Thai Education Min aims to make students proficient in everyday English within 3 yrs

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So to do this they import Filipino "English" teachers who speak and write some American dialect of what is supposed to be English.

Why do they do this? Because they are cheaper to employ and the school hierarchy gets a big kickback from the employment agency.

So much for improving students English and eliminating corruption.

As a "native" English speaker, do you feel threatened by Filipino "English" teachers taking your spot?

The fact is, the majority of the Filipino teachers are better qualified and harder working than the majority of the "native" English speakers in the kingdom, reeking of alcohol of yesterday's trip down lala land.

The Filipinos take their job and profession seriously and are not in Thailand for the beer and whore money. Just saying ...

So to do this they import Filipino "English" teachers who speak and write some American dialect of what is supposed to be English.

Why do they do this? Because they are cheaper to employ and the school hierarchy gets a big kickback from the employment agency.

Some time back I was given a report card of one of the cousins who attends a fairly expensive school with all teaching in English, the first page of the report was a written overview of the child's progress and general detail of their schooling, without being too pedantic about the language there was 15 basic errors in English, this didn't improve on further reading of the individual subjects - need I say that, all the "English" teachers are Pilipino.

Was the report written by one of the Pilipino (sic) English teachers?

Regardless, there are good and bad teachers in and from every country. Your post makes it seem that all Filipino English teachers are bad.

Yes, written by the class Filipino teacher.

Little personal involvement with school level Filipino teachers but a fair amount with university level, in all fairness I must say that many are reasonable to good teachers but the majority lack a lot in "native" level skills in English, in saying this I must also say that in the main they are ahead of the Thai teachers when it come to conversational and day to day language usage and application.

In Tagalog the P and F are interchangeable.

So why do they do Thai voice overs of English movies?

In all my years of living in USA, I have never seen a foreign movie eliminating the native language...question if they really want to learn English...

Kind of like driving with parking lights at dusk..no benefit gain by doing it....

When i lived in Germany during the 1980's they dubbed the Cosby Show (and every other American show including Miami Vice) over with German voices.

Even when I lived in Europe about 10 years ago, not uncommon to see American movies and television shows dubbed with the voices of local actors.

I always find these topics hilarious. Not because some government official makes some absurd claim but the reaction from the TV community. Absolutely priceless. You can pretty much predict that a good amount of the conversation will be about how bad Thai teachers are and how poorly Thais speak English.

But to me the focus should be on, exactly how many times has the same exact promise been made by the education ministry. Literally, I can specifically recall at least 10 times over the last 10 or 15 years. It's an annual tradition.

But unfortunately we farang know nothing.

According to the Thai government, that includes our own native language. Thais can do it better.

Of course they can, such as:

Centran

Footbon

Electric city

Appen

Jingen ben

The number of words us silly farang can't pronounce properly is amazing, and that's not even considering the grammar and correct word use we don't understand.

Edited by Artisi

75-80 percent of Thai secondary teachers failed to pass the finals test given to their students in the subjects they themselves teach. Nuff said ???

Assuming the questions are correct to start with and the answers are also correct.

Have seen and had to correct many questions set by university English teachers due to very poor English, question structure or intent with either incorrect or no correct or even multiple partly correct answers.

75-80 percent of Thai secondary teachers failed to pass the finals test given to their students in the subjects they themselves teach. Nuff said ???

Assuming the questions are correct to start with and the answers are also correct.

Have seen and had to correct many questions set by university English teachers due to very poor English, question structure or intent with either incorrect or no correct or even multiple partly correct answers.

Must have been the same teachers who translated the Thai driver's license test from Thai to English.

The learning curve of my college students:

They have studied English sins first year in primary school but when they get to the college they can still not write their names in English and their hand writing looks like something you expect form a student in 1st grade.

I asked/teached them "How are you?" everyday for 5 months and then after the 2 month break (April-May) they didn't remember the meaning of the question or how to answer it.

Then I'm supposed to teach them subjects like "Principals of Animal Husbandry", "Agricultural Industry" and "Poultry Raising" in English... there is now way in hell that they will be able to speak English in 3 years!!!

They have studied English sins first year in primary school...."

As long as they are the seven sins (PEGS LAW) https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

You missed the other one.

"I asked/teached them"

Teached, really? Taught might be a better word to use.

95% of this guy's use of English is correct. Grammar mafia not required.

Clearly not a native English speaker. If I had to guess I would say the person is a french mother tongue not that it matters. Fair play to those having a crack at teaching English for the right reasons. Respect.

Must have been the same teachers who translated the Thai driver's license test from Thai to English.

You will probably find that is a 100% Thai effort with a twisted sense of humour ...

One huge hurdle to overcome is krieng jai - that elders and seniors and superiors must never be questioned. I say this because I have had to deal with it for more than 3 decades. I'm not a teacher, but receive daily reports in English from a large range of Thais and have to correct them before passing on. One thing I have found from vast experience is that when a senior Thai tells a junior (or writes it) that black is white, then that junior MUST continue to agree with this in the presence (or whatever) of that senior. No attempting to correct the senior.

I have struggled mightily with this problem. I have been to the seniors and begged them to "follow the rules", but to no avail. They are seniors and they are always correct - no arguing. So, day in, day out I am forced to correct the very same mistakes, causing immense frustration because it adds pressure and stress.

The same thing with Thai English teachers. I corrected a question paper for a neighbor's kid - the result was her teacher wanted to come to my house and punch my lights out (or words to that effect). No thanks for making it right, just a violent reaction to loss of face. (That teacher didn't write the question paper, but was responsible for passing it on, so obviously felt he was responsible.)

