Any trains to Rong Kluea Market near the Cambodian border ?

BKKdreaming

Hi ,

I was thinking of going to the Rong Kluea market near the Cambodian border ,

Are there any trains that go there ?

I would probably be starting in bangkok but do not mind doing a dogleg , Bangkok - somewhere ????? - Rong Kluea market

If there are no trains what is the best and safest way to get there ? it seems the Minivan drivers are all Mad Max road warriors !

thanks for your ideas

Aranyaprathet is the last stop on Thailand's eastern line. At time of writing, two ordinary trains depart for Bangkok daily at 06:40 and 13:55, costing between 48 and 211 baht depending on class, and take about six hours. From Bangkok, two daily trains depart at 05:55 and 13:05. For more information, visitwww.railway.co.th.

​Shamelessly copied from https://www.travelfish.org/transport/thailand/central_thailand/sa_kaeo/aranyaprathet/all#travel-train

Some other info here; http://www.journey-mercies.com/blog/urney-mercies.com/2014/05/travel-tips-how-to-travel-between.html

Scroll down for traintravel.

why? there is nothing different there than at any other thai market

there is always something different , or something you did not see at your local market ,

And then there always is the adventure of the unknown :)

and yes it would be easier to take the 8 baht bus to BKK Chinatown , but I have done that 100+ times !

Been their with the wife. Not much to see except lots of second hand clothes from Cambodia that were donated from Europe for the poor but end up there. Generally these clothes have to be bought as a job lot and you have to take the rough with the smooth.

i have been there as well and nothing new, except as stated, 2nd hand clothes that are donated to places in Cambodia an sold and make their way to the border markets.

In fact not much at any of the thai/Cambodian border markets

The train seemed like a nice idea , but if I read it right there are only 3rd class tickets and no AirCo

I really enjoy an open window and a fresh breeze BUT after the first 20 minutes that could get old quick smile.png

and this is a 5 hour plus train ride,

So unless they have changed it and have a 2nd class or better it might be a deluxe bus

But as far as the market goes , does it start at 9am or so and when does it close ?

I am sure its HOT , so it would be a long day !

Edited by BKKdreaming

The train seemed like a nice idea , but if I read it right there are only 3rd class tickets and no AirCo

That's right. It's all third class, takes about 7 hours and costs under a hundred baht.

But if you want to sit on a wooden bench all day, why not go to Nongkai in 3rd class? Or still better, sit on a bench in a soi around a canal. Then it's free, and so is your trip back.

Only 3rd class. No a/c. Slow, hot and uncomfortable. I frequent schedule. Gets you into Aranyaprathet and you have to take a tuk tuk from there to Rong Klua.

There are a/c buses from Morchit to Aranyaprathet, 1-2 an hour, get you just as close and much more comfortable. There is also a bus direct to Rong Klua but I am not sure of the schedule or where to get it.

Vans take a much quicker route. Leave fron Khao San area and also Victory monument.

Agree with those who say the market is not worth seeing.