Furniture in rented condo poor quality

2008bangkok

Yes two people is right for a bed,my weight is 67 kgms and my GF 46 kgms but this weight is spread separately across the full width of the bed so no problems,however you have a full 124 kgms in one place,most furniture here in Thailand will fail under so much weight in one spot I,m afraid............sad.png

Isn't this Thailand meaning all the weight is usually in one place on the bed?

Edited by AlexCanada

On 28/07/2016 at 2:14 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

Why not just buy your own furniture, give theirs back I am sure then can store it somewhere and when your lease is up move yours out and theirs back in...............I don't see a problem, - you signed the lease, so have no recourse with the landlord, it was advertised furnished, you saw it, and signed the lease. I did exacly what I said abopve and the landlord took his furnitute back without even one word of protest - I am only 5'6" and about 85kgs and hated their furniture..........too low to the floor for me.

IMHO many landlords have nowhere to store, simple if you want to bring your own furniture rent unfurnished or pay to have the furniture removed and stored yourself.

On 28/07/2016 at 2:27 PM, MissAndry said:

I'm with TR, buy your own. I did.

Sleeping on a second hand mattress, soaked in someone else's sweat and stained by their bodily fluids ....... no thanks.

Presume you do not use hotels then???

Why not use a mattress protector?

40 minutes ago, Basil B said:

IMHO many landlords have nowhere to store, simple if you want to bring your own furniture rent unfurnished or pay to have the furniture removed and stored yourself.

As I have already stated why would I as a landlord want to pay to store furniture from a house I rent out as furnished. If you want an unfurnished then that's what you look for. Or store it yourself at your expense once I've agreed on a storage facilities  and I have in writing you the Tennant are responsible for any damage whilst in storage and that all furniture will be placed back in accommodation when you leave and to that end I would require a bigger deposit

On 7/28/2016 at 10:33 AM, OMGImInPattaya said:

I would assume you saw the furniture before you rented the condo...maybe even sat on the sofa and lay on the bed. It seems to me you agreed to the furnishings when you rented the condo. I would be more worried about being charged for damage you caused to the furniture when the lease is up than complaining about its quality. wink.png

It won't be too much of a worry if the furniture is cheap.

On 7/28/2016 at 3:20 PM, Naroge said:

If you saw the furniture before signing the lease there is no way to complain about springs in the bed etc. You can only complain about “unexpected” things that have happened after you moved in, like the couch breaking down.

And if you for some reasons signed the lease without having seen the furniture, there is hardly any way to complain about the initial state of the furniture, like springs in bed, either. In such case you took a gamble, which unfortunately didn’t work out.

I agree with you that the bed is extremely important. That’s why I check this one out very carefully before signing, and on several occasions I have turned around quickly when realizing the bed was too hard or soft for my liking.

But irrespective of the “legal” situation, I would anyway bring it up with the owner and agent. If you are lucky they might help you. If not, then you have a tough situation in front of you.

The situation is not that bleak. I'd put the bed/mattress into storage. I'd have the couch repaired and stored, then buy a decent quality bed (which won't be cheap) and a decent couch. You can use them in your next place when you move on. If anything else is likely to break, store that too and buy your own. 124kg is a bit over specks for Thai furniture, so you could run into the same problem anywhere. Even if the bed seems strong, unless you get a very good quality mattress, eventually you'll have indented areas where you lay. If you buy new, remember to rotate it often, vertically and horizontally.

I have to agree most hotels in thailand has a very firm mattress. After a few days back  hurt me always.. But in any Ikea or jysk are very well formable foam mattress. prices and is between 200-400 dollars for 90X200. and are excellent for larger people or pain in back . not true that when you are heavy weight you must have a firm mattress... If you stay  longer in Thailand it is advantageous to mattresses sent from abroad. cheap becouse its not heavy only big:)

1 hour ago, Stardust314 said:

I have to agree most hotels in thailand has a very firm mattress. After a few days back  hurt me always.. But in any Ikea or jysk are very well formable foam mattress. prices and is between 200-400 dollars for 90X200. and are excellent for larger people or pain in back . not true that when you are heavy weight you must have a firm mattress... If you stay  longer in Thailand it is advantageous to mattresses sent from abroad. cheap becouse its not heavy only big:)

It's not about the firmness - that's personal taste. It's about the quality of the mattress and how well it keeps it form and shape. I like them firm and believe that's better for your back.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Why don't you just visit IKEA and buy yourself a nice comfy mattress and return that cheap  one to the owner. Problem solved. 

