end up being more expensive when their various fees and/reduced exchange rate are factored in.

What are the best options for avoiding or mitigating the Thai ATM fee?

--use a home country debit card that refunds other banks' ATM fees (obviously including those from foreign countries), if you can find such a card in your home country. One such card available to Americans is from Charles Schwab Brokerage/Bank. But Schwab also will open brokerage accounts for international customers, and with $10,000 to open the account, will provide the same benefits in their debit card.

--try to find a Thai bank branch that will allow you to do a debit card counter withdrawal, which incurs no fees at all on the Thai end. Or likewise do a credit card counter cash advance, IF you have a credit card that does NOT charge cash advance fees (most do).

--instead of relying on ATM withdrawals for your regular cash needs, switch to using Bangkok Bank's own internal international funds transfer system. That works well for Americans who can go thru BKKB's New York Branch. And I believe BKKB has a similar facility thru their London branch. Not as cheap as a no-fee ATM withdrawal, but lower costs than the typical international wire transfer.

--Depending on what your home country is, explore whether a Citibank debit card issued in your home country might be ATM-fee-free when used at Citibank ATMs in Thailand. Doesn't work for Americans, but may work for Citi cards issued in European and other Asian countries. But the downside is, Citibank Thailand only has a few ATM locations spread around Bangkok.

Per John's the above, the expat has already figured out (or should have) how to out-maneuver the 200bt ATM fee---

--- and Thailand's banks have found a cash cow with tourists.

So why do we, as expats, give a sh...t? (Unless we're too dumb to do one of the many out-maneuvers.)

And the tourist doesn't feel ripped off, if he's done his homework. His Visa (or MC) ATM card gives the TT buying rate (or better), which is a lot better than he can get at the money exchanger at the airport. And if he's a prudent shopper of cards, he's gotten an ATM card that, at most, only charges the network's 1% foreign exchange fee (and not another 2%, like Bank of America or Chase). Or even better -- no fee at all, a la Charles Schwab -- which is well advertised in publications aimed at tourists. So he arrives in Thailand, using his cash rewards credit card for most purchases (air fare, hotel, etc), which, as a prudent shopper, is a Capital One Quicksilver card, with no foreign exchange fee, and a 1.5% cash rewards bonus. But, needing walking around cash, he finds there are a zillion ATM machines available, for his convenience. Yes, a 25000 'hit' will cost him .8% for a Thai ATM fee. And, yeah, if he's got a Schwab ATM card, that might sound brash. But, hey, for the two week tourist, do you think he really thinks much about this convenience fee?

No, the Thai banking mafia is certainly charging "what the market will bear." If you're a tourist, I doubt this has ruined your holiday.

I'm just saying I don't have a voice/vote in the matter...I certainly have a dog in the fight but whinging about the charges on an internet forum is a waste of time

Rather than "whinging" as you put it, in fact, a lot of this thread and similar threads are devoted to helping those reading here understand that there are a variety of ways to avoid/mitigate the Thai ATM fee -- regardless of what amount it ends up being.

And oftentimes, the people reading here aren't aware of those ways, and discover here that they do in fact have options. Or, people arrive here thinking they have a good alternative, like the private money sending services, but hopefully end up discovering that most (or all) of them end up being more expensive when their various fees and/reduced exchange rate are factored in.

--use a home country debit card that refunds other banks' ATM fees (obviously including those from foreign countries), if you can find such a card in your home country. One such card available to Americans is from Charles Schwab Brokerage/Bank. But Schwab also will open brokerage accounts for international customers, and with $10,000 to open the account, will provide the same benefits in their debit card.

--try to find a Thai bank branch that will allow you to do a debit card counter withdrawal, which incurs no fees at all on the Thai end. Or likewise do a credit card counter cash advance, IF you have a credit card that does NOT charge cash advance fees (most do).

