What is your all-time favorite movie?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dick dasterdly, on 28 Jul 2016 - 09:08, said:
Ron19, on 28 Jul 2016 - 08:10, said:

Papillon - with Steve McQeen and Dustin Hoffman.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

Dustin Hoffman films are also generally great, so I'd add Midnight Cowboy. The Graduate and Rain Man.

Have got Papillon, Midnight Cowboy and Rain Man on DVD ( originals )

Not my favourite but highly memorable,a Chinese movie with subtitles Raise the red lantern ,very very good

With the stupidly beautiful Gong Li

e33acd1ba703cde6d79173d10ff8dda3.jpg

Get's my vote! wai2.gif

Edited by NumbNut

Trainspotting (1996)

A masterpiece. Loved it then and still love it now. Timeless, classic.

The film was good but the book is so much more. Recommended if you can understand the scottish vernacular. smile.png

attachicon.gifPapillon.JPG

Good movie, but, IMO, the book was much better - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest too!

Isn't that always the case?

Always better to watch the film first, and then read the book.

Yep - When Ludlum was interviewed and asked what he thought about the movie The Bourne Identity when it premiered .....

His reply, "how would you like to see your prize bull turned into a bullion cube?"

Pretty much nailed it in 14 words....

Really impossible to identify a favorite, too many movies to choose from and so many different categories. The following were very good when I first saw them:

Ben-Hur (original)

Shawshank Redemption

Sound of Music

Aliens

Back to the Future

Saving Private Ryan

Terminator

Wall Street

Jurassic Park

Godfather I/II

Just to name a few...

I'm a big Al Pacino (non Godfather) fan:

Panic in Needle Park

Serpico

Dog Day Afternoon

Scarface

Assorted others (in no particular order):

Two Lane Blacktop (was into street racing at the time)

Le Mans (only for racing scenes)

Risky Business ("who's the U-boat captain?" and Rebecca De Mornay on the the "El" with Phil Collins on drums)

Little Big Man (Dustin Hoffman at his best)

Kelly's Heros (Donald Sutherland as a WWII druggie)

M.A.S.H. (one of the best anti establishment movies)

Zootopia (new one for a change, but a great animated movie)

Cool Hand Luke (what we have here is failure to communicate ")

Pretty Woman (fairy tale for Thailand expats)

Pulp Fiction (Tarantino at his best)

Django (showed he still has it. Was begining to wonder)

Good fellas (Scorsese classic)

Forrester Gump (storey of our generation, told by a moron)

Etc, etc. Too many to list....

Th

attachicon.gifPapillon.JPG

Good movie, but, IMO, the book was much better - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest too!

Isn't that always the case?

Always better to watch the film first, and then read the book.

Mostly, I agree with you, but one exception, IMO, is "The Mambo Kings". They filmed a small portion of the book and I found the rest boring. What a great film and great music too!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mambo_kings/

Shooter; Why: because I trained to be a sniper. So I can appreciate a good gun and a marksman. (Good actors as well)

Jumper; Why: Because I wish I could jump anywhere I want. (Good actors as well)

Hunt for Red October: Why: Sub movies are cool. (Good actors as well)

I came here for the comedy. This thread tied the record for fewest posts before someone failed to answer the question correctly -- one.

My favorite movie is a comedy, Trading Places. Its humor is relatively intellectual with social and racial commentary, Eddie Murphy's second movie appearance, and Jamie Lee Curtis's breastesses.

"He was even wearing my Harvard tie, like sure, HE went to Harvard."

I came here for the comedy. This thread tied the record for fewest posts before someone failed to answer the question correctly -- one.

My favorite movie is a comedy, Trading Places. Its humor is relatively intellectual with social and racial commentary, Eddie Murphy's second movie appearance, and Jamie Lee Curtis's breastesses.

I'm sure we're all happy that you find this thread comedic.

But I agree that trying to tie films into how they have affected posters' life is a non- starter - films have negligible influence on life. I think this is your point?

Edit - And its obvious that you have no idea of "intellectual"... Many films have a social and racial commentary - intellectual is a stretch further that is rarely achieved. When films try, the point is generally missed - or at least I hope some ''big' films are trying to point out the obvious without being obvious! Of course, they could just be making 'blockbuster' films, and I'm reading something into it that is not there sad.png - and is certainly missed by most viewers.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Somebody mentioned that we all missed the point of the thread saying ONE movie. Please forgive us for recalling the past it was of course fun with really good movies not the junk today that the copyright cops are trying to protect. RIP Kickass. You were held up as a whipping boy flavor of the month. When I went on their site and read all the organizations threatening illegal downloading I finally realized the extent of the police state we live in. Spare not cost in protecting the rich and famous screw the rest of us.

