Urgent advice needed

Hi guys, would appreciate your input. I am asking this for my boss.  This is concerning Samui immigration.

facts: 

He had a non imm B issued for 3 months from his country - Sri Lanka . 

He got his work permit.

visa was expiring on 28th July so our hr manager went to Samui immigration to apply for an extension on the 25th of July.

immigration asked for business operating license to do the extension which was unavailable for reasons unknown to me. (well I suspect some paperwork is not in order but none of my concern)

anyway hr manager said he wasn't offered any alternative for example 1 week extension or anything until the best course of action is decided ( which I find funny).

the result is he's now on overstay and I read that his work permit will now be invalid and he has to start the whole process. Is this correct? 

Can he get a new non b from any other country than Sri Lanka? 

Where should he pay his overstay fines?

what a muddle - all because of trust put in an incompetent human resources offices.

this is the reason why I take my visa things so seriously and insist on doing all things myself.

any comments on his best course of actions are much appreciated as time is of the essence.

Thanks Ubonjoe for your swift response as usual. 

So he has to go to Sri Lanka and start again from scratch. Get a new non b, come back Thailand and apply again for a work permit. After wp issued he will apply for one year extension. Correct? 

Nothing nobody can do now from immigration as the visa has expired and he is on overstay.

13 minutes ago, chefseph said:

Thanks Ubonjoe for your swift response as usual. 

So he has to go to Sri Lanka and start again from scratch. Get a new non b, come back Thailand and apply again for a work permit. After wp issued he will apply for one year extension. Correct? 

Nothing nobody can do now from immigration as the visa has expired and he is on overstay.

His wok permit is still be valid unless he or somebody from the company cancels it. He just needs a new non-b and then he can apply for an extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

If he only had 2 or 3 days of overstay many immigration offices would of let him apply for the extension if the missing document was available. He could of applied for a 7 day extension to avoid the overstay but most offices would not let him apply for the extension during the 7 days to leave the country they are for.

http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/thai-work-permit-process.html

Oh ok. i was confused cause I had read on here that the work permit will be valid as long as your visa is valid, as in your passport.  So I assumed that it will be invalid since the visa is expired. Good to know.

regarding immigration, apparently the new boss of Samui immigration is a very strict by the book guy... Or so I heard.

cheers for your help!