--instead of relying on ATM withdrawals for your regular cash needs, switch to using Bangkok Bank's own internal international funds transfer system. That works well for Americans who can go thru BKKB's New York Branch. And I believe BKKB has a similar facility thru their London branch. Not as cheap as a no-fee ATM withdrawal, but lower costs than the typical international wire transfer.

--Depending on what your home country is, explore whether a Citibank debit card issued in your home country might be ATM-fee-free when used at Citibank ATMs in Thailand. Doesn't work for Americans, but may work for Citi cards issued in European and other Asian countries. But the downside is, Citibank Thailand only has a few ATM locations spread around Bangkok.

That's a constructive post as it points people to alternatives if they want to avoid paying the fees...it doesn't just whinge about them. However, in most cases, for someone on holiday the ATMs are the best bet and for residents, nothing beats a Thai bank account.

That's a constructive post as it points people to alternatives if they want to avoid paying the fees...it doesn't just whinge about them. However, in most cases, for someone on holiday the ATMs are the best bet and for residents, nothing beats a Thai bank account.

Nonsense. That is just your opinion. Russians for instance, will buy US$ for their trip and rarely use an ATM at all. So your 'most cases' scenario fails at the first hurdle. Then there are those who will bring cash from their own country. Then there are those who can get cash advances over the counter. Nothing to do with it being the "best bet".

No, the Thai banking mafia is certainly charging "what the market will bear." If you're a tourist, I doubt this has ruined your holiday.

I remember back to when I came here as a tourist many years ago, after having not traveled internationally since may years before in and around my university years.

Of course, back then when I first came here as a tourist, the Thai ATM fee was much lower than it is now, and since then, has been raised far beyond the normal rates of inflation in ensuing years.

But I also remember, as someone who had never paid an ATM fee in the U.S. in my entire life, getting shocked by my BofA debit card at the time charging me a $5 flat fee plus 3% for every Thai ATM withdrawal I made with the BofA card. Of course, no ATM notice for those fees, so I wasn't even aware of them until I got my monthly BofA statement once back in the U.S.

Needless to say, that quickly ended my days of using my BofA debit card outside the U.S., and in the end later, ended up in my closing my BofA accounts entirely.

The Thai bank authorities ought to be thinking about the prospect that as technology advances, it's possible that some methods for easier, lower-cost international fund transfers may arise and make those a viable alternative to the Thai ATMs.

It's $5 fee in Cambodia, $4 if you find a the right arm.

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

Incorrect. The fee in Cambodia is $3 to $9 (you heard correctly!)... there is a few ATMs that don't charge though.

Edited by wump

FYI Krungsri Bank ATMs (the yellow ones) allow 30K baht withdrawals for the same 200 baht fee (0.67%).

Bangkok Bank ATMs still have the previous 180 baht fee (At least as of 2 weeks ago) but are limited to 20K baht withdrawals as are some others (0.9%)

Kasikorn (my bank) and some others allow 25K withdrawals. 200 baht fee. (0.8%)

I've lived here for 10 months and plan to live here forever, I'm planning to marry my Thai GF at Christmas on Phi Phi island. I haven't been concerned at the approximately A$8/US$6 atm fee, I might take out cash once or twice a month and when I do, I take the maximum amount so the fee essentially becomes negligible to me. I stash the cash in a safe until i need it. When my status as a thai resident becomes more secure by marriage, I'll look at reworking my financial affairs to eliminate these small fees too, but to be honest A$16 per month doesn't make a huge difference to me.

The last time I used a Bangkok Bank ATM for a withdrawal using my my farang card about 3 months ago the fee was Bt200 and max withdrawal Bt25K. Normally I do not use Bangkok Bank ATMs due to their 25K limit...nor some selected Thai banks which only provide Bt20K but still the Bt200 fee. I use Krungsri and TMB which provided 30K max...still same Bt200 fee.

When I visit Thailand, I have found that bring neat crisp £20 notes (Undamaged and unblemished) does very nicely.

