TAT hopes to tap into population of rich Germans for tourism

webfact

TAT hopes to tap into population of rich Germans for tourism
By Coconuts Bangkok

2701713641_8140a120da_z.jpg
Photo: W/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- Because the EU’s economic problems are not thought to affect Germany as much as some other European nations, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is attempting to lure high-spending German vacationers to the country.

Even though some of Europe is experiencing a financial slowdown, and Brexit has made the short-term financial future of the UK uncertain, the TAT still believes that 68 percent of monied Europeans will continue to travel abroad. They hope that many will choose Thailand as their destination.

Thailand’s largest populations of European tourists hail from Russia, the UK and Germany. Of those three, Germany is the country with the strongest economy right now, according to Bangkok Post.

However, tourism income from Germany into Thailand has been slowing as well. The TAT’s new strategy is not to get more Germans to visit the country but only the ones who will spend more per person.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/22/tat-hopes-tap-population-rich-germans-tourism

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-22

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Targeting Chinese for quantity to stimulate the economy while targeting Germans for quality.

They are doing something right. The tourist numbers are relentlessly rising albeit the little hiccup just before the coup.

For the sake of Thailand's tourist industry and the people working within it I hope the target is met. When looking at tourist number FACTS (official figures released globally by third party entities that I have shown here) it seems to be working.

Well done.

Well how are going to get there weiner snitchulted here with crack down on Thailand main lure?

Is there a translator in the forum?

Don't know but getting "Weiner snitchulted" sounds like it could be painful.

Well how are going to get there weiner snitchulted here with crack down on Thailand main lure?

I think he's trying to say that without the sexy Thai sirens they will have trouble getting their Wieners in the Senf. wink.png

Don't know but getting "Weiner snitchulted" sounds like it could be painful.

I think it's a spare part for a Volkswagon.

What Thailand don't understand is that if a person comes to Thailand or any other country and has a bad experience it is less likely they will return. The saying " fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" is what comes to mind. People also read or hear from those who have visited before all the terrible things that happen here and are afraid to come. When an old retired farang lady gets beaten up and put in the hospital for days it is not a great reflection on Thailand. Older people with money want to go to safe interesting places. Thailand don't fall into that category anymore.

Are they going to request that the Germans show their income tax returns or bank account information prior to issuing a visa in order to determine whether or not they fall into the rich category.

More blah blah blah from useless ministers.

Edited by Rayk

If they want the European market ,a major focus should be on repeat visitors: and that would pre-suppose that people had a great first, second, third trip: something unique drawing them back for another round. Problem is the competition is coming up fast and Thailand might be considered yesterday's destination as people are drawn to Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, Sri Lanka....even India now getting over itself and introducing an E-visa.

No one is going to Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey, Kenya. The Carribean is too boring, Miami is too American, Hawaii is too far, Cuba is too rough.

Cashed up tourists want to spend but what does Thailand offer ? Great food/restaurants, nice entertainment venues/bars but pretty lousy shopping: either poorly designed, super expensive malls ( are people going to fly thousands of miles to shop at H&M, Zara, Etc? ). Other than that there is the mountains of crap in the night markets/street vendors.

Some of my Australian neighbours visit Thailand every year, at least once: but they barely leave the hotel grounds. They view it as a sunny resort with good food and everything outside is a bit tacky.

TAT keeps talking up the figures but the hotels are doing it tough: rates are far lower now, in real terms, than 20 or 30 years ago.

Thailand has thousands and thousands of loyal repeat visitors but really needs millions of them just to stay even.

"...TAT’s new strategy is not to get more Germans to visit the country but only the ones who will spend more per person..."

Have a look at TAT's own visitation stats (http://www.tourism.go.th/home/listcontent/11/221/276) and be Amazed by their logic!

post-209291-0-81993600-1469183022_thumb.

Why don't they simply try to get their No. 1 guests to spend more money (and forget about trying to milk the other nationalities)?

Maybe, they only offer volume deals for Chinese, while other visitors are expected to pay a premium.

Yes, yes, all the rich Germans I know are just waiting to be "lured" to visit Thailand.

The three quarters of a million Germans they've been getting last year (see waldroj's statistic above) probably weren't wealthy enough to qualify for the high standards envisioned by TAT. They were mostly dirt poor buggers hardly spending anything. Better get rid of them pronto and replace them with the plenty of super rich allegedly dwelling in Germany at the moment. You know, those who usually frequent Bora-Bora, the Maldives, Seychelles, where the beaches aren't filthy and where there isn't a garbage dump lurking behind every other sand dune.

Edited by Misterwhisper