Cuban Cigars

kbelyeu

TV,

The wife and myself have been wanting to travel to the states to visit family but the <deleted> at the embassy won't give her a visa. We went ahead and applied for CR/1 visa and this one looks like it will fly but will require us to relocate to the USA for a couple years. I have a large electric humidor (approx 1 meter by 1 meter) that is full of cubans and I will not be able to import them into the USA. I was thinking of having a private sale of the entire collection (no singles) but I am not sure of the legality of doing this. I have considered leaving them here but this is probably a bad idea because they need constant monitoring for proper humidity and temperature and to ensure no pests take root.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Kurt

Edited by CharlieH
language removed

Sell them on Craigslist or Facebook maybe , how much do you want for them?

I know how to sell them.. I was more concerned about the legalities..

I have 20+ boxes ranging from 300USD to 800USD a box.. not exactly sure how much the total collection would be.

This would be for a serious collector.. or someone wanting to get into collecting and aging cubans.

Kurt

So, that is an average of 55 USD per box.....Retail. How many cigars per box?

Surely you are being cheeky.. more like 55+ per stick. Some of the higher end boxes are 10 to a box but otherwise most boxes are 20 to 25 sticks per box.

Kurt

You're more likely to move them if you sell them by the box instead of trying to sell them as one lot, IMO. I'd be surprised if you are able to get full retail price on all of them....you might want to consider charging a premium for hard to find sticks and/or Limited Editions and sell the regular production stuff at a discount. Good luck.

Surely you are being cheeky.. more like 55+ per stick. Some of the higher end boxes are 10 to a box but otherwise most boxes are 20 to 25 sticks per box.

Kurt

Don't think so, you need to sell. People can also buy them elsewhere (cheaper)

Kurt

Don't think so, you need to sell. People can also buy them elsewhere (cheaper)

You are entitled to your opinion but when was the last time you purchased a cuban cigar?

Kurt

Edited by kbelyeu

Kurt, as much as I don't particularly care for FritzSikkink, he is correct in that one can find authentic Cuban cigars on-line for about half the retail price they sell for in Thailand.

Montecristo Edmundos, for example, are currently at $230 USD for a box of 25. Partagas Series D #4 are $210 USD for a box of 25. And so forth.

The monopoly prices charged by Pacific Cigar (the sole distributor to retail outlets in Asia), combined with Thai taxes, make buying cigars in Thailand much more expensive than necessary.

last week

Ok.. I will bite. Could you describe this cigar? Brand, Age, Length and Ring Gauge?

Kurt

You bite? Who do you think you are the only cigar smoker here? Monte Christo and I don't give a shit about the details, there are a lot of Dominicans nowadays who are better.

Why would it not be legal to sell your Cuban cigars here?

Cuban cigars are legally sold here in Thailand but expensive.

If you have unopened boxes to sell you might want to contact Pacific Cigars.

He thinks he is really special and everybody is waiting for his cigars against Thai prices. Anyone with a bit of a brain will have some friends who bring them in a lot cheaper.

You can now fly to Cuba from USA Florida 15 minutes and bring back 100 cigars. Just list it as gift.

PRICES PLUMMETING.....

Sorry mate.. you are allowed 100 USD worth of Cuban cigars so depending upon what you like to smoke this could only be a few. I am not saying you would not get away with it.. but the rules are as stated the CBP website.

Kurt

Kurt, as much as I don't particularly care for FritzSikkink, he is correct in that one can find authentic Cuban cigars on-line for about half the retail price they sell for in Thailand.

Montecristo Edmundos, for example, are currently at $230 USD for a box of 25. Partagas Series D #4 are $210 USD for a box of 25. And so forth.

The monopoly prices charged by Pacific Cigar (the sole distributor to retail outlets in Asia), combined with Thai taxes, make buying cigars in Thailand much more expensive than necessary.

Diplomatico,

Thanks for your thoughtful post.. I have a variety of Cubans such as Partagas Serie D #2 on the less expensive end then I have Behinke's and many Aged Limited Editions on the expensive end which are in excess of 800 USD per box (not retail pricing). I am not really sure how this conversation ran into the retail realm as it was never mentioned by myself. To further add I simply pondered the legality of putting my collection up for sale but this seems to have brought out the worst of some members.

Again thanks..

Edited by kbelyeu

He thinks he is really special and everybody is waiting for his cigars against Thai prices. Anyone with a bit of a brain will have some friends who bring them in a lot cheaper.

I see the troll has come out the play today.

Kurt

last week

Ok.. I will bite. Could you describe this cigar? Brand, Age, Length and Ring Gauge?

Kurt

You bite? Who do you think you are the only cigar smoker here? Monte Christo and I don't give a shit about the details, there are a lot of Dominicans nowadays who are better.

So a cigar is just a cigar in your book? I am happy you enjoy non Cubans.. to each their own but this conversation was about Cubans.

Kurt

I see the troll has come out the play today.

Kurt

not a troll, just someone who bites back

I noticed one post mentioned "plummeting prices". Is it speculated that that the inevitable flooding of tourists soon from the USA will bring Cuban sticks down dramatically?

To the OP: If you don't want to get rid of the collection, I'll agree to look after them for you in exchange for smoking no more than one a month until you pick them up OBO. biggrin.png

Edited by Inn Between