I usually start my holiday in a 5 star hotel, for a couple of days to climatise and unwind.

In that time, I will seek out the local banks and exchange rates. I usually exchange £500 at a time just in case the rate gets better, which it usually does in summer times.

Then I take my £500 with my Passport and head to the bank.

They fall over themselves to be nice to you, usually offering you a glass of water or tea. You always get the best exchange rate and NO FEES TO PAY.

Thats right, nothing to pay in fees. I walk out of the bank with my Thai Baht and enjoy my holiday.

I used to use ATMs when I first came here and then one year for whatever reason, I tried to use my card and it swallowed it. My bank said don't worry, we know now your in Thailand, we have checked the notes you left us before you travelled. We will send a new card to your home address in England in the next 5-7 working days. (Not much use to me in Thailand was my retort) and it cost me dear, very dear to get the money sent to another account and card I had and then withdraw from that. Not only did the ATM charge me, but I had a currency conversion charge and a bank fee for using my card abroad. It amounted to nearly 10% of the transaction amount.

CASH CASH CASH - Yes you run the risk of it being stolen. But on balance, the risk of your money being stolen compared to the probability of your card not working. I think cash wins out every time.

"They fall over themselves to be nice to you, usually offering you a glass of water or tea. "

Because some bank clerk is so thrill to see foreign exchange? Can't recall ever seeing a bank clerk swooning over a transaction that s/he does repeatedly, day after day.

They make their money on the buy/sell spread, so the "fee" has already been incorporated into the transaction. They probably were less than thrilled to be holding pounds sterling in cash when Brexit hit the fan.

Don't worry about Thai banks loosing on the exchange rate - they just increased the spread to get their money back.

Pre brexit, the spread between buying and selling rates at Thai banks for GBP was about 1.5 baht same as Euro and dollar. Now 3.5 baht. That makes a whopping difference.

for TT transfers better spread is 0,3 baht for dollar, 0,8 baht for Euro and 0.95 baht for GBP. They don't like cash unless they can make a load on the exchange rates. So cash good for small sums but go over 1000 GBP then a transfer is better (depending on the fee you get charged, this varies from under 10 GBP to 30 GBP). A good ATM card will also more than offset the 200 baht ATM fee compared to cash for 20,000 baht withdrawals.

FYI Krungsri Bank ATMs (the yellow ones) allow 30K baht withdrawals for the same 200 baht fee (0.67%).

Bangkok Bank ATMs still have the previous 180 baht fee (At least as of 2 weeks ago) but are limited to 20K baht withdrawals as are some others (0.9%)

Kasikorn (my bank) and some others allow 25K withdrawals. 200 baht fee. (0.8%)

I've lived here for 10 months and plan to live here forever, I'm planning to marry my Thai GF at Christmas on Phi Phi island. I haven't been concerned at the approximately A$8/US$6 atm fee, I might take out cash once or twice a month and when I do, I take the maximum amount so the fee essentially becomes negligible to me. I stash the cash in a safe until i need it. When my status as a thai resident becomes more secure by marriage, I'll look at reworking my financial affairs to eliminate these small fees too, but to be honest A$16 per month doesn't make a huge difference to me.

Are you utilising a fee free card? Seems that you don't mention any exchange rate spread. IF your banking institution takes 3%, that makes it 3.67%, not 0.67%.

or are you with https://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/everyday_banking/citibank_plus.htm ?

As for Thailand: If you are lucky to hold a Mastercard and stay near one of the very rare BANK OF CHINA ATM's in Bangkok and one in Khonkaen, you can avoid fees altogether.

Nobody really followed up on this post by Siam earlier in this thread, but I took particular, curious note of it a few days ago when he posted it (never having ever even thought of Bank of China's ATMs here in Thailand before).

So today, I was down in the Sathorn area and stopped by the Bank of China main branch on the ground floor of the office building there, at the corner of Sathorn and Narithiwas roads, directly opposite from the BRT's Sathorn bus station there. Went inside and the branch was closed on a Sunday morning as expected, but they had two regular BofC ATMs in the public area outside the branch, and right next-door to a Starbuck's Coffee counter there.

