well water drilling

naammanow

Drilling the hole is the easy part.

Have you tried divining ? It is an odd art which I am 'piss poor at', however, I have employed a few diviners in Farrang Land and they found me water at the divined locations and at their depth estimates. I brought divining rods to Thailand and tested the neighbours. A few had the knack far better than I. I did set the stage for 'nam pee' and had them focus. Probably 1 out of 5 could get a far stronger 'pull' than I. I gave my rods to the pu yai ban and I think he sold them as Farrang magic :-(

• 6 months later...

How deep do you want to go?

Fifteen metre bores are common and those local drillers are everywhere.

Fifty metre and over are more difficult to find but there are plenty in Maejo. But they are ALL very busy and waiting time is in months, plus prices are going stellar, 3k baht a metre for  a six inch bore, in my area it may mean 75 metres! 

How deep do you want to go?

Fifteen metre bores are common and those local drillers are everywhere.

Fifty metre and over are more difficult to find but there are plenty in Maejo. But they are ALL very busy and waiting time is in months, plus prices are going stellar, 3k baht a metre for  a six inch bore, in my area it may mean 75 metres! 

Why do you need 6"?

4" has been enough in the past.

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Why do you need 6"?

4" has been enough in the past.

You don't, it's just that 6 inch seems to be a US standard for deep wells hence many people want that diameter. Also, 6 inch gives better options for submersible pumps, generally, the wider the bore the deeper the well can be, the greater the flow and the more powerful pump can be deployed.

I currently have a 3 inch bore on a 15 metre well running a standard centrifugal pump (which gives me about ten metres of draw). My next step up is a jet pump which could take me to about 18 metres, beyond that a submersible pump is needed but a three inch bore will limit the pump capacity. A four inch bore would let me go deeper and maintain capacity/flow volume but for deep wells (the OP specified deep wells), anything over 100 metres, a wider bore is needed hence six inch may be applicable. 

17 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

And the deep wells require a government permit.

Around here anything over 20 metres requires approval from the Amphur, in practise they never seem to refuse and the cost of approval is only about 560 baht.

1 minute ago, Pik said:

So far i have one quote; 4 inch pipe @ 1,200 per meter and 5 inch pipe @ 1,800 per meter . ... Mae Hia, Chiang Mai

Those prices are in line with what I've received this year and last.

How deep do you plan to go because depth does affect the price?

If you can get a friendly Thai to do the asking for you that may help price!

There's a few drillers in Mae Jo, heading North into MJ at the T-junction just before the light (big sign for MJ College ate light), on the right hand side - a second one the left after the market further down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2017 at 5:09 PM, Pik said:

So far i have one quote; 4 inch pipe @ 1,200 per meter and 5 inch pipe @ 1,800 per meter . ... Mae Hia, Chiang Mai

Does that include the submersible, electrics and plumbing to the house ?

On 16.2.2017 at 9:44 AM, chiang mai said:

You don't, it's just that 6 inch seems to be a US standard for deep wells hence many people want that diameter. Also, 6 inch gives better options for submersible pumps, generally, the wider the bore the deeper the well can be, the greater the flow and the more powerful pump can be deployed.

In our region (Isan, not CM) 4 inch pumps are plentiful, by far the biggest selection.

We have a 5 inch drill and only a 3 inch pump at 32m deep (usually we not need more than 600 liters per day to fill up the tank, done in 45 min or so). But I do not recommend 3 inch pumps as they are "rare"/"exotic".

I don't think a private house/villa needs a 6 inch pump (expect you have a golf course and/or swimming pool). Or the necessary depth is extreme. The manufacturers have data sheets with characteristic curves (flow over depth/pressure).

Such big pumps are used here for watering sugarcane fields etc.

Drill (about 50m) cost 25000 without pump or plumbing (DIY).

So 1200 per meter sounds quite expensive, but hey it's Chiang Mai.

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 5:01 AM, Gentlemc said:

K.Jarun ,He is an expert and professional http://jarunrungrut.exteen.com/  He knows how deep should be for many district and also do boring for submission too. 

I agree with Gentlemc, K.Jarun did a good well water drilling for me more than 10 years ago never have any problem and he give good advise for deep-well pump.

here near prasat : 4.500 b for a well +/- 30 m deep (connection to the automatic pump include) ... just to get water for one house (shower, toilet,sink , 2 outside taps and a kitchen sink) 

the drill on a small  pick up

must ask the locals for a phone number

thazil 2016 034.jpg