Edited by elgordo38

On 7/30/2016 at 2:17 PM, dukeandduke said:

Like I said, it's impossible to single out one favorite movie.  Even if you broke it down by categories, e.g., western, sci-fi, horror, war, prison, love story, comedy, Roman epic, musical, sports, etc., it would still be difficult.  But you decided on Trading Places?  Seriously?  Decent movie, certainly, but all-time favorite?  That's why it's really a matter of taste. 

Lost in translation - for the funnieness of Bill Murray, the beauty of Scarlet Johansson and the familarity of the situation!

The Big Lebowski- just because!

West World- one of the best sci-fi- flicks ever made!

9 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Like I said, it's impossible to single out one favorite movie. 

It's possible, as some of us proved.

If someone wants to know people's Top 19 movies, he can start a thread called, "Name your Top 19 movies."  Then someone will soon give his Top 35.

Part of the fun is the challenge in narrowing your list to the number in the question;  also, it's fun to see what people say in the face of that challenge.  If that doesn't interest you, you're not obligated to participate.

Once I asked a group of people to name the 6 CD's they'd take with them if they were forced to live on a deserted island for the rest of their lives.  One guy acted like he'd rather slit his wrists than limit it to 6.  I had to explain to him that he didn't really have to live on a deserted island for the rest of his life.

5 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

It's possible, as some of us proved.

If someone wants to know people's Top 19 movies, he can start a thread called, "Name your Top 19 movies."  Then someone will soon give his Top 35.

Part of the fun is the challenge in narrowing your list to the number in the question;  also, it's fun to see what people say in the face of that challenge.  If that doesn't interest you, you're not obligated to participate.

Once I asked a group of people to name the 6 CD's they'd take with them if they were forced to live on a deserted island for the rest of their lives.  One guy acted like he'd rather slit his wrists than limit it to 6.  I had to explain to him that he didn't really have to live on a deserted island for the rest of his life.

Maybe you need to know this is only a forum thread not a leagal binding contract to pick out only one film. I could not give one define film as there are so many at diffrent stages of your life.

american-pop.jpgAmerican Pop 1981

This animated trek across the musical landscape of the 20th century begins with young immigrant Zalmie (Jeffrey Lippa) arriving in New York City. He's addicted to show business, but an accident ruins his voice. He marries a stripper (Lisa Jane Persky) and their son, Benny (Richard Singer), becomes a jazz pianist. Although Benny is killed in World War II, his son, Tony (Ron Thompson), goes on to great success as a songwriter during the '60s, as does Tony's son, Pete (also Thompson), in the '80s.

12 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Maybe you need to know this is only a forum thread not a leagal binding contract to pick out only one film. I could not give one define film as there are so many at diffrent stages of your life.

I assume that you mean "legal" binding contract, which is not necessary to say, because nothing here is. 

If you cannot define one, you don't need to respond.  For a different reason, I don't respond to the "Name your favorite Justin Bieber" threads.

5 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

I assume that you mean "legal" binding contract, which is not necessary to say, because nothing here is. 

If you cannot define one, you don't need to respond.  For a different reason, I don't respond to the "Name your favorite Justin Bieber" threads.

Oh dear a grammar /spelling cop trolling about. It's a forum I'm allowed to post if you don't like people posting more than one film don't read it simple.  I belive part of the OP was and define how it impacted your life. Well in that case I would need to post several films otherwise, it would only be a snap shot of my life being defined I thank you Bet your a closet Bieber fan really.????

Edited by Deepinthailand

14 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Oh dear a grammar /spelling cop trolling about. It's a forum I'm allowed to post if you don't like people posting more than one film don't read it simple.  I belive part of the OP was and define how it impacted your life. Well in that case I would need to post several films otherwise, it would only be a snap shot of my life being defined I thank you Bet your a closet Bieber fan really.????

I stopped reading it when I saw posts that didn't answer the topic question.  Again, you don't need to participate, much like you don't need to have the last word, Beebs.

8 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

I stopped reading it when I saw posts that didn't answer the topic question.  Again, you don't need to participate, much like you don't need to have the last word, Beebs.

8 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

Never mind dear. But a little white lie there you are still reading the thread after all