Because I'm stingy, and I don't want to lug a mattress around every time I want to move also when it says fully furnished that's what I expect and I expect it to be of a decent quality, if not I go elswhere

Assuming one is interested in renting a particular apartment longer term but the furniture is not up to much, then ask the landlord if you can move your own stuff in. A longer term rental might be enough for the landlord to move it to another apartment if any good or dump it. The difference it makes to have your own stuff in there is immeasurable. The downside for the tenant is that the stuff purchased may have to be abandoned at the end. Worth it IMHO. The much more expensive alternative is to buy your own place.

Edited by SheungWan

I fully agree with the above post I have no problem letting tenants move there own furniture in as long as they pay for the storage of mine in a good storage facility. I have thought about renting unfurnished however having tried that with a property it very soon became apparent it was not a good ploy was empty for a month or so put furniture back in and it rented in a week.

The other problem is long term rentals I do a yearly or 6 monthly contract the first time when a prospective Tennant comes I require references one of which must be the last landlord here or abroad. Then I give them a 6 month tenancy leading to yearly if all is good within the 6 month (only ever had one bad Tennant youngish couple european). I rent properties to make money pure and simple fact. I do invest in properties and ensure they are maintained to a high standard which includes the furniture. If let's say a sofa breaks and it's just fair wear and tear  I will replace it to a standard I belive is acceptable. Now if the Tennant was to ask me at that stage if they could buy a sofa I would of course agree and they could obviously take it with them if they were to leave the property.

On 7/29/2016 at 8:38 AM, 2008bangkok said:

Iv been here now 12 years living in various houses/apartments..

iv also had to put a suitcase underneath the bed on either side to try and balance it out because of fearing that it will snap, the couch in the front room, one side has practically collapsed

Have you tried bricks? Find 20 or so  bricks, sneak them into the building and form a support structure under the bed!  Make sure you spread bricks around the floor evenly, otherwise the whole floor  may collapse, and then security deposit is bye bye for sure!

Any updates on how things are going, you mentioned the couch is on the verge of collapse.  Hoping all is well! 

On 31/08/2016 at 2:37 AM, Deepinthailand said:

I fully agree with the above post I have no problem letting tenants move there own furniture in as long as they pay for the storage of mine in a good storage facility. I have thought about renting unfurnished however having tried that with a property it very soon became apparent it was not a good ploy was empty for a month or so put furniture back in and it rented in a week.

The other problem is long term rentals I do a yearly or 6 monthly contract the first time when a prospective Tennant comes I require references one of which must be the last landlord here or abroad. Then I give them a 6 month tenancy leading to yearly if all is good within the 6 month (only ever had one bad Tennant youngish couple european). I rent properties to make money pure and simple fact. I do invest in properties and ensure they are maintained to a high standard which includes the furniture. If let's say a sofa breaks and it's just fair wear and tear  I will replace it to a standard I belive is acceptable. Now if the Tennant was to ask me at that stage if they could buy a sofa I would of course agree and they could obviously take it with them if they were to leave the property.

I am not sure how many tenants will be keen on paying for storage. if its a long term rental I just chuck the stuff and swallow the cost. In fact doing that right now (not Thailand though).

3 hours ago, peeba7 said:

I noticed many mattresses in Thailand are one piece, similar to box springs in the west. 

Eventually everything falls apart, here most everything falls apart quicker or much quickly. 

If you go out shopping for a mattress, you will find many different qualities and price levels. The problem I have found with (some) rented apartments is that (some) landlords are quite happy to leave old, stained mattresses in situ and are reluctant to spend.