Cocoa?

MiG16

just wonder if this is possible at all? or if anyone has some info if it is being grown already? Im not aware of, but curious to find out what the possibilities are climate-wise

if its not grown here, and I get a feeling not, then can thailand only import the chocolate products already made? no business that manufactures them from cocoa beans and butter here in the country?

thanks everyone :o

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband remembers people growing cocoa in Samui years ago, so it is possible.

Found this blurb on the sunsite website:

Cocoa

Cocoa is a new cash crop which has a good marketing potential. Although cocoa production has been currently promoted by the Government, cocoa import tends to increase annually to meet domestic consumption demanded by the two cocoa processing plants.

thankyou SBK sweetie :o I will have to do some more search on the net I guess. had a friend ask me since they think me being the chocaholic that I am, I should also know related info about producing chocs :D how wrong they are hehehe. anyway, thank you again

are you back in thailand?

My husband remembers people growing cocoa in Samui years ago, so it is possible.

Cocoa

Cocoa is a new cash crop which has a good marketing potential. Although cocoa production has been currently promoted by the Government, cocoa import tends to increase annually to meet domestic consumption demanded by the two cocoa processing plants.

Alkalized cocoa powder and cocoa butter (raw material) can be imported from Malaysia and cheaper than getting it from Africa.

Cocoa

Alkalized cocoa powder and cocoa butter (raw material) can be imported from Malaysia and cheaper than getting it from Africa.

clearly not into gardening/farming. :o

roguegirl, it isn't always about the end product but sometimes about growing it to see if it can be done :D

How many times have you wondered "will that work here? Maybe I should give it a shot". I want to try macadamia nut trees but now that MiG16 has mentioned cocoa ..... :D

Cocoa

clearly not into gardening/farming. :D

roguegirl, it isn't always about the end product but sometimes about growing it to see if it can be done :D

How many times have you wondered "will that work here? Maybe I should give it a shot". I want to try macadamia nut trees but now that MiG16 has mentioned cocoa ..... :D

:o

I thought that it is already mentioned in the link that cocoa is one of the cash crop in Thailand. Or, did I read wrong?

It also says that Thailand still import cocoa as their own supply is not sufficient.

Having said that, it also shows that cocoa CAN be planted in Thailand. :D

I bought a fresh pod a few months ago and planted all the beans. Unfortunately none germinated.

Got it from:

http://www.tropilab.com/cacao.html

I also ordered a bunch of other seeds - still waiting for the mahogny and para nut to germinate.

The shipment came with a phytosanitary certificate to clear customs etc.

Cocoa plant don't grow well being totally exposed to the sun, to an extend that it can actually kill it. So, to grow the seeds, make sure it is not exposed directly to the sun. Choose from a mature pod.

If yours did not germinate, there could be few reasons and one is as mentioned above. Your nursery could have direct exposure to the sun. So far, from where I come from, cocoa seeds have no problem germinating. It drops and grows.

The tree itself must also be planted alternatively with taller tress to give it the much needed shade. Suggestions would be to plant it alternatively with other cash crop such as coconut.

Sorry, can't give much info. Have not done this for more than 10 years now.

• 2 weeks later...

SBK..Im quite sure that the north grows some macademia nuts already..so sure it is possible :o one of the royal project shops markets tinned macademia nuts (I think its Doi Tung) doesnt taste quite the same as those I have had in Aus though. its kinda the same like oregano grown in north thailand..doesnt quite have the aroma the usual stuff has....

but yes if you gals (and guys) keep at it...very soon thailand will have a number more crops/nuts/ and hopefully cocoa beans available :D

thanks for the info everyone...if anyone comes across more on the cocoa bean or cocoa butter production in thailand let me know :D

thankyou :D

What was the difference between the DoiTung maccadamias and the Oz ones ?

I bought the DoiTung roasted maccadamias in flavoured versions, not plain or raw, both were very tasty, but the nuts were smaller and generally not whole. So perhaps this is a secondary industry and the whole best nuts are used for something else.

They were expensive also.

What was the difference between the DoiTung maccadamias and the Oz ones ?

I bought the DoiTung roasted maccadamias in flavoured versions, not plain or raw, both were very tasty, but the nuts were smaller and generally not whole. So perhaps this is a secondary industry and the whole best nuts are used for something else.

They were expensive also.

The Doi Tung wasabi macadamianuts are delicious. I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years.

i dont know what word to use to describe it...but there was that 'richness' feel to the nuts that was missing? the ones in aus had a somewhat creamy/oily (but in a nice way...i think im just bad at describing it)...anyway...that feel is missing in the thai ones :o

Aren't the Australian ones grown in a more tropical location than Chiang Mai? Would longer periods of higher temps or perhaps higher humidity have anything to do with an enhanced flavor?

I think most macadamias farms in Oz are either in south eastern Qld or up around Cairns in the north. So they do get the tropical heat up north and in the south though it gets very cold in the winters, but does not last so long.

Wonder if there is a difference in taste between these 2 places.

which 2 places nawt? south eastern Qld or up around Cairns? or with the chianmai ones?

the ones i had in aus no idea which part of aus they were grown in....

yes yes i know i have a lot of vague answers about a lot of things :o

Its ok, I have the trademark on Vagueness.... I meant I was wondering if the diff between the south Qld and North Qld ones would be detectable, because there is a reasonable strong difference in weather and temperatures and as we were wondering if the taste difference between the ones in Los and Oz were due to climate.

