Seating on the Beach Road

MrMuddle

Hi, it looks as though we are going to be taking a trip to Pattaya, from up North, to buy a few items. Last time we were there, 3 or 4 years ago, the little walls and areas for seating along the Beach Road had been replaced by really uncomfortable benches. I assume in an effort to get rid of the girls that used to hang around them. Are the same seats still there ? I'm in my 60s and like to walk a couple of hundred yards, then sit for a while, before continuing in the same manner. Don't the local authority consider that people are on holiday and like to sit and relax ? I'd always enjoyed a few days beside the sea, but didn't like the holiday last time we were there.

There are a very few seats at the northern end..then you'll have to either sit on the steps leading down to the beach or rent a chair.

The girls are still there.

But not as many sadly and quality has taken a huge dive also

p.s. this assessment applies to both seating and ladies...........clap2.gif

Walk north from Central Festival there is some seating.

South of Festival there is no seating...

Most of the seating was dumped on the far far north end where there is to much seating

and it hardly gets used...

I use to walk the beach every day but now the day walks are hot and no fun...

They really screwed the promenade up...And they did it on purpose...

Walk north from Central Festival there is some seating.

South of Festival there is no seating...

Most of the seating was dumped on the far far north end where there is to much seating

and it hardly gets used...

I use to walk the beach every day but now the day walks are hot and no fun...

They really screwed the promenade up...And they did it on purpose...

They have deliberately removed virtually all of the old-growth shade trees and almost all of the places to sit on both Pattaya Beach and Jomtien Beach. The end result is a disaster unless you love standing/walking/jogging in the blazing hot sun.

I'm not interested in the lasses, (apart from looking at them), I just need to rest my legs every few hundred yards. biggrin.png

Thailand like all Third World countries isn't friendly to the handicapped. Better get one of these:

post-14882-0-02538000-1469504544_thumb.j

post-14882-0-66597500-1469504624_thumb.j

Starting at B189 at Lazada. Better, use a portable rolling walker something like this:

post-14882-0-00969600-1469504704_thumb.j

I've seen an aged farang about 90 I guess who used his standard walker to shuffle into a go-go, whereupon the girls promptly stole it and held it for ransom. So I know it's doable. smile.png

And you can likely attach an umbrella, or just wear a large hat & sunscreen.

Sorted. smile.png

I'm not interested in the lasses, (apart from looking at them), I just need to rest my legs every few hundred yards. biggrin.png

Go down around 4pm at the bottom of soi 9 on the beach by the "jet ski dispute hut" there are a couple of seats under the tree,s PLUS and its a big plus you can marvel at the BIB daily parade..............clap2.gif

that will put a smile on your face...thumbsup.gif

Mr. Muddle, I think you'll find the reports of "no shade" typically exaggerated. Though there's hardly as much shade as before--which is bitterly disappointing--currently the palm trees do provide sufficient shade and hence you'll see plenty of tourists walking/jogging/bicycling on the promenade during the day, including old codgers. Some areas also do have old growth trees remaining.

Enjoy your stay!

There are a very few seats at the northern end..then you'll have to either sit on the steps leading down to the beach or rent a chair.

The girls are still there.

But not as many sadly and quality has taken a huge dive also

p.s. this assessment applies to both seating and ladies...........clap2.gif

. Quality on Beach Road, are u bonkers...

the most southerly bench is opposite the soi 9 cop shop.

most as has been mentioned were deliberately put towards the north end where there are more benches than tourists.

south of the cop shop the options are only around an artwork/sculpture opposite central festival and the steps around the wheelchair access boardwalk opposite mike shopping and that's it.

the southern artwork seating near soi 13/4 is closed off for now and has been some time

Mr. Muddle, I think you'll find the reports of "no shade" typically exaggerated. Though there's hardly as much shade as before--which is bitterly disappointing--currently the palm trees do provide sufficient shade and hence you'll see plenty of tourists walking/jogging/bicycling on the promenade during the day, including old codgers. Some areas also do have old growth trees remaining.

Enjoy your stay!

The promenade was never just about walking/jogging/bicycling. The main activity was sitting and people watching, or chatting with friends.

I used to buy lunch and sit in the shade opposite the police station to eat it. Can't do that anymore.

Thanks to all posters for some informative and interesting replies ! biggrin.png

I,ll be looking for a small green guy wearing a red hat in the next few days down there............biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

p.s. if you decide to come in disguise let us know will you clap2.gif

Enjoy your stay!

The promenade was never just about walking/jogging/bicycling. The main activity was sitting and people watching, or chatting with friends.

I used to buy lunch and sit in the shade opposite the police station to eat it. Can't do that anymore.

Whether that was really the main activity is open to dispute. I suppose one might be so wrapped up in his own activity that he's unaware of others. Mr. Muddle, now, expressed no particular desire to buy lunch and sit in the shade opposite the police station and eat it. Mr. Muddle, you can't do that, OK?

Everything changes and nothing stands still.

--Heraclitus

Enjoy your stay!

