O-A Renewal Information - Got my OA today

New York is claiming 10 working days for a visa turnaround but in reality, they are turning them around overnight. If you get the paperwork to them in the AM, by presenting it yourself or mailing it to them, they will likely send it out the following day. My paperwork for myself and my son got there 10AM Wednesday and I just got my overnight today, which is Friday.

So now I have my O-A.

Let me correct a few misinformations that I was told along the way.

My O-A visa says I must enter before 19 July 2017. I am sure I was told there was a three-month expiration for using it. By looking at it, I could use it up until almost 1 year from now.

The O Visa for my son says he must enter prior to 19 Oct 2016 which would be three months.

I was told that if I leave and re-enter the country on the day of expiration, that the O-A visa will renew for one more year.

Am I correct in assuming that I DO NOT need to show 800,000b in a Thai Bank for this to happen? Please give me exact info on how to stretch this O-A into a 2 year multiple entry visa. And that is a question, if it renews for another year, does it continue to be a multiple entry visa?

Also, leaving and re-entering on the very last day, can that be done at a land border crossing, or only by air?

Thanks,

Edited by stuck

O-A visa....there is no "three month expiration".

You do not need to show 800,000 THB in a Thai bank to make your visa last two years. Simply leave/enter prior to the "enter before date" and you'll be stamped in for another year (that's every time you do this, btw) from the date you re-enter the country.

After the "enter before date", you'll need a re-entry permit to keep the permission to stay valid (in other words, during the second year, you'll need a re-entry permit.) It's only multiple entry until the "enter before" date.

I've never crossed by land but see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do so using a current and valid O-A visa.

What does immigration mark in your passport? Do they modify the O-A visa or use a different stamp that denotes the extension? Would you mind showing me what it looks like? Getting this damn O-A Visa was horrible. The bank was a pain. My doctor was an idiot about it. It cost me a fortune, but if I can squeak two years out of it, it makes it worth it.

Edited by stuck

• You can enter as many times as you want on or before 19 July 2017.
  • Every time you enter you will get a new 1 year permit to stay.
  • The visa ends on 19 July 2017 and cannot be used after that date or "renewed".
  • If you enter on 19 July 2017 you will be granted permission to stay for 1 year until 18 July 2018.
  • You can exit/re-enter at a land border.
  • You can exit and re-enter during the last year, but you need to buy a re-entry permit. Single entry 1,000 baht; Multiple entry 3,800 baht.
  • If you exit and re-enter with a re-entry permit you will always be granted permission to stay until 18 July 2018 (based on the example dates).
  • Like 1

What does immigration mark in your passport? Do they modify the O-A visa or use a different stamp that denotes the extension? Would you mind showing me what it looks like? Getting this damn O-A Visa was horrible. The bank was a pain. My doctor was an idiot about it. It cost me a fortune, but if I can squeak two years out of it, it makes it worth it.

• Whenever you enter using the visa you'll have a normal 'admitted until' stamp in your passport giving you permission to stay for 1 year.
  • The visa is never modified or extended.

• The visa ends on 19 July 2017 and cannot be used after that date or "renewed".

What are the recommended days before 19 July 2017 to extend my stay based on Marriage/Taking care of a Thai/Retirement?

What are the recommended days before 19 July 2017 to extend my stay based on Marriage/Taking care of a Thai/Retirement?

If you want to get nearly 2 years from this visa you should do exactly as you say in your OP and make your last entry using the visa on or as close to 19 July 2017. Entering, for example, on 19 July 2017 will give you permission to stay until 18 July 2018.

You do not need to apply for an extension of stay until within the last 30 days before 18 July 2018. At that point you can apply for an extension for any reason you qualify for.

If you want to get nearly 2 years from this visa you should do exactly as you say in your OP and make your last entry using the visa on or as close to 19 July 2017. Entering, for example, on 19 July 2017 will give you permission to stay until 18 July 2018.

You do not need to apply for an extension of stay until within the last 30 days before 18 July 2018. At that point you can apply for an extension for any reason you qualify for.

Yes, you are quite correct, I meant to change that to 2018. So assuming I leave and enter on the day of expiration, I'll get a whole year more. I will be qualified for all three.

Retirement is 800,000

Marriage is 400,000

What is taking care of a Thai in baht? It will be my son and maybe my then adopted Thai daughter.

Edited by stuck

Yes, you are quite correct, I meant to change that to 2018. So assuming I leave and enter on the day of expiration, I'll get a whole year more. I will be qualified for all three.

Retirement is 800,000

Marriage is 400,000

What is taking care of a Thai in baht? It will be my son and maybe my then adopted Thai daughter.

Yes you do. But I recommend you exit/re-enter a few days before the visa expires. If you leave it to the last day, and have a problem that stops you re-entering on the expiry date, you'll lose out on that 2nd year.

Being the parent of a Thai is 400K (same as married), but the 400K only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply. Some offices may not let you apply as a parent if you are married in which case the 400K would need to be in the bank for 2 months before the application date.