Ombudsman asked to review Chatri gold mine shutdown order

webfact

Ombudsman asked to review gold mine shutdown order

PHITSANULOK: -- A group of community leaders and villagers living around the Chatri gold mine in Phitsanulok province on Wednesday petitioned the ombudsman to put on hold the government’s recent decision to close down the mine but to allow extracting operations of Akara Resources Company to continue for six months.

The petition was received by Mr Rakkecha Chaechai, secretary-general and spokesman of the Ombudsman’s Office.

Leader of the group of petitioners, Mr Fai Mahasak, president of Wang Prong Tambon Administration Organisation, said that the shutdown of the gold mining operations would affect mine workers who are mostly local people who will lose their jobs and the means to make a living.

He pointed out that about 29 villages located around the mine site would be deprived of the subsidies paid from mining royalties that they used to receive plus the funding provided by the mining company.

Mr Fai claimed that people living around the mine site had been co-existing peacefully with the mining company for the past 15 years. The conflict, he noted, was incited by a minority group of people who had wanted to sell their land at a profit or who had wanted higher compensation in exchange for their land.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ombudsman-asked-review-gold-mine-shutdown-order/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-28

Firstly , let's get one thing clear, it wasn't the government, it was Prayut that gave the orders to shut down all gold mines in six months and to suspend all mining exploration, , not only Chatri , therefore Thailand has a dictator at work , Secondly ,with Chatri , this not only affects the economic and employment opportunities of the Phichit area , it also tarnishes Thailand's reputation as a reliable country to do business in, this mine is of world standards, costing hundreds of millions in investment, one couldn't imagine the Ombudsman having much influence in over riding Prayut's ruling, however workers , contractors and business that benefit from the mine can only try, ..............................................................coffee1.gif

Firstly , let's get one thing clear, it wasn't the government, it was Prayut that gave the orders to shut down all gold mines in six months and to suspend all mining exploration, , not only Chatri , therefore Thailand has a dictator at work , Secondly ,with Chatri , this not only affects the economic and employment opportunities of the Phichit area , it also tarnishes Thailand's reputation as a reliable country to do business in, this mine is of world standards, costing hundreds of millions in investment, one couldn't imagine the Ombudsman having much influence in over riding Prayut's ruling, however workers , contractors and business that benefit from the mine can only try, ..............................................................coffee1.gif

Another day in Thailand, if they were "World Standard" operations, why were so many people being poisoned by the drinking water..........an occasional cave in I can understand, thats the risk you take operating any mine, but casting off pollutants into river water is inexcusable.............they deserve to be closed untill they clean up their act.