Heart Surgery in Chiang Mai

Konrad 12

After living in Chiang Mai for the best part of 2 decades, it transpired that some arteries of my heart were clogged or dangerously narrowed. Stents were not a sesable option anymore, because it would require too many (7), so I decided on a bypass operation (quadruple bypass).

After checking for the best heart surgeon in town, I decided on Dr. Weerachai at Bangkok Hospital in Chiang Mai. It was my best hospital experience ever.

The hospital is about 2 years old (branch on Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok), the ICU is State of The Art with newest equipment, the staff at ICU are world class, and Dr. Weerachai is very experienced, extremely competent, and I never had the feeling of being a customer, but always was treated as a personal guest by him.

Moved to the ward after 4 days ICU, I enjoyed a pleasant atmosphere and a recovery supporting environment including competent staff.

Bangkok Chiang Mai Hospital is definitely not the cheapest option in town, you can get it done for 2/3 of the price, but then I wanted the best doctors, a recovery supporting environment and a single once in a lifetime experience. Khun Kwan has been an excellent, helpful and caring coordinator of my treatment. Thanks to all staff at Bangkok Hospital in Chiang Mai including the Rehabilitation Centre and the Nutritionist!

Firstly good to hear you are on the mend and had good experience/doctor. Expect some might be interested in the cost - as you mention 2/3 of the price which means little without the price.

Bangkok Hospital AFAIK is actually Bangkok General Hospital/Bangkok Hospital China Town/Bangkok Heart Hospital and Wattanosoth Cancer Hospital - all in Bangkok. Those located outside of Bangkok may have there name but they are not branches but are part of the same Dusit Medical Services Network that Bangkok Hospital is in AFAIK.

Firstly good to hear you are on the mend and had good experience/doctor. Expect some might be interested in the cost - as you mention 2/3 of the price which means little without the price.

Bangkok Hospital AFAIK is actually Bangkok General Hospital/Bangkok Hospital China Town/Bangkok Heart Hospital and Wattanosoth Cancer Hospital - all in Bangkok. Those located outside of Bangkok may have there name but they are not branches but are part of the same Dusit Medical Services Network that Bangkok Hospital is in AFAIK.

Dear Lopburi3, Sorry not to mention the price, I was offered a package for THB 750K/7 days. Including some extras it came to just over 800K. Extras also depend on whether complications occur. In my case my smoker lungs needed some special attention.

About the exact company structure I have to pass, and am probably wrong. You are right, that they belong to Dusit Medical Services Network, Sorry about that, during my stay, I was more focused on what happend to my body and how I felt treated.

The guy just registered to post this review? Seems more of an advertisement to me, rather than a genuine review

Dear sas-cars,

You are right, it was my first post in all these years. Once I knew, that I will need this operation, I unfortunately could not find much information on this website from people who went through this operation in Chiang Mai recently. Yes, compared prices I found, even some where outdated, but my concern was more on finding the right surgeon for me.

I am sorry, if you get the impression I wrote an ad and not about my experience. Well, I came out of hospital 9 days ago and am simply extremely happy, that all went well and my life received an extension.

Posting my experience on this website, was my contribution to people who might be in a similar situation like I was, and in the same time a Thank You from a happy client.

I have been in other hospitals in Chiang Mai before for different reasons.

The surgeon's full name is Dr. Weerachai Nawarawong. He is indeed a very well qualified cardiothoracic surgeon and trained in the US. He is on the faculty at CMU and could also be accessed through Sripat which would of course cost significantly less than Bkk Hosp though with less creature comforts (though still quite acceptable for most people, if you get a private room).

I have been a patient on two occasions at Bangkok General in Bangkok. Both experiences reflected a similar St. Vincents Sydney quality of that experienced by the poster, BTW, simply because he is "new" to TV doesn't make him a liar, i have seen mostly utter claptrap on TV from those seeking their "15 minutes" MaePenRai.

