Muslims attend Sunday Mass after terror killing of French priest

webfact

Muslims attend Sunday Mass after terror killing of French priest

606x341_340116.jpg

ROUEN: -- Many Muslims attended church in France this Sunday to show compassion for slain priest, Father Jacques Hamel, and solidarity with their Catholic compatriots.

Nowhere was the emotion stronger than in Rouen Cathedral, near Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, where the elderly priest had his throat slit in church, in the name of ISIL.

“It is the same God. It is the house of God,” said one Muslim woman, among at least 100 who attended the Rouen service in a cathedral packed with nearly 2,000 worshippers.

France’s Muslim Council urged those who follow Islam to attend Mass this Sunday.

“It is a symbol. We want the spilled blood of Jacques Hamel to act as cement for more fraternity, more equality and greater ties between the communities,” said Mohammed Karabila, the President of Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray mosque.

Nuns held hostage amid Tuesday’s bloodshed and members of Jacques Hamel’s family also attended the service in Rouen.

Muslims nationwide also answered the call to join Catholics at their Sunday Mass.

With the priest’s teenage killers shot dead by police, the investigation is now broadening to see what help they may have had in committing France’s latest terrorist murder.

A cousin of one of the pair, Abdel Malik Petitjean, has now been charged with a terror-related offence.

Prosecutors have said the 30-year-old, identified only as Farid K., was well aware his cousin was about to commit a violent attack, albeit without knowing the time or place.

-- Euronews 2016-08-01

Where is this topic popular?

Tap to find out

France’s Muslim Council urged those who follow Islam to attend Mass this Sunday.

For the Muslim faithful I'd think this is a very radical departure from a religion that disavows the use of or the presence of any symbol for any faith (Islam objects to the figure of Christ n the cross) - punishable by banning and/or physical harm. If jihadist terrorism can ultimately be the key to Islam moderation, there might be hope yet for all Muslims to save their faith. 

Some would say it is a token gesture, but I welcome it. I wish more and more Muslims start to speak out against Islamic extremists; and also cooperate with the authorities in the fight against extremism.

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

I would not welcome them at my Church.

Seems like inviting trouble--I wonder if there was Security at the door.

Well stay home with your principles of sectarian faith.

What happened in this church of Rouen Sunday has a high symbolic value. It shows the refusal of believers of all stripes to be used as a pretext for hatred and barbarism. It's a slow start, but I'm sure he will be followed and that the fraternal good sense will prevail.

Unfortunately people in Manichean mind will never understand this fine evolution

1 minute ago, happy Joe said:

Well stay home with your principles of sectarian faith.

What happened in this church of Rouen Sunday has a high symbolic value. It shows the refusal of believers of all stripes to be used as a pretext for hatred and barbarism. It's a slow start, but I'm sure he will be followed and that the fraternal good sense will prevail.

Unfortunately people in Manichean mind will never understand this fine evolution

You misread my reason for not wanting them at my Church.

I don't trust one of them won't bring in a bomb or a knife.

Do you know what would have an even larger "symbolic" value?

If one of these Muslim moderates would turn in one of these muslim extemists.

It is a symbolic gesture, but it is an important step forward by people who run some risk by doing this.  The more we see some of the Muslims coming forward against the hate, killing and mayhem, the better.   

The longest journey starts with a single step.   This may be one of those.   

2 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Rather like German Nazi's attending a synagogue 'in sympathy' meaningless as the ideology in question was totally against Jews, just as Islam is totally against those who do not believe.

Do you realize that large Christian communities thrived in the Middle East under Islam for well over a thousand years?  That even though the Balkans were ruled by the Turks for several hundred years, the population remained overwhelmingly Christian?  That, in so called Moslem Spain, the majority of the people were Catholics. And that Jewish communities thrived there, too?  In fact, when the Christians reconquered Spain, Moslem Turkey welcomed refugee Jews.   Your belief about Islam is undermined by about 1500 years of history.

Soooo...you are asking for Muslims to condemn every bad deed any Muslim somewhere on Earth ever does...but when they do, it is just "lipservice" and you would not want them in "your church"?!

Hypocrits, the whole lot of you!

20 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Soooo...you are asking for Muslims to condemn every bad deed any Muslim somewhere on Earth ever does...but when they do, it is just "lipservice" and you would not want them in "your church"?!

I would settle for a Muslim turning in another Muslim for plotting a terrorist act on American soil.

31 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I would settle for a Muslim turning in another Muslim for plotting a terrorist act on American soil.

So, I did a google search based on your sentence here. In less than 30 seconds I found this:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/fbi-muslim-outreach-terrorism-213765

Can you please explain to me the attraction of being willfully ignorant?