So, before this plan can be initiated, there must be a deeply ingrained and humble acceptance by everyone -- bureaucrats, teachers, elders -- that things are wrong. Good luck with that.

As a "native" English speaker, do you feel threatened by Filipino "English" teachers taking your spot?

The fact is, the majority of the Filipino teachers are better qualified and harder working than the majority of the "native" English speakers in the kingdom, reeking of alcohol of yesterday's trip down lala land.

The Filipinos take their job and profession seriously and are not in Thailand for the beer and whore money. Just saying ...

The Filipino teachers are also working in Thailand for the money. You will find that many of them send a significant proportion of their meagre salaries (they are almost always paid less than their Thai colleagues) back to the Philippines. Many of them are hardworking and conscientious although I am sceptical about the true value of their qualifications.

Many Native Speaking English teachers are also hardworking and conscientious, with exactly the qualifications required by the Thai Education Ministry: a degree (as a standard of academic attainment/education rather than a guarantee of knowledge of the language) and a TEFL certificate from an approved institution. You probably will not have met any of them on your "trips down lala land". Apart from anything else, the salary does not extend to beer and whores!. You never know, maybe a lot choose to work here for other reasons?

Anyway, enjoy your trips "down lala land"!

smile.png

Little personal involvement with school level Filipino teachers but a fair amount with university level, in all fairness I must say that many are reasonable to good teachers but the majority lack a lot in "native" level skills in English, in saying this I must also say that in the main they are ahead of the Thai teachers when it come to conversational and day to day language usage and application.

Reminds me of a conversation I heard a long time ago:

#1: Last night, I went to a great farty

#2: A great what?

#1: A great farty

#2: It's party, not farty, you stufid pool!

Don't give up the day job, I don't see you in standup.

Don't give up the day job, I don't see you in standup.

Hahahaha. Don't you worry. I'm not about to give up my current lifestyle.

I was having a bunch of kids to my house for English /play.

When they play at my house they speak English so freely and happily.

Being away from the classroom really helps them to relax.

(I always have 2 thai asistants from the local school. But the ministry ordered me to close because I had more than 8 children. Apparently that is illegal.

They have studied English sins first year in primary school but when they get to the college they can still not write their names in English and their hand writing looks like something you expect form a student in 1st grade.

I asked/teached them "How are you?" everyday for 5 months and then after the 2 month break (April-May) they didn't remember the meaning of the question or how to answer it.

Then I'm supposed to teach them subjects like "Principals of Animal Husbandry", "Agricultural Industry" and "Poultry Raising" in English... there is now way in hell that they will be able to speak English in 3 years!!!

I think you need to polish up on your english skills, before you throw stones at others. taught ,, no,, and some others.....

Guess your'er not a qualified native English teacher either then?

As long as they are the seven sins (PEGS LAW) https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

"I asked/teached them"

Clearly not a native English speaker. If I had to guess I would say the person is a french mother tongue not that it matters. Fair play to those having a crack at teaching English for the right reasons. Respect.

Sorry to disagree but no respect for a teacher who is not qualified or knowledgeable to teach the subject correctly.

And that's the problem with many Filipino teachers too. Their own level of English just isn't good enough to enable them to teach.

They will never achieve their goals on English proficiency improvement unless they get the correct level of teaching.

"I asked/teached them"

Sorry to disagree but no respect for a teacher who is not qualified or knowledgeable to teach the subject correctly.

And that's the problem with many Filipino teachers too. Their own level of English just isn't good enough to enable them to teach.

They will never achieve their goals on English proficiency improvement unless they get the correct level of teaching.

I disagree about needing to have the full command of English grammar, syntax, lexus etc. to be able to teach people how to speak English. I would argue that being able to speak English does not have the same demands as being able to pass a written test to keep academia happy. We don't necessarily need to be able to speak "The Queen's English" to be understood; all you need to do is pass on ideas and information in a comprehensible way. There are many different types of English spoken around the world (and even in England), and yet, believe it or not, people can still talk. There is a certain snobbery among native speakers (I am one), and I believe that the ability to teach is more important than being a native speaker. However, I also believe that if you have no ability to be able to encourage the use of the language (perfect or not), you should give up your job.

On a side note; Even though I do not like the way that song is a consistent theme with Filipino (I apologise for the spelling) teachers, I have definitely met some who are excellent teachers, work hard, and care about their jobs . I have also met those who are here to party and enjoy life. The same is true for Brits, Yanks, Aussies, Germans, Belgians etc. There is no country where all the people are perfect... apart from Wales lol

Edited by nellyp

And in other news, a prominent Head Teacher has announced how he plans to reform the Army. His ministry says " We intend to make them mainly responsible for the defense of the country and get them out of politics within three years"

Generally, Generals are not the right people to put in charge of Education.

Are the Army in charge of education? Time to change the classroom vocabulary.

A is for Army

B is for Bazooka

C is for Chief

D is for D_ctator

E is for Enlist

F is for Flame thrower

G is for Grenade

H is for Hand gun

I is for Intelligence

J is for Jeep

K is for Kill

L is for Land mine

M is for Machine gun

N is for Nuke

O is for Outpost

P is for Private

Q is for Quash the enemy

R is for Revolver

S is for Soldier

T is for Tank

U is for Uncle

V is for Veteran

W is for Weapon

X is for Xecute

Y is for Yard (exercise)

Z is for Z company

And then people are surprised that Foreign English teachers in Thailand get slagged off.

But he teached them English for 5 months