And sure enough, I was able to make a withdrawal with my U.S. MasterCard logo debit card, had no fee notice on the ATM screen, went home and checked my online banking -- no ATM fee there either, and a regular exchange rate of 34.93 baht to the dollar, exactly what the MasterCard network currency exchange website shows as their most recent rate as of Friday. It was also exactly the same exchange rate as I got on two POS purchases I made with the same MC debit card elsewhere this morning. So BofC's not doing any funny business with the exchange rate on their ATM transactions.

So, I can confirm that the Bank of China ATMs here are fee-free for cards that they accept. Siam mentioned only using MasterCards, and indeed the Bank of China ATMs only have the card symbols on them for MasterCard, Cirrus, Maestro and UnionPay, and not the VISA or PLUS network typically associated with VISA cards. Although, once back home, I checked and discovered that I do have a couple bank cards that are VISA logo on the front, but also carry the Cirrus logo on the back. So it's possible that VISA cards bearing the Cirrus logo on the reverse might also work.

Here's what the Bank of China ATMs look like (and like the Thai ones, they have an on-screen menu choice to see the display in English language):

post-58284-0-45218300-1469348367_thumb.j

Here's the Bank of China (Thai) website listing their various branches, including 3 in BKK: Sathorn, Bangna, and Ratchada, along with Rayong, Khon Kaen, and Patumthani:

http://www.bankofchina.com/th/en/aboutus/ab3/

And, MUCH THANKS to Siam for passing along this great tip.

The only thing I didn't get a chance to check out today (because I was just doing an initial trial run to see how it worked) was to learn the maximum amount of baht that the Bank of China ATMs will handle per withdrawal (assuming one's card supports a higher daily limit). Perhaps someone following in my footsteps can try that, and post a follow-up here.

As for Thailand: If you are lucky to hold a Mastercard and stay near one of the very rare BANK OF CHINA ATM's in Bangkok and one in Khonkaen, you can avoid fees altogether.

Nobody really followed up on this post by Siam earlier in this thread, but I took particular, curious note of it a few days ago when he posted it (never having ever even thought of Bank of China's ATMs here in Thailand before).

So today, I was down in the Sathorn area and stopped by the Bank of China main branch on the ground floor of the office building there, at the corner of Sathorn and Narithiwas roads, directly opposite from the BRT's Sathorn bus station there. Went inside and the branch was closed on a Sunday morning as expected, but they had two regular BofC ATMs in the public area outside the branch, and right next-door to a Starbuck's Coffee counter there.

And sure enough, I was able to make a withdrawal with my U.S. MasterCard logo debit card, had no fee notice on the ATM screen, went home and checked my online banking -- no ATM fee there either, and a regular exchange rate of 34.93 baht to the dollar, exactly what the MasterCard network currency exchange website shows as their most recent rate as of Friday. It was also exactly the same exchange rate as I got on two POS purchases I made with the same MC debit card elsewhere this morning. So BofC's not doing any funny business with the exchange rate on their ATM transactions.

So, I can confirm that the Bank of China ATMs here are fee-free for cards that they accept. Siam mentioned only using MasterCards, and indeed the Bank of China ATMs only have the card symbols on them for MasterCard, Cirrus, Maestro and UnionPay, and not the VISA or PLUS network typically associated with VISA cards. Although, once back home, I checked and discovered that I do have a couple bank cards that are VISA logo on the front, but also carry the Cirrus logo on the back. So it's possible that VISA cards bearing the Cirrus logo on the reverse might also work.