I would love to hear from anyone who is growing them. Next time I am up North I will try to make an effort to go and check these areas and farms out at DoiTung.

On another note, I just bought some DoiTung macadamia spread (same same peanut butter, but from macadamias) and again it is expensive, but tastes great, very nice indeed. Looking forward to it tomorrow on some hot buttered thick toast.

• 1 month later...

nawt....my brother loves those spread. and yes the wasabi flavoured macademia are good. i was quite surprised too

have 2 packs left in my supply

funny though....i loveeeeeee chocolates, and quite enjoy macademia....but dont really feel the chocolate coated macademias are anything special........

• 4 years later...

I know no one has added to this subject in several years, but here's hoping someone views my question in the near future. I know that both cocoa (theobroma cacao - a small tree) and vanilla orchids (vanilla planifolia) are grown in Thailand, but I've been having a devil of a time trying to find dealers in same. I really would like to pick up a couple of cacao trees, and 3 or 4 vanilla slips for my garden-in-progress in Bang Kruai. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks - hope to "hear" from someone soon.

I know no one has added to this subject in several years, but here's hoping someone views my question in the near future. I know that both cocoa (theobroma cacao - a small tree) and vanilla orchids (vanilla planifolia) are grown in Thailand, but I've been having a devil of a time trying to find dealers in same. I really would like to pick up a couple of cacao trees, and 3 or 4 vanilla slips for my garden-in-progress in Bang Kruai. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks - hope to "hear" from someone soon.

Try emailing //removed as per forum rules - Admin//

Try emailing

Thanks! They have offices near Bangkok, so perhaps I can telephone them. I've e-mailed them - however, most other Thai businesses I've e-mailed (even multiple times) have never replied. Here's hoping. Now... for a cacao lead --

Try emailing

Thanks! They have offices near Bangkok, so perhaps I can telephone them. I've e-mailed them - however, most other Thai businesses I've e-mailed (even multiple times) have never replied. Here's hoping. Now... for a cacao lead --

This year I put 5 cacao trees in the ground, they are two to three feet at the moment and doing well.

If you have enough patience we can get together when ready to harvest !!

PS I also have vanilla growing, the above applies as well.

Best regards

Try emailing

This year I put 5 cacao trees in the ground, they are two to three feet at the moment and doing well.

If you have enough patience we can get together when ready to harvest !!

PS I also have vanilla growing, the above applies as well.

Best regards

Where did you get the cacao saplings? And the vanilla??? Yep, I have plenty of patience, so perhaps we can get together at harvest time... if you don't live too far from us, that is. Have you ever enjoyed a fresh cacao pod? I worked in the Caribbean back in the '80s and discovered two things: 1 - using "raw" cocoa beans for cooking is terrific, and 2 - the flesh surrounding the cocoa beans is absolutely scrumptious! BTW: I use a larger font so I can read what I'm typing. Hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards,

BkruaiRetiree

The vanilla; I found it in Bangkok, not too hard to find if you have a Thai speaker handy with Google.

The Cacao it's trickier; I grew them from seeds. Got them from a grower I know in Hawaii.

You might know, if the seeds are not super fresh, they will never grow.

We are in Buriram province.

When you say " worked " you mean in a cacao plantation ???

Best regards.

Edited by soidog2

The vanilla; I found it in Bangkok, not too hard to find if you have a Thai speaker handy with Google.

The Cacao it's trickier; I grew them from seeds. Got them from a grower I know in Hawaii.

You might know, if the seeds are not super fresh, they will never grow.

We are in Buriram province.

When you say " worked " you mean in a cacao plantation ???

Best regards.

Since my last message here I've located 2 vanilla sources: one in Bangkok, who won't be back until next week, and an orchid grower in Chiang Mai who can ship 1-meter rooted cuttings to me for 150B each + 210B shipping for up to 4 cuttings... not too bad, but I think I'll wait until next week to see what the guy in Bkk has. At this point, I guess I'll have to contact the Ag Dept. and see if they have info re cacao source(s). I know they used to grow them quite a bit in the south, including Krabi and Pukhet - I'm sure there must be some trees left down there.

You're quite a ways from us - we're over in Bang Kruai/Nonthaburi Prov. - and no car yet.

My work in the Caribbean was on the cruise ships, primarily Holland America, and then a 3-month stint on St. Maarten. I played piano bar & sang, but not now. After that, I lived & worked in NYC and vacationed down there every chance I got. The cacao "plantation" was on St. Lucia, and they would sell squished & moulded unprocessed cocoa - I brought a bunch back to NYC with me. It was really delicious - made scads of hot chocolate during the winter. The only thing about the moulded pieces is they were shaped long, rough & roundish - and with their color, they looked sort of like something on the grass you'd want to avoid stepping in.

• 4 months later...

I'd be interested in finding cacao and vanilla for my garden too. Hopefully someone has some suggestions.

• 2 months later...

I used to work in the mac industry in Hawaii. Earlier comments about flavor differences; I don't know if the Thai ones are grown organically. The method used in Hawaii is to spray out the ground under the trees so they can fall to the ground and be raked up at harvest. I don't see how this would work organically. If you pick them they won't be ripe. As far as lack of whole ones, this is due to improper cracking machine adjustment. As this was one of my jobs, I know some cracker machines work better than others, and adjustment and maintenance must be very frequent. Comparative soil samples and leaf tissue analysis could reveal another potential source of flavor issues.