Who listens to classical music? And what are your favorite pieces?

40 minutes ago, jvs said:

One of my favorites but there are lots more!

I listen to all kinds of music everyday.

Usually by headphones but sometimes i crank up the old stereo set,sounds great!

Yes my Thai partner also likes some classical music.

One to play , one to operate the pipes and one to turn the pages and what a sound eh ?

• Like 1

I use to, though haven't a clue what pieces.  Chopin, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, and few other, that escape my memory.  

Remember listening on my 'walkman', yea, that long ago, in the workplace break room.  Buddy strolled by, asked 'what you listening to ? ' ????  Mozart I think .... he didn't believe me, then realized I was serious, and asked for a listen.  Kind of kept them on for a few tunes ????

Think he was expecting a little Black Sabbath or Led Zep when asking.

Thai wife will listen to it occasionally.  Got a chuckle first time I caught her listening to it, when I hadn't put it on.  I tend to listen to instrumental, whether classical or jazz, or something else.  Lyrics, even stuff I used to listen to, are a bit annoying any more.  Surprised now that I ever liked some of the c r a p I used to listen to.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, jvs said:

One of my favorites but there are lots more!

I listen to all kinds of music everyday.

Usually by headphones but sometimes i crank up the old stereo set,sounds great!

Yes my Thai partner also likes some classical music.

A friend used to practice this on her keyboard. And I would sit and listen.

What a majestic sound!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Real Name Hidden said:

I really miss the free concert in the park by the Royal Bangkok Symphony Orchestra.  Another victim of covid, they would start off every show with the William Tell Overture.

Otherwise, I enjoy Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Bizet, and Strauss.  I think this is my favorite composition.

I never went to the free concerts in the park but attended many at the Thailand Cultural Center. Definitely worthwhile. Actually there are three concerts scheduled in February.

Thanks for your suggestions.

• Like 1

Thank you to all who are making suggestions. Please keep them coming. I watched an interview with Stephen Sondheim after his death, and have been listening to some of the classical composers he cited as influences: (Ravel, Rachmaninoff, Stravinsky, Johannes Brahms, Paganini). Some of those composers are a challenge for me. Hoping to find some more accessible classics. I enjoy listening to classical music while working in the garden.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This one is also not too bad. @41632584 it seems you posted this a second before me. ???? 

Actually, to be honest, you posted a better interpretation or version. I have listened to this specific performance many times. You clearly have a musical ear! 

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I also like the background information about is and how difficult it is to play it.

Ravel's Bolero is quite difficult to play. It was performed in Bangkok last month. First time I heard it live. It was electrifying.

3 minutes ago, 41632584 said:

Actually, to be honest, you posted a better interpretation or version. I have listened to this specific performance many times. You clearly have a musical ear! 

Thanks, to be fair it seems YouTube's algorism helped a little. I saw previously a couple of performances from Gustavo Dudamel. It seems YouTube remembered this and when I searched for Dvorak new world that was one of the first videos...