Here's what the Bank of China ATMs look like (and like the Thai ones, they have an on-screen menu choice to see the display in English language):

attachicon.gifBank of China ATM-Sathorn.jpg

Here's the Bank of China (Thai) website listing their various branches, including 3 in BKK: Sathorn, Bangna, and Ratchada, along with Rayong, Khon Kaen, and Patumthani:

http://www.bankofchina.com/th/en/aboutus/ab3/

And, MUCH THANKS to Siam for passing along this great tip.

The only thing I didn't get a chance to check out today (because I was just doing an initial trial run to see how it worked) was to learn the maximum amount of baht that the Bank of China ATMs will handle per withdrawal (assuming one's card supports a higher daily limit). Perhaps someone following in my footsteps can try that, and post a follow-up here.

And The Donald has the gall to accuse China of manipulating their currency, and other financial shinanigans, when we can see right here that at least their banks are on the up and up ???

Also guess Bank of China is happy with the standard interchange fee earned to maintain, refill, profit, etc. But Thai banks need to heap-on another Bt200 of greed.

Unless they still really believe all that anti-capitalism crap in Mao's red book, I bet they now subscribe to Gordon Gecko's philosophy ("greed is good").

Ponder the Aeon example. No ATM fee, when for well over a year Thai banks were charging their 150 baht fee. I figured Aeon saw this as more ATM customers (certainly true, based on all the folks on this forum hiring a limo to drive across town to the nearest Aeon machine), thus actually earning more than driving off customers with a fee. Nope. I guess their business model showed the paltry reverse interchange fees were no match for joining the gang and charging ATM pull fees. Plus, didn't they (this from faulty memory) then lower the max draw amount to 15k baht -- thus requiring two ATM fees to obtain 30k baht? Gordon Gecko, you da man.

Of course, maybe the Thai Banking Association made Aeon an offer they couldn't refuse (like, you wanna continue doing business in Thailand?). Doubtful they could pull a similar with China. So, will remain interesting to see what happens (probably nothing, unless Bank of China ATM machines become much more prevalent than currently).

I just wish I could remember where I lay down my reading eyeglasses...I'm always looking for them. Long term or short term memory is not what it use to be. Now I've already forgot what we were talking about. tongue.png

Every time I come back here the "gouge" is worse.

Welcome to the tourist trap now known as LOS...Land Of Scams...Thailand. Nearly everything is a gouge now, so gotta be wary and smart. Personally have never used my American ATM card here ever since it wasn't free anymore. Many years now.

Japan, PI, China, Italy, Netherlands, Germany, France...fee free ATMs. Here and sadly, my sorry home country USA...big fees. I get it...but I REFUSE to pay it. Never have and never will, unless it is absolutely 100% unavoidable. Would almost have to be a life and death situation.

As Motley Crue said...Greed's Been Crowned The New King

And The Donald has the gall to accuse China of manipulating their currency, and other financial shinanigans, when we can see right here that at least their banks are on the up and up ???

Silly comments notwithstanding, I'm sure the Bank of China's (Thai) ATM fees policy has nothing to do with any perceived good-will or generosity aimed at the tourist or expat populations here.

However, for whatever reason, it is what is it. And as long as it remains so, I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity, and give my ATM fee reimbursements a break for at least a while.

Banks pay a lot of money to install atms and the associated network infrastructure. They pay for the electricity. Maintenance. Secure cash replenishment.

All of this costs money, which banks earn from their own customers who deposit money in bank accounts and who buy financial products from them.

It sounds like you do none of this, but complain because you are being charged too much.

I bet you also get offended by signs that say "Toilets are for our customers only".

I can ascertain that you don't work for a bank, my friend. I know personally that their lowly paid directors can get up to 4mn sterling when their bank makes colossal losses, so you needn't lecture those of us who are long in the tooth about banks and the 'service' they provide. They cock up themselves, but they never 'pay'.....In my view, they're the true pirhannas in our society and much to the chagrin of the 'Greys' are considered a "necessary evil".

Whatever they provide in ATMs, they get back back - and more, by holding your cash for 24 hours or more! Wake up and smell the coffee!

Edited by Seraphina