Another benefit of the Yellow Tabian Baan for foreigners

I have a savings account at Krung Thai Bank and wanted to open a second Visa Debit Card account so walked down to my local branch today to do so.

After showing them my existing savings book they asked me for my Work Permit. When I said I don't have one they responded that I would not be able to open a Visa Debit Card account.

I mentioned my Yellow Book and this was also acceptable so I toddled home, got the Yellow Book and went back.

Had a Visa Debit card account opened and was out of there in about 15 minutes.

Seems to me that the Yellow Book is a very handy document to have and not just for the above reason.

Not worth the bother IMHO. I've had one for over 15 years and only used it a couple of times. But if you don't have a WP, I guess you can use it to open a bank account. The main reason for getting one is to able to apply for Citizenship.

I've had a couple of friends who thought they had Thai citizenship with yellow books! It really isn't worth anything apart from saying you have an address.

Not worth the bother IMHO. I've had one for over 15 years and only used it a couple of times. But if you don't have a WP, I guess you can use it to open a bank account. The main reason for getting one is to able to apply for Citizenship.

I've had a couple of friends who thought they had Thai citizenship with yellow books! It really isn't worth anything apart from saying you have an address.

Each to their own I guess. It was no bother to obtain and very little cost if I recall. Being able to prove "residency" is very useful.

When you say a second Visa debit card account, I presume you mean a regular savings account that has a Visa encoded debit/ATM card associated with it? That being the case I don't understand why KT Bank may such a fuss about ID, especially since you already have an existing account with them? Having said that, KT Bank is known to be difficult with foreigners at times.

I have used my yellow book many times.

It was very useful getting visas for my wife to visit Australia, all the other requirements vanished.

It has assisted the opening of bank accounts and many other small things.

I am very glad I went to the trouble of obtaining this.

I have used my yellow book many times.

It was very useful getting visas for my wife to visit Australia, all the other requirements vanished.

It has assisted the opening of bank accounts and many other small things.

I am very glad I went to the trouble of obtaining this.

Each to their own I guess. It was no bother to obtain and very little cost if I recall. Being able to prove "residency" is very useful.

I got my yellow book in Rayong last year and it was a hassle, 2 visits to the amphor and 3 Thai witnesses separate from my wife required. Friends who've had yellow books for a number of years said it was easier to obtain in the past.

Seems you have some pretty thick friends! However, if you research the forum a little you'll find there are lots of ways the yellow book can smooth out an official process

OK sorry for being naive but how do you get the yellow book or pink ID card

I got my yellow book late 2013 at the Municipal office for Nong Prue and only needed my Thai wife and 1 other Thai as witnesses.

I guess I was just lucky.

In 1980, when it was possible, I opened a Bangkok Bank account to send money to my then Thai girlfriend.

All I had then was a tourist visa.

I had that account for many years.

There is a woman in that same branch of Bangkok Bank, now working in the foreign exchange desk.

She has been working there for over 30 years. due to retire next year.

Back in the 1980's her son and my girlfriends son used to play together at a local swimming pool in Bangkok.

My Thai girlfriend's son is now 45 years old but that woman in that branch of Bangkok Bank still remembered my Thai girlfriend's son and my Thai girlfriend from the 1980's in 2010 and helped me set up my retirement account fund.

I now have my monthly retirement pension sent to Bangkok Bank by direct deposit, and each time I go into that branch, that woman still asks me about my Thai girlfriend that I left in 2013.

Sometimes that is how things work in Thailand.

Just pure luck.

Seems you have some pretty thick friends! However, if you research the forum a little you'll find there are lots of ways the yellow book can smooth out an official process

Rather a vicious response. Why not give me one example yourself? I have worked here for 31 years and know exactly what uses the yellow book has.

The yellow book is free. Strange you can't remember that.

You can get a residency letter at immigration for free. They do however charge gullible foreigners I heard.

You can get a residency letter at immigration for free. They do however charge gullible foreigners I heard.

"They do however charge gullible foreigners I heard".

They also charge those who can't be bothered driving 40 miles each way to the Immigration Offices, twice, and waiting for ten days in order to get it for free, I heard.

They also charge those who can't be bothered driving 40 miles each way to the Immigration Offices, twice, and waiting for ten days in order to get it for free, I heard.

If they try that con, tell them you know your rights.

You're new here aren't you, we can tell!

Immigration in CM has a process poster displayed prominently showing the steps and the time scales involved, it states ten days.

I have 4 bank accounts (had 5 but closed one), never had a work permit or anything more than my passport. I am retired here.

Rather a vicious response. Why not give me one example yourself? I have worked here for 31 years and know exactly what uses the yellow book has.