Appreciate the post as I am a heart patient. Five by-passes in US in 2005. Everything fine until Last December when I experienced a heart attack here in Chiang Mai. Two angioplasty and one stent placed at Chiang Mai Ram. Excellent care. The bill ran to 411,000. Some reduction for old age discount!

The guy just registered to post this review? Seems more of an advertisement to me, rather than a genuine review

...lay off the OP ..you have to start sometime..until you've been through this ordeal you have no idea...nothing like an extension of your life..a bit like getting the approval for your one year visa extension.

...Rad 12

"Posting my experience on this website, was my contribution to people who might be in a similar situation like I was, and in the same time a Thank You from a happy client."

Thank you for this post - if ever in the same situation, I will heed your advice. I appreciate all the details and very glad that you had a great experience... and it is a valuable piece of info for people such as myself living here full time. And there is nothing wrong with giving credit to people who obviously did a great job in making you so comfortable... Compared to the West, the cost does not sound outrageous in any way...

And you have been given the gift of the rest of your life. Enjoy every minute!

Thanks again for an informative post.

Thanks for the reply providing expense - it may help others in the future. Does not seem to be above most major hospital prices (but am no expert). Do know I paid 1.1 million last month for a 10 day stay radical cystectomy/ileal conduit here in Bangkok which could have been obtained for about 100k at a government hospital (if you had good luck and the time to wait on queues) - I actually tried and was pulled off OR table due lack of ICU availability and told next opening would be 3 months away. Saving money is not always to a persons advantage - especially when there could be time sensitive issues involved.

Dear Lopburi3, Sorry not to mention the price, I was offered a package for THB 750K/7 days. Including some extras it came to just over 800K. Extras also depend on whether complications occur. In my case my smoker lungs needed some special attention.

About the exact company structure I have to pass, and am probably wrong. You are right, that they belong to Dusit Medical Services Network, Sorry about that, during my stay, I was more focused on what happend to my body and how I felt treated.

Lots of money,

Happy you are well , hop you have stop the smoker ,

In my country some like that if you have private insurance

Is free , but you pay monthly, but that is not much for your health.witch people don't do .

Lots of money,

Happy you are well , hop you have stop the smoker ,

In my country some like that if you have private insurance

Is free , but you pay monthly, but that is not much for your health.witch people don't do .

Konrad 12

800K is all that you paid.

you are one lucky person, particularly, as you received good medical treatment.

How times have changed. Open heart ASD closure late 1986. St Louis Hospital theatre and equipment rental plus 5 days ICU with the top Thai cardiac surgeon and his teams from Chula.

Cost 30,000 Baht

Itemised bill even included items like 50 satang plasters and amounts of oxygen used.

Oops ASD not ISD

Edited by Farma

May I ask if you have insurance and how the hospital handled that for you? I had a stent put in at chiinagmairam and their insurance department was horrible. Glad you're better!

Quite frankly, I do think this is a nasty remark. I do think it is important for readers to know where to turn to, in this case for cardiological, or other health problems. It does state that the costs are higher than in other private hospitals, but here the old saying one gets what one pays for, is validated. I don't think an advertisement would mention the higher costs. Would it?

May I ask if you have insurance and how the hospital handled that for you? I had a stent put in at chiinagmairam and their insurance department was horrible. Glad you're better!

Actually my Thai insurance paid part of the costs (according up to the limit on my policy), and the transaction and communication happened directly between the hopital and my insurance. I was not involved and only paid the remaining balance.

Reading good cardio health experiences with RAM, Bangkok, and also (including mine) at Sripat, ChiangMai stands out in Medical care in the North it seems.

(One of the main-hospital staff, lacking large English Vocabulary, described my treating Cardiologist as "Superman" in his field :-))

Edited by KKr

The surgeon's full name is Dr. Weerachai Nawarawong. He is indeed a very well qualified cardiothoracic surgeon and trained in the US. He is on the faculty at CMU and could also be accessed through Sripat which would of course cost significantly less than Bkk Hosp though with less creature comforts (though still quite acceptable for most people, if you get a private room).

