2 shot dead after taking hostages in Normandy church

Jonathan Fairfield

2 shot dead after taking hostages in Normandy church

PARIS (AP) — A French security official says police have killed two attackers who used knives to seize hostages in a church near the Normandy city of Rouen.

The official said the identities of the attackers and motive for the attack on Tuesday are unclear. Interior Minister Bernard Cazenevue is en route to the town of Saint-Etienne-en-Rouvray where the hostage-taking took place, according to the official, who was not authorized to be publicly named.

The incident comes as France is under high alert after an attack in Nice that killed 84 people and a string of deadly attacks last year claimed by the Islamic State group.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-26

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In France the hostage-takers don't pass by prison box.

Bang, bang!

It saves us whining with lawyers who would have the trial country and the national repentance cult as bonus.

Bang, bang!

Something gained.

Edited by happy Joe

On BBC 25 minutes ago, the reporter said taking hostages does not appear to be the reason for the attack. Rather to create mayhem by slaughtering people. On BBC's FB page one comment was that French media is reporting the priest was beheaded.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

I'm concluding that this almost daily wave of attacks is a consequence of Brexit, which must translate into the perception that they are disliked by Europe and perhaps about to be rejected. Once the deportations begin it will get worse. What a mess.

I am very surprised the eye for an eye has not started yet.

Just wait a bit for the French right wing to get going...

If you live in Germany you might expect a knock on your door for spreading hate speech online and you're considered a threat to public safety...

Edited by FinChin67

Some say religious war is coming. I say it's already upon us. Islamists the world over have declared it and are fighting and dying for it.

#NothingToDoWithIslam

Edited by stander

I'm concluding that this almost daily wave of attacks is a consequence of Brexit, which must translate into the perception that they are disliked by Europe and perhaps about to be rejected. Once the deportations begin it will get worse. What a mess.

Your post is beyond idiotic. 'Brexit'? Like the refugees/economic migrants know what that even means, never mind the fact negotiations for exit haven't even started. Christ .. (no pun intended).

BTW, has it occurred to anyone else that this neoliberal Hollande/Merkel instigated disaster is unstoppable? Syria? Bomb 'em Afghanistan? Bomb 'en. Libya? 'Bomb 'em. Notwithstanding their countries were invaded for their oil anyway. Bomb the entire continent of Europe to eliminate that which you've recently welcomed? Who is sane here? This Will Never End. Ever.

Your post is beyond idiotic. 'Brexit'? Like the refugees/economic migrants know what that even means, never mind the fact negotiations for exit haven't even started. Christ .. (no pun intended).

BTW, has it occurred to anyone else that this neoliberal Hollande/Merkel instigated disaster is unstoppable? Syria? Bomb 'em Afghanistan? Bomb 'en. Libya? 'Bomb 'em. Notwithstanding their countries were invaded for their oil anyway. Bomb the entire continent of Europe to eliminate that which you've recently welcomed? Who is sane here? This Will Never End. Ever.

Brexit is all about anti-immigration. The immigrants know that, and the hostility towards them has already been seen on the streets as a direct result of Brexit. Why suppose that immigrants don't read the news or social networks? They are certainly aware of the mounting anti-immigrant vibe. Where am I losing you?

The sociology of these attacks is transparent. They're all feeling more threatened - for good reason - and nothing incites violence more than feeling threatened.

Some chap on TVF said just two days ago on Tuesday will be Belgium but it hit once again France.

What is going on with Europe

That was my reference to the film, If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium. A comedy about mass tourism through Europe back in the 1960s. What's being replayed is a not so funny Terrorist Tour through Europe.

Brexit is all about anti-immigration. The immigrants know that, and the hostility towards them has already been seen on the streets as a direct result of Brexit. Why suppose that immigrants don't read the news or social networks? They are certainly aware of the mounting anti-immigrant vibe. Where am I losing you?

The sociology of these attacks is transparent. They're all feeling more threatened - for good reason - and nothing incites violence more than feeling threatened.

My God but you do credit those of a diametrically opposed culture, not to mention uneducated and with scant language skills, with more intellect than could possibly be deemed credible. YOU and your ilk are responsible for that which is happening now. YOU and your ignorant (in the true sense of the word) ilk have these victims' blood on your hands. Shameful.

Former French government minister Nadine Morano, now a member of Nicolas Sarkozy's Republicans party, is uncompromising in her response: "A priest's throat cut, France's Christian roots attacked, again! Stop the naivety, they want to destroy our civilisation".

http://news.sky.com/story/hostage-taking-in-normandy-church-live-updates-10512947

At long last someone has woken up and has the balls to speak out.

You know, since the attacks Charlie and Bataclan, the Mohamed's of France don't need Brexit to know the general feeling in their regard.
In hiring for example, Momo left at the door and to survive he has only the trafficking of prohibited substances or the jobs that nobody wants.
Hatred will therefore inevitably amplify and for my part, I don't see simple solution to this huge problem.

My God but you do credit those of a diametrically opposed culture, not to mention uneducated and with scant language skills, with more intellect than could possibly be deemed credible. YOU and your ilk are responsible for that which is happening now. YOU and your ignorant (in the true sense of the word) ilk have these victims' blood on your hands. Shameful.

That's the most intellectually impoverished post I've ever seen on this forum.

Not worth responding to.

Not worth responding to.

Coming from the most morally bankrupt post on this atrocity, I take that as a compliment.

Not worth responding to.

Sleep tight. 'Nother one tomorrow, no doubt.

Edited by dageurreotype