Romance Scam gang leader arrested - one of nine Thai women pretending to be one handsome, rich faran

rooster59

Romance Scam gang leader arrested - one of nine Thai women pretending to be one handsome, rich farang

post-247607-0-98566000-1469835113_thumb.

Image: Thairath

UDON THANI:-- It is becoming one of the oldest tricks online. Thai women - usually with African husbands - who are pretending to be rich farang men to entice lovelorn Thai women to part with money.

The gangs - and police say there are many dozens operating in Thailand - befriend women online. A whole group of people pretend to be a rich, successful western businessman.

Conversations go on for many months and love appears to grow - at least from the victims.

Then comes the sting - the businessman is facing some sudden and unexpected need for quick cash to save a business venture.

If the Thai woman can only help them out then it will soon be repaid and they will come to Thailand, get married and live happily ever after....

Of course, once the money is paid - using other gang members with accounts who help to convince the victim that everything is above board - they are never heard from again.

Udon police announced the arrest on Friday of 36 year old Soithip (or Gik) Orimobi who had been wanted on a warrant after eight other gang members had been rounded up.

All were Thai women pretending to be one farang man. The victim - an Udon woman - had parted with 980,000 in eight instalments before contacting the cops.

Soithip admitted charges of defrauding the woman back in October of last year. Soithip has a Nigerian husband who is a spa owner in Malaysia. He is married to a Malaysian and Soithip is his second wife.

She claimed he had no knowledge of what she was doing.

Many of the gangs are operating out of Malaysia, said police. The total defrauded by the gangs preying on Thai women is thought to be not less than one billion baht in total making the romance scam a major online problem.

Police said most of the gangs can be traced to involvement with African men. Indeed, Soithip said that most of her gang were married to Africans.

Police issued a warning to Thai women to be very careful when talking with strangers online lest they fall victim to the romance scam.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-30

Greed!

I know a girl who has been chatting for 9 nine months with a lady she met on Facebook. The lady claims to be a rich British lady and is interested in helping this girl and her family.

Last week she came to me for help in translating some documents. Apparently the women in England has transferred 9,5 million pounds to this girl's account. I said to her ":who on earth would give you 450 million baht without ever meeting you?" I told her to ignore everything.

She got quite angry and said that I didn't understand. This lady had become her best friend.

I haven't heard anymore from her. I just hope she didn't fall for this scam.

People are so gullible.

It only works with people who have bad intentions and a low IQ

Is that how you justify your disdain for people who trust others?

I dont know about the bad intentions, but the description sure fits a few who trusted Thai women enough to buy houses they cant own.

Greed!

I know a girl who has been chatting for 9 nine months with a lady she met on Facebook. The lady claims to be a rich British lady and is interested in helping this girl and her family.

Last week she came to me for help in translating some documents. Apparently the women in England has transferred 9,5 million pounds to this girl's account. I said to her ":who on earth would give you 450 million baht without ever meeting you?" I told her to ignore everything.

She got quite angry and said that I didn't understand. This lady had become her best friend.

People are so gullible.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

it happens regularly yet the perpetuation goes on, fueled

by ignorance, insecurity and greed.

the authorities can only do so much as to forewarn.

personal simple precautionary participation is essential to combat such crime.

"with 980,000 in eight instalments before contacting the cops" the stupidity of the Thai girls.

It is a very Orientalist viewpoint to call this sad story "stupidity".

What too few seem to forget is that Thai daughters are brought up (brainwashed) to be "kind" and to have "nam jai" or generosity....first to their mama, then to the outer circles of the family and finally to anyone with a bit of authority, from teachers to men in general and finally, and above all, to the male farang guest.

See her response in that context and you will have sympathy for her plight.

Greed!

People are so gullible.

Of course she will get the 450 million B, hahaha yeah right, it's a sure thing !!! But just when it is all set to go into her bank account she is told,

oh, you just have to pay 10,000B first to clear the funds, or something or other, after you pay that, then they disappear forever !!!

I hope she took your good advice !! and a good chance it wasn't even a lady ?

I dont know about the bad intentions, but the description sure fits a few who trusted Thai women enough to buy houses they cant own.

The woman's IQ is not so low, if she can get a farang to buy or build her a house that he can't even own half of it....

I think it's the farang that has the low IQ,, or his brain is in his dick, maybe some work out, but many do not and they lose the lot !!!

The woman's IQ is not so low, if she can get a farang to buy or build her a house that he can't even own half of it....

I think it's the farang that has the low IQ,, or his brain is in his dick, maybe some work out, but many do not and they lose the lot !!!

Any man that want's to build a girl a house, should think seriously about moving to the Philippines, where you can own land or house, in your OWN name... and Philippine girls are pretty cute too ,,,

Why anyone 'trusts' someone with whom they have only ever communicated online, yet alone thinks they have 'fallen in love' with, has always escaped me.

One of the most fundamental skills that humans have developed over millennia is the use of their five (or even six) senses in face-to-face encounter, to discern the veracity or otherwise of what they are being told. To expect that this skill has evolved over the last twenty years of the Internet to encompass the virtual world is ridiculous. People remain by-and-large gullible; the invention of the Internet has provided a wonderful vehicle to part even more poor souls from their money, and sometimes their dignity and much else besides.

Wouldn't think so. Just dimwits. Greed and stupidity, a lethal combination. In this case desperation and stupidity. I'd love to read some of the emails. These people barely know 50% ot grammar. Must have been tough making yourself out to be a hi-so foreigner with such low level English skills most Thai's have.

"Soithip has a Nigerian husband who is a spa owner in Malaysia. He is married to a Malaysian and Soithip is his second wife.

She claimed he had no knowledge of what she was doing."

What a laugh.Only in Thailand could this be written with a straight face.Where do you find these women,i come a lot cheaper than that and i still have all my own hair and teeth.Oh yeah,i am a male also.

Nigeria, hub of world scams. They leave even the Chinese and the Russians in the dust.

It is the same scam,used many times for decades,must be successful.You can't fix stupid.I know a Thai nurse who spent $10,000 on some love scam.She is not greedy,just lonely.

Did I miss something?

"Police issued a warning to Thai women to be very careful when talking with strangers online lest they fall victim to the romance scam."

This is it? This is the extent of police authority? No arrests for fraud or extortion (or something)? Are there words for fraud or extortion in Thai language?

I get your drift but a farang can own a house.This has been gone over many times.

Wouldn't think so. Just dimwits. Greed and stupidity, a lethal combination. In this case desperation and stupidity. I'd love to read some of the emails. These people barely know 50% ot grammar. Must have been tough making yourself out to be a hi-so foreigner with such low level English skills most Thai's have.

well of course the Thai woman would't know if your English was right, or not, as not many of theirs is ....

Did I miss something?

"Police issued a warning to Thai women to be very careful when talking with strangers online lest they fall victim to the romance scam."

This is it? This is the extent of police authority? No arrests for fraud or extortion (or something)? Are there words for fraud or extortion in Thai language?

I guess it is a bit hard to arrest someone in Africa and with a false name and is just online ?? uh !