Edited by ilostmypassword
wrong link

18 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I would settle for any American, legal and illegal immigrant to turn in anyone plotting a terrorist act in America. Being of race, creed, nationality or political ideology doesn't excuse anyone for such violent acts.

9 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I would settle for any American, legal and illegal immigrant to turn in anyone plotting a terrorist act in America. Being of race, creed, nationality or political ideology doesn't excuse anyone for such violent acts.

Now you can settle away to your heart's content.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/fbi-muslim-outreach-terrorism-213765

Edited by ilostmypassword
wrong link

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Agree, really a zero sum argument. To add the Muslim group attending the church in Rouen were from the Ahmadiyya sect who preach against all forms of terrorism and are subjected to killing and oppression in their home countries. No idea which Muslim groups were represented in other churches in France and Italy to protest the murder.

Ahamdi belief:

As far as Islam is concerned, it categorically rejects and condemns every form of terrorism. It does not provide any cover or justification for any act of violence, be it committed by an individual, a group or a government.

This is a really positive step in the right direction. The issue amongst so many people I know, is that there does not seem to be much resistance or pushback amongst the moderate people within the Muslim community. They are not out in the streets protesting, nor do we hear of many of these kinds of events taking place. Granted, most of the media does not seem to have an interest in reporting this kind of thing. But, for many, just seeing something like this is a big step, and somewhat comforting. The moderate Muslim community needs to step up in a huge way. If the radical were denied safe haven, and their own community made them pariahs, they would soon cease to exist. 

On 8/1/2016 at 11:39 PM, Rod Gold said:

When they stop allowing their Mullahs to preach hate and death to the infidels in their Mosques, and start turning in their militant members, we may see some improvement in that terrorist breeding community.

Politicians in Australia pussyfoot around the issue of islamic terrorism, and some can't even say the words, lest they offend the muslim community.  The logic is that they want to keep the muslims "on side" so that the authorities receive information from other muslims about potential terrorist activity.  But......it's not happening.  Muslims won't dob on their fellow muslims, and to my knowledge, from what has been published, NO information has been forthcoming, so we're pandering to them, and they're laughing at us.

There will be those who argue that police wouldn't publish information that had been received from the muslim community, but there is a lot of merit in doing so, if it ever happens.   Muslims who know that they may be dobbed from within are less likely to be involved in crime.

Racial vilification laws in Australia are serious business, yet hate preachers implore their followers to kill Jews and infidels generally, but charges are never laid.  Bizarre at best.  Charge and convict a few and watch the reaction.  As Emperor Qing said, "Kill one, frighten a thousand".  It's the very philosophy on which terrorism operates.

Police here have a MEOC (Middle East Organized Crime) Unit, and I saw a cop on TV talking about it and some of the busts, military grade weapons, even a rocket launcher, tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition, etc.   He said the problem is bigger than we can imagine, and getting bigger.

Nice sentiment, reach out touchy feeling, but they don't reciprocate, and the ONLY result is that we look like mugs.

9 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Politicians in Australia pussyfoot around the issue of islamic terrorism, and some can't even say the words, lest they offend the muslim community.  The logic is that they want to keep the muslims "on side" so that the authorities receive information from other muslims about potential terrorist activity.  But......it's not happening.  Muslims won't dob on their fellow muslims, and to my knowledge, from what has been published, NO information has been forthcoming, so we're pandering to them, and they're laughing at us.

There will be those who argue that police wouldn't publish information that had been received from the muslim community, but there is a lot of merit in doing so, if it ever happens.   Muslims who know that they may be dobbed from within are less likely to be involved in crime.

Racial vilification laws in Australia are serious business, yet hate preachers implore their followers to kill Jews and infidels generally, but charges are never laid.  Bizarre at best.  Charge and convict a few and watch the reaction.  As Emperor Qing said, "Kill one, frighten a thousand".  It's the very philosophy on which terrorism operates.

Police here have a MEOC (Middle East Organized Crime) Unit, and I saw a cop on TV talking about it and some of the busts, military grade weapons, even a rocket launcher, tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition, etc.   He said the problem is bigger than we can imagine, and getting bigger.

Nice sentiment, reach out touchy feeling, but they don't reciprocate, and the ONLY result is that we look like mugs.

The reason members of the Muslim community do not rat-out one another is that the life expectancy of the whistleblower is vastly diminished, and brings fear and shame to their immediate family.

From a Muslim perspective: Why on earth would a Muslim want to prevent death and destruction to infidels?

This is the sad reality of the situation.