You've lived here for 31 years know exactly how it works, and you're asking ME to give you examples! Enough said ( hope that's not too vicious)

A bank account doesn't require anything special. I got my first bank account about 12 years ago with just a tourist visa, using my Thai girlfriend's address, And I've gotten 3 more accounts from 3 other banks since with just a retirement visa. The problem is that some people working in some branches think you need a work permit. If someone told you a work permit was needed, you could just walk on down the street to another branch of the same bank and likely get your account. Or you could talk to the manager. I did this to open one of my accounts. I was told a work permit was needed, so I asked to talk to the manager. and she gave me the account. I'd guess there are 10s or 100s of thousands of expats with no work permits that have bank accounts in Thailand. Its really no big deal.

I knew it wasn't much but I recalled my wife telling me she paid something at the time.... may have just been photocopying forms or her "lunch" or similar

Wether you get a yellow book and ID card or not is entirely up to individuals. There is no defiant I've answer to get or not get. Look through some of the threads one Amphoe charges takes weeks another free get it in a day!!!! Some banks DTO offices ect accept book/ID as proof of address some don't. Luck of the draw I would say. Me yes I have both now used book once to open a bank account and used ID card At DTO. However when I tried to ask at immigration office if they accepted either swift answer NO. Then next say used yellow book in same Immigration office diffrent face. So in the end personal choice. Although I do think the so called ID card is a bit of a joke.

Obviously, youre someone who likes to wait 8 hours to get a piece of paper from the man who makes money conning 'gullible but cant be bothered with waiting 8 hours to get a piece of paper' farangs. Ill pay you 100bt to go fetch mine when i next need 1.

You've lived here for 31 years know exactly how it works, and you're asking ME to give you examples! Enough said ( hope that's not too vicious)

What do you mean enough said? You said, "there are lots of ways the yellow book can smooth out an official process"

yet can't even give me one example.

Edited by Johnniey

I guess I was just lucky.

In 1980, when it was possible, I opened a Bangkok Bank account to send money to my then Thai girlfriend.

All I had then was a tourist visa.

I had that account for many years.

There is a woman in that same branch of Bangkok Bank, now working in the foreign exchange desk.

She has been working there for over 30 years. due to retire next year.

Back in the 1980's her son and my girlfriends son used to play together at a local swimming pool in Bangkok.

My Thai girlfriend's son is now 45 years old but that woman in that branch of Bangkok Bank still remembered my Thai girlfriend's son and my Thai girlfriend from the 1980's in 2010 and helped me set up my retirement account fund.

I now have my monthly retirement pension sent to Bangkok Bank by direct deposit, and each time I go into that branch, that woman still asks me about my Thai girlfriend that I left in 2013.

Sometimes that is how things work in Thailand.

Just pure luck.

Maybe not just luck. There are real people everywhere.smile.png

What do you mean enough said? You said, "there are lots of ways the yellow book can smooth out an official process"

It would appear you have relied on your WP to get through government processes, however many of us are retired and have no intention of working.

The Thais use their ID card and Blue House Book for most processes.

A foreigner can integrate into Thai society much easier by obtaining a Yellow House Book and the ID card. It removes the constant request for Certificates of Residency for opening Bank Accounts, obtaining/changing Driving Licences, taxing/insuring a vehicle, obtaining a tax number, purchasing and selling a vehicle, to name but a few.

I recently moved house, obtained a new Yellow House Book and an ID card.

I then changed my address details with the bank, my vehicle registration book, and obtained new Driving Licences without the need of my Passport, a Certificate of Residence, or numerous photocopies of various documents.

The Bank andGovernment departments accepted my ID card and Tabian Baan as proof of ID and address, just the same as they do with Thais.

They are not a necessity to live in Thailand, but sure make life easier.

Edited by Faz

"taxing/insuring a vehicle, obtaining a tax number", - a tabien bahn is not required for those things, an ordinary driving license will suffice.

To be honest, there is only marginal benefit from having a tabien bahn, sure you may save a couple hundred baht on residency certificates from time to time but above and beyond that they're of no real no real use. I've found over the past fifteen years here that a simple driving license will usually suffice, on rare occasions a passport is required for something, no big deal however.

I have always submitted a translated copy of my yellow book with my wife's application for a visitor visa to the UK, 5 times now. Wether it smoothes out the process or not is anyone's guess but unlike most other documents submitted, the copy of the house book has never been returned with the passport.

"taxing/insuring a vehicle, obtaining a tax number", - a tabien bahn is not required for those things, an ordinary driving license will suffice.

To be honest, there is only marginal benefit from having a tabien bahn, sure you may save a couple hundred baht on residency certificates from time to time but above and beyond that they're of no real no real use. I've found over the past fifteen years here that a simple driving license will usually suffice, on rare occasions a passport is required for something, no big deal however.

Anything listed here as benefits of having a yellow book I've been able to do with a driving license or a posted bank statement or phone bill...

I have a yellow book but I've never "needed" to use it, never even left the house with it....