Maths teacher burns down the neighborhood after trying faulty fan

webfact

Maths teacher burns down the neighborhood after trying faulty fan

s4p.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A former maths teacher at a top Bangkok school burnt down his house and several of his neighbor's properties after trying out a faulty fan that shorted.

Chanin Angsuwothai, 63, was going to bed on the second floor of his townhouse in Samrong and plugged in the fan to see if it would come to life. It did in a hail of sparks, reported Thairath. He ran out of his house to seek help from neighbors but it was too late.

The fire quickly took hold and destroyed his property and the one next door and caused serious damage to three others. Ten fire engines took one hour to bring the blaze under control. It happened in Soi Patanasuk off the Theparak Road south east of Bangkok in the early hours of this morning, Wednesday.

Several pet dogs and cats were saved in one of the properties while others are missing, believed to have fled the scene. No people were injured.

Chanin was a maths teacher at Assumption School Bang Rak before he retired. He told police that he had plugged the fan in to see if it would work but that it had shorted and he had run out of the house to seek help.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-27

" He told police that he had plugged the fan in to see if it would work but that it had shorted and he had run out of the house to seek help."

Well, now he knows that it worked the opposite, and instead to cool the house, it heat it up, to a crisp.....

What reason was there to point out that he was a math teacher in the headline? Seriously? The story would have been just as "interesting" if it was a taxi driver.

I think being a retired Maths Teacher from Assumption, the reporter was trying to point out that the said person should have had more brains.

What reason was there to point out that he was a math teacher in the headline? Seriously? The story would have been just as "interesting" if it was a taxi driver.

I think being a retired Maths Teacher from Assumption, the reporter was trying to point out that the said person should have had more brains.

Yeah 63 year old retirees make mistakes. Just like many of the geniuses on this forum do.

Yeah 63 year old retirees make mistakes. Just like many of the geniuses on this forum do.

I'm sure we've all plugged in an appliance, unaware that it was faulty, only to either find it no longer works and/or that it trips a circuit breaker/fuse. Thankfully that's usually the extent of what happens. We don't usually experience sparks flying about igniting flammable objects nearby.

Apparently he didn't have a fire extinguisher available and ran out of the house to seek help and alert neighbors. Fire started by faulty appliances are, unfortunately, fairly common. Based on what was written I don't see that having "more brains," aside from being a meaningless comment, would have resulted in a different result under the circumstance. As far as I know, people have only one brain and the option to have more of them is not currently available.

Obviously the choice of headlines was intended, successfully, to produce the anticipated responses about things adding up or calculating or being factored in, etc.

Edited by Suradit69

^ He was a math teacher... but apparently not a logic teacher! facepalm.gif

In Thailand a maths teacher at a top Bangkok school is a man able to add 20 and 70 and 10, without error, using his calculator.

You'd be surprised. Then again, most truths would surprise racists.

I'm sure we've all plugged in an appliance, unaware that it was faulty, only to either find it no longer works and/or that it trips a circuit breaker/fuse. Thankfully that's usually the extent of what happens. We don't usually experience sparks flying about igniting flammable objects nearby.

Apparently he didn't have a fire extinguisher available and ran out of the house to seek help and alert neighbors. Fire started by faulty appliances are, unfortunately, fairly common. Based on what was written I don't see that having "more brains," aside from being a meaningless comment, would have resulted in a different result under the circumstance. As far as I know, people have only one brain and the option to have more of them is not currently available.

Obviously the choice of headlines was intended, successfully, to produce the anticipated responses about things adding up or calculating or being factored in, etc.

Why not run to the bathroom to get some water? That would be my first thought, a fire does not ignite and burns down a house in a few seconds only, I agree with some of the posters that running out and leave the fire to spread at will was at least not really clever, was it?

Why not run to the bathroom to get some water? That would be my first thought, a fire does not ignite and burns down a house in a few seconds only, I agree with some of the posters that running out and leave the fire to spread at will was at least not really clever, was it?

People do often panic and not think straight in stressful situations. Also at his age, he might have feared if the fire suddenly spread and he got stuck inside.

It's the last thing I would do: to trow water on an burning electrical appliance!

Better trow a blanket on it.

^ He was a math teacher... but apparently not a logic teacher! facepalm.gif

Or was using logic..

If the fan was arcing and sparking near the electrical socket..

And some people in Thailand, have been electrocuted, by non-sparking computers..

So, he thought, better a living retired maths teacher, than a dead one?

Most people would have unplugged it, with no problems..

And some people would have ran like he did..

I thought the same thing,

and the neighbors cat is now missing.

Slow news day.

I thought the same thing,

and the neighbors cat is now missing.

Slow news day.

Hope they find the cat soon :(

#prayformaew