Punctures due to low profile tyres on SUV?

Hi Guys,

I've been looking at different alloys/wheels for my Everest.

I'm thinking about going full bifter on them and really like Lenso's Black Angel V3 in the 22" size.

http://www.lensowheel.co.th/webs/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=B03

I would look to fit Yokohama PARADA Spec-X 285/45R22-114V tyres to these.

I don't off road the car at all, however one of my friend's said that low profile tyres are prone to punctures from rocks, etc. Is this true?

Cheers.

i once had a simple 'kerb - touch' with lpt's set off my side airbags (suzuki something). it felt like i hit a concrete wall, but.

neither the tyre nor the rim were damaged but the replacement of the airbag cost me euro 1800 - and the insurance did NOT pay.

running 235/35/20 tires in the missus's Camry. not a single puncture in the past 12 months.

How many km's and what type of roads?

km's = 25,000 per year approx

road type = sealed (urban, motorway and highway)

Is the 45 profile much skinnier than the std 50 profile on my current 265/50/20?

45% x 285 is 4mm less sidewall height than 50% x 265.

3% less sidewall probably won't make a huge difference if the tyre characteristics are similar.

Personally I am not a fan of slim tyres and big diameter wheels on pickups and PPVs. They can make the brakes look too small.

Edited by Jitar

Yes, it is true. Best to upgrade to something less space wasting and eco friendly. This little country isn't the same size as the US, neither does it have infrastructure to support such modes of transport.

No. it's not true, 45s are no more susceptible to punctures than 50s in the same driving conditions. Why would they be?

"Best to upgrade to something less space wasting and eco friendly."

What does that mean? What upgrade from 20" wheels would be less "space wasting" and more "eco friendly"?

Thailand does not have the infrastructure to support SUVs? What?

Just been watching 5th gear. They tested a Small Vauxhall car that had large rims and low profile tyres.

They did it on a test track that was designed for speed's up to 40mph they did it at 50mph result split side walls flat tyres.

Conclusion they said that it wasn't a good idea to have large rims + low profile tyres on crap roads.

We all know that Thai roads are some of the best in the world so it's up to you if you want to use that set up.

N/B New car and tyres.

Edited by fredob43

Why do people want to ruin ride quality for looks? Unless you're driving a high performance car all low profiles do is increase road noise and make you want to tiptoe over any little bump in the road.

My car has 215/45SR17 91W tyres and I'm always looking out for bumps. I've changed 3 rims due to distortion from hitting bumps in 3 years. Punctures don't increase but on my lightweight car there have been times when I've had a puncture and didn't know until cornering.

@Demin. Low profiles allow sports cars to corner faster.

Edited by Farma

Why do people want to ruin ride quality for looks? Unless you're driving a high performance car all low profiles do is increase road noise and make you want to tiptoe over any little bump in the road.

My car has 215/45SR17 91W tyres and I'm always looking out for bumps. I've changed 3 rims due to distortion from hitting bumps in 3 years. Punctures don't increase but on my lightweight car there have been times when I've had a puncture and didn't know until cornering.

I have 215/45/17 on my civic and they are indeed choppy. A better option is keeping the same diameter but going wider. this will give the same profile. I went from 185/55/16 to 205/55/16 on my swift. I was getting a number of punctures in the thin eco tyres. The wider tread also gives better grip under hard braking.

the 20" tyres on the missus's car are quieter than the OEM tires. cornering and braking are much better as well.

I had to get new tires for my car recently and at that point had to make a decision to get new alloys or not. The 4 tires were almost 50k, so I didn't want to end up making the wrong decision and ending up having to buy a new set of tires & wheels a little later on.

Apparently - run-flats generate a little extra noise and low profiles a fair amount of extra noise. The car was already fitted with run-flats, so I opted for those but no low-profiles.

For the wheels - I went to "Auto Mag Wheel" - they can customize your existing wheels. It takes a week to do but well worth it. I changed my wheels to gun metal grey, so they are manufacturer shape but unique in color. Total cost to have them done was about 6,000 Baht I think and they look great.

I had to get new tires for my car recently and at that point had to make a decision to get new alloys or not. The 4 tires were almost 50k, so I didn't want to end up making the wrong decision and ending up having to buy a new set of tires & wheels a little later on.

Apparently - run-flats generate a little extra noise and low profiles a fair amount of extra noise. The car was already fitted with run-flats, so I opted for those but no low-profiles.

For the wheels - I went to "Auto Mag Wheel" - they can customize your existing wheels. It takes a week to do but well worth it. I changed my wheels to gun metal grey, so they are manufacturer shape but unique in color. Total cost to have them done was about 6,000 Baht I think and they look great.

What brand and size of RFT did you purchase ?

Continental Sport Contact 3e

Front: 245/45 18

Rear: 275/40 18

Originally had Michelins but nobody had stock.

Edited by Dagnabbit

Continental Sport Contact 3e

Front: 245/45 18

Rear: 275/40 18

Originally had Michelins but nobody had stock.

I am running the following RFT on a 3 series, and when the time comes I will replace with Michelin PS3 from B Quik, cost around 37k all in.

RFT for me are very good except for the noise.

Front 225 x 40 x 18

Rear 255 x 35 x 18

Edited by Isan Farang

Get the widest practical rim width 10-11" IN 20"Diameter

They will handle the rough Thai roads better.

I have a BT 50

11"

295/45 Toyo Proxes

As these are wide, they extend past the width of the guards, I got some plastic flares +40mm also.

If you don't want them sticking out do not get wider wheels than 10"

Use a tyre with the same rolling diameter( this will determine the correct aspect ratio) to the standard tyre. Or your gear ratios will be out. look at the tires around 275-285 width.

Don't go too narrow on a wide rim, or you will lose the give in the sidewalls, the car will ride rough, and reduce your wheels kerb side protection.

post-197625-0-38062100-1469608234_thumb.

If the manufacturer wanted the vehicle to be run on low profiles they would sell it with low profiles. Waste of money and energy according to my view, but we all have different tastes. The fact that you don't do off road doesn't help as many roads have potholes during raining season, which will damage tyres and rims. You will get less km's from these tyres +- 25k compared to +- 40k. Over a 100 000 km lifespan you will change your tyres 3 to 4 times with low profiles compared to 2 times with normal tyres. You will replace 2 to 3 rims over the 100 000 km's compared to none with the normal setup. You can work out the cost and decide if the looks justify the costs.

You will get less km's from these tyres +- 25k compared to +- 40k. Over a 100 000 km lifespan you will change your tyres 3 to 4 times with low profiles compared to 2 times with normal tyres. You will replace 2 to 3 rims over the 100 000 km's compared to none with the normal setup. You can work out the cost and decide if the looks justify the costs.

Nah, if vehicle is driven sensibly you can get A decent lifespan from low profile tires. My old car back home had 40 profile tires and they were good for 40,000km.

As a person that frequently drove pickup trucks around rally stages in the Welsh mountains, a good set of boots is BF Goodrich A/T with the side wall rock treads .

I base this recommendation on a comparison of the Welsh rally Stages to many Thai roads.