Another benefit of the Yellow Tabian Baan for foreigners

Wow guys!!!

I never expected such a "heated" debate to ensue from my original post about a small yellow booklet that I have personally found quite useful in my short 3 years living here.

I guess I'm not in Texas anymore.

I got my yellow book late 2013 at the Municipal office for Nong Prue

and only needed my Thai wife and 1 other Thai as witnesses.

That part made me smile.

Most guys I know would find "getting a Thai wife" an unacceptable requirement wink.png

A bank account doesn't require anything special. I got my first bank account about 12 years ago with just a tourist visa, using my Thai girlfriend's address, And I've gotten 3 more accounts from 3 other banks since with just a retirement visa. The problem is that some people working in some branches think you need a work permit. If someone told you a work permit was needed, you could just walk on down the street to another branch of the same bank and likely get your account. Or you could talk to the manager. I did this to open one of my accounts. I was told a work permit was needed, so I asked to talk to the manager. and she gave me the account. I'd guess there are 10s or 100s of thousands of expats with no work permits that have bank accounts in Thailand. Its really no big deal.

I also did that in the past. However, since most countries signed the Basil accord to combat money laundering and the finance of terror organisations it is becoming standard across the world and also here in LOS to have a valid work permit as a foreigner and usually some proof of address.

What do you mean enough said? You said, "there are lots of ways the yellow book can smooth out an official process"

yet can't even give me one example.

I have always submitted a translated copy of my yellow book with my wife's application for a visitor visa to the UK, 5 times now. Wether it smoothes out the process or not is anyone's guess but unlike most other documents submitted, the copy of the house book has never been returned with the passport.

Strange but my Thai wife has been in the UK on holiday about 10 times and I don;t remember ever showing MY yellow "tabien bahn". Why on earth would this help a Thai woman's UK visa?

My yellow book is the first requirement for the Citizenship process, this is by far the most important reason for getting one but if you don't work I guess it might come in handy for renewing your drivers license every five years if you got it after they changed it to lasting until your 70.

What do you mean enough said? You said, "there are lots of ways the yellow book can smooth out an official process"

I have always submitted a translated copy of my yellow book with my wife's application for a visitor visa to the UK, 5 times now. Wether it smoothes out the process or not is anyone's guess but unlike most other documents submitted, the copy of the house book has never been returned with the passport.

Strange but my Thai wife has been in the UK on holiday about 10 times and I don;t remember ever showing MY yellow "tabien bahn". Why on earth would this help a Thai woman's UK visa?

My yellow book is the first requirement for the Citizenship process, this is by far the most important reason for getting one but if you don't work I guess it might come in handy for renewing your drivers license every five years if you got it after they changed it to lasting until your 70.

Always a smartxxse. I never said it was necessary but a husband living in Thailand is the best help a Thai woman can have for a UK visitor visa.

I suppose you are of the opinion it is not a reason to return.

You don't even need it to renew your driving license, I've renewed mine the last couple of times without needing it...

Always a smartxxse. I never said it was necessary but a husband living in Thailand is the best help a Thai woman can have for a UK visitor visa.

I suppose you are of the opinion it is not a reason to return.

Excuse me, smartxxe, how so? Just pointing out the bloody obvious. So you pay for a translation every time? smile.png How much? I can understand you naivety the first time but there must be something you aren't telling as to why you find it necessary to give extra documents to get a simple visa for your wife. If you feel the need the next tie to get a translation, did you know you can translate it yourself ?

Actually, my response was to "Fairynuff" who is seemingly still searching for an example :cheesy:

Edited by Johnniey

I don't have a yellow book or pink card, but since my BKK ATM card has the Visa logo on it, I thought what the heck and ordered stuff with it online. I never thought it would be accepted since where my name should be it says "BE1ST Valued Customer", but it worked just like any other debit card for online purchases outside of the country. It would appear that they don't bother with the name, just the 16 digits, CCV and expiry date. Hyper secure I'm sure whistling.gif

Edited by Shiver

I don't have a yellow book or pink card, but since my BKK ATM card has the Visa logo on it, I thought what the heck and ordered stuff with it online. I never thought it would be accepted since where my name should be it says "BE1ST Valued Customer", but it worked just like any other debit card for online purchases outside of the country. It would appear that they don't bother with the name, just the 16 digits, CCV and expiry date. Hyper secure I'm sure whistling.gif

Try it at good hotel in Europe or try renting an airport car if you want to find its limitations... ;)

Try it at good hotel in Europe or try renting an airport car if you want to find its limitations... ;)