Unfortunately since a couple of years Dr. Weerachai does not work at Sri Phat anymore, but he still can be contacted through the faculty at CMU.

The stories about Thai medical procedures being less expensive are increasingly dubious. 800K seems a lot, although when it's your life the money doesn't matter.

I got an online quote from Bumrungrad for a check cystoscopy of 110K baht. As I have top level private

health insurance in Australia, it's cheaper for me to fly back to Australia (business class ) and have the procedure there at no cost. I do know from the invoices I've sighted there the overall cost ( hospital, surgeon, anaesthetist ) is around 60K baht.

IMHO it pays to explore all the options.The only way I will shell out big bucks here is if I'm in a serious accident.

Bazza 40. Sorry, but what has your post got to do with the subject except to tell the world that you are well insured back in Oz.

Jolly good show old chap. So toddle off back there

22,500 USD is a very competitive price for a quadruple bypass which includes ICU care as well.

Top hospital in the US double that

Go price it in OZ.

Dear sas-cars,

You are right, it was my first post in all these years. Once I knew, that I will need this operation, I unfortunately could not find much information on this website from people who went through this operation in Chiang Mai recently. Yes, compared prices I found, even some where outdated, but my concern was more on finding the right surgeon for me.

I am sorry, if you get the impression I wrote an ad and not about my experience. Well, I came out of hospital 9 days ago and am simply extremely happy, that all went well and my life received an extenyysion.

Posting my experience on this website, was my contribution to people who might be in a similar situation like I was, and in the same time a Thank You from a happy client.

I have been in other hospitals in Chiang Mai before for different reasons.

Thank you for the information.

I attend Chiang Mai Ram for post cardiac assessment and care, and whilst I am happy it's good to hear of excellent alternatives as you have provived.

Please ignore the troll who picked non your OP. This site is full of such bored people who lack the positivity that you have.

All the best..

Edited by mankondang

Bazza 40. Sorry, but what has your post got to do with the subject except to tell the world that you are well insured back in Oz.

Jolly good show old chap. So toddle off back there

22,500 USD is a very competitive price for a quadruple bypass which includes ICU care as well.

Top hospital in the US double that

Go price it in OZ.

Oh dear, I thought I was telling people to shop around.

I don't think anyone is unaware the cost of American medical services borders on insane, along with Big Pharma. Greed rules. Americans may finally get a President they deserve.

Now excuse me while I toddle off for a 200 baht massage to relax, as you've been so unkind.

Just for the record....Isan

Khon Kaen Queen ...... or better known as Nak Rian hospital

500.000 4 arteries

10 days hospitalized

Score *8

Bangkok Hospital Udon Thani

800.000 1 artery

10 Day in and 15 days out patient

Score * 9

Will never regret it.

Thanks to the fantastic team and staff and nurses in KKH

How times have changed. Open heart ASD closure late 1986. St Louis Hospital theatre and equipment rental plus 5 days ICU with the top Thai cardiac surgeon and his teams from Chula.

Cost 30,000 Baht

Itemised bill even included items like 50 satang plasters and amounts of oxygen used.

Oops ASD not ISD

Cost of a triple bypass in St Louis as of a few years ago was about 400K assuming no complications. Even a simple hernia repair at St Louis runs close to 100K - and this is a non-profit hospital. Runs about 1 million baht at the top end (price wise) private hospitals in Bkk) and would be more, at both places, if more than 3 vessels involved.

What the OP reports paying is a very good price for a for-profit private hospital in Thailand these days (I suspect the newness of Bkk Hospital CM played a part and you can expect their rates to rise as utilization picks up).

Medical costs in Thailand have gone up enormously over the past decade and are continuing to rise very rapidly at a pace that far outstrips inflation.

Health insurance is a must - either through a policy or self-insured, and need coverage for up to 5 million baht per episode to be safe.