New SCAM from AIS 1-2Call

Mangostin

As the expiration's date for one of my phones was getting closer, i decided today to pay for extending the validity (as i still had almost 300 Bahts inside).

Last time i topped up this phone, was on the 3rd of August 2015, and the validity supposed to be till the 13th of May 2016, even if the message showed up 2015 instead of 2016, i didn't really made a big fuss of it and blamed it on the usual thai messing around with stuff and logic, as the logic would suggest that someone wouldn't be able to use its phone or even just top up on the 3/08/15 (d/m/y), if the validity of its credit was until the 13/05/2015 (d/m/y), but as usual, logic here it's just as an unwanted annoyance......

I hope no mighty local it's going to kill me in the process of making them notice this, wish me well.....laugh.png

post-255640-0-10990100-1469772904_thumb.post-255640-0-82643700-1469772913_thumb.post-255640-0-74548100-1469772923_thumb.post-255640-0-63857100-1469772933_thumb.

What is the reply to *121# send? (Or you an call *121 and use the IVR system.)

You can use a top-up machine, getting 30 days for each 10 baht top-up (12 baht with the 2 baht fee), so 144 baht (120 baht credit balance) for 365 days

No number will work, the display just show "INVALID SIM", the signal it's there with 3 bars, but even after a *121# it will just say "FAIL!" , even if there is plenty of credit and the validity suppose to be till the 13th of May this year, which according to their pages, the number should last for another 90 days after that date, so about the middle of next month...

Source: http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/help_support.aspx

post-255640-0-50514600-1469783174_thumb.

Forbidding you to use your own money and having to go an extra mile to get back what it's rightly yours, this when claiming that you have plenty of time before you will lose it and without even warning you? What if i was not in a condition to do the extra "jumpings" for whatever reasons, knowing that apparently there wouldn't be any problem with the usage, and then this date "mistake"...is it really a mistake or there is more to it?

What do you think LongBall?

Forbidding you to use your own money and having to go an extra mile to get back what it's rightly yours, this when claiming that you have plenty of time before you will lose it and without even warning you? What if i was not in a condition to do the extra "jumpings" for whatever reasons, knowing that apparently there wouldn't be any problem with the usage, and then this date "mistake"...is it really a mistake or there is more to it?

Did you register the SIM? Dial lfreet3.png in order to check.

To be honest, i can't recall when it was exactly, i could Google that up but honestly i think it's not necessary, as before the only deadline i was aware of, i have taken all my devices to register, so, if i had missed something, then why only one of them stopped working?

To be honest, i can't recall when it was exactly, i could Google that up but honestly i think it's not necessary, as before the only deadline i was aware of, i have taken all my devices to register, so, if i had missed something, then why only one of them stopped working?

Have you tried the short code to check? It takes a few seconds.

I'm having a hard time following the narrative here but I think:

the OP's SIM had an expiry of of mid-May (maybe 2015, maybe 2016)

the SIM is currently not working - the AIS network will not allow it onto their network

the OP wishes to revive his number/SIM/account

the OP thinks AIS gives a 90-day grace period, after expiration

I'm not sure how to interpret the posted Q & A? It could mean that numbers which are unused for 90 days can be recycled, regardless of expiry, or it could mean that numbers which remain unused for 90 days after expiry will be recycled. If the latter, and the OP's expiry was mid-May 2016, he may be in this grace period, and may be able to revive his number?

I might try calling in to the number from another number/phone to see what the message is, or to speak with the new owner. Or maybe try a 10 baht top-up at a machine to see if that resurrects it.

A visit to a full-service AIS store is probably in order; can't wait to hear what happens.

I think AIS have shortened the validity period for PAYG phones. I keep mine topped up, and it normally shows that it will be valid for a year from top up for say THB1000.

That seems to have been shortened to eight or nine months. I did ask an AIS staff member, and she suggested better to top up in small regular denominations. Not great if you are out of the country for any length of time. Especially with OTP's for internet banking etc.

You can do top-ups at machines for as little as 10 baht (12 baht with the fee), and each top up yields 30 days with AIS, DTAC and TrueMove H.

I maintain quite a few SIMs for friends who are infrequent visitors, and few of my own which get loaned to visiting friends/family/colleagues.

So you can add 365 days of validity (the maximum) for 144 baht (and get 120 baht balance for use on calls, data, etc.).

These machines are everywhere, including every BTS station and in front of nearly every convenience store.

https://www.dreamstime.com/editorial-image-public-payphone-top-up-machine-bts-train-station-bangkok-thailand-january-corner-advertisement-poster-thai-image65330995

Most of the providers also have expiry buy up schemes: DTAC's is 50 baht for 180 days and 100 baht for 365 days.

Edited by mtls2005

I'm having a hard time following the narrative here but I think:

Maybe you could try just to follow the pictures if you have difficulties with the rest, basically, you top up in August and after you pay the new credit bring you 3 months backwards into the past, does that makes any sense to you? And how could the phone still possibly still be functioning if its validity was expired longs before that?...hope this help

the OP's SIM had an expiry of of mid-May (maybe 2015, maybe 2016)

There is NO room for a "maybe" when you have a screenshot of the AIS messages under your nose

the SIM is currently not working - the AIS network will not allow it onto their network

the OP wishes to revive his number/SIM/account

the OP thinks AIS gives a 90-day grace period, after expiration

The OP doesn't think the AIS give you that time, but it's AIS to PUBLISH on their official page just that, which is of common knowledge anyways

AIS made a mistake and they've told you how it can be rectified, they haven't deliberately "forbidden" anything. It certainly is not a scam.

If you had called them when you got the wrong top up message instead of knowingly ignoring it and doing nothing the situation would never have arisen. AIS slipped up but you compounded an issue that was really nothing and you are to blame for that.