Whether that was really the main activity is open to dispute. I suppose one might be so wrapped up in his own activity that he's unaware of others. Mr. Muddle, now, expressed no particular desire to buy lunch and sit in the shade opposite the police station and eat it. Mr. Muddle, you can't do that, OK?

--Heraclitus

Erm, you seem to misunderstand the purpose of an open forum, which is to diseminate information and ideas, not all of which has to be tailored specifically to what the OP wrote, as long as it is relevant.

As for the main activity, given that you have claimed in past discussions to merely pass through in your car, how would you know? I can state that in all my walks along the promenade, the main activites are walking and sitting.

The main activities have been: walking, jogging, sitting (and people watching). It is almost beyond belief that anyone would actually claim that the shade provided by the palm trees is sufficient. They provide almost no shade. Cutting down the old-growth trees was a huge, unforgiveable mistake. In addition to being beautiful, they provided much-needed shade and helped prevent beach erosion. Even monkeys are smart enough to understand the value of the old-growth trees. Somehow that understanding escapes a certain group of people. Both promenade renovation projects--in Pattaya and Jomtien--are a disaster. They need to destroy all that they created, hire a foreign firm to create new promenades (people friendly w/ lots of shade and places to sit and socialize) and plant as many Asian Almond and Ironwood trees as possible on both beaches. The only good news about the beach renovation projects is that they stand as prime examples of what not to do in terms of beach promenade renovation. People outside of Thailand can learn from the gross mistakes that were just made here.

How to make Pattayas promenade beautiful and fictional again...

#1.Tear out the whole awful brick walkway...The concept of different patterns and different

colors in different sections is just retarded and does not work...

#2 Cut down 85% of those bloody palm trees....Build a huge bonfire with them and have a

city wide weenie roast......

#3 Plant lot and lots of real trees...Broad leaf trees that provide shade...

#4 Put lots and lots of seating back on the promenade the way it was before..

#5 Get rid of those horrible stadium prison yard flood lights...Put in some decent lighting....

Pattaya will have a wonderful beach front again if they could do at least some of these

things...

--Heraclitus

Erm, you seem to misunderstand the purpose of an open forum, which is to diseminate information and ideas, not all of which has to be tailored specifically to what the OP wrote, as long as it is relevant.

As for the main activity, given that you have claimed in past discussions to merely pass through in your car, how would you know? I can state that in all my walks along the promenade, the main activites are walking and sitting.

Ah, but you've not met your own criterion, as what you (cough) call "information and ideas" aren't relevant. Still not over the Tic-Related Promenade OCD, eh. A number of unfortunate posters also contracted it during the epic promenade construction thread. Now they'll all be piling in here with similar irrelevancy we've all heard countless times before and turn Mr. Muddle's innocent request into yet another chorus of whinging, giving the poor man entirely the wrong impression.

Despite it all, though, I think he's still going to enjoy his walk on the promenade. Yeah, yeah, would've enjoyed it more before. Got it.

Off-topic posts are deleted all the time, as I think yours really should have been, except I suppose fond senior citizens' reminiscences of days gone by merit a certain indulgence. But nobody cares in the slightest whether you used to buy lunch and sit in the shade opposite the police station and eat it--and think you can no longer do it. So what? That was then; this is now. To buy lunch and sit in the shade opposite the police station and eat it just wasn't an entitlement guaranteed for you into perpetuity. Get over it.

As I don't own a car, I could hardly have made any such claim, nor can you produce it. In fact I did state I've sat and walked on the promenade, as not surprisingly you've quite forgotten. I've often sat across from the promenade, too, and still do. laugh.png

Now, I've already given generous allowance to your obsession and even warned Mr. Muddle on your behalf! Mr. Muddle should also be careful when walking near the bankrupt Central (Fools! Anyone stupid enough to build a place that charges Bangkok prices in a small tourist resort town deserves to go bankrupt.) as he may get hit by falling debris when it falls down. Anything else? You have a lo-o-o-ng list, after all, which you surely imagine relevant here to Mr. Muddle's wondering about the seating.

That one must have either walked, sat, or stood on the promenade (and now bicycle) hardly needs stating (even here!), but most I think will affirm that wasn't the main activity; no doubt The Authorities took this fact into account when they removed a lot of seating, as other posters have speculated--so that walking and to a lesser extent now, sitting, do seem the main activity esp. when you consider that so many tourists walking there are Chinese. But we can just agree to disagree on that point. biggrin.png

I have found ample seating along beach road….but it is just filthy as are many of the folks who squat there.

Carry a small towel or rolled up dining table place mat if you venture down this route….assuming your ass fits on one of them mats of course.

On 28/7/2559 at 4:54 PM, petermik said:

I,ll be looking for a small green guy wearing a red hat in the next few days down there............biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

p.s. if you decide to come in disguise let us know will you clap2.gif

Hopefully we'll get a bit of sunshine, and I'll be Dark Green !   :D

6 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Don't screw up beach front park land - a fact obvious to the simplest of minds.:D

Yes, ma'am. But it seems that even if MrMuddle hadn't realized the obvious, he's by now received sufficient information to accomplish his walk on the promenade without screwing up any beach front park land.

Archived