CASH required for marriage extension

Khon Kaen Immigration

I have just been advised by KhonKaen Immigration that my marriage extension,( Submitted, checked  and agreed as correct in KhonKaen last week is NOW being held up) because my Embassy letter says UK pension GBP 9740 per annum, which at todays rate is thai Batt 447,400, they are saying I do not have enough, 1GBP=45.9343THB

Immigration are now are saying I need 480,000, or 40,000 per month

I have other pensions I did not ask the Embassy to certify as I believed they had sufficient,to satisfy the immigration requirement  

I also have other cash outside thailand, but requires two months to season

I have done 5/6 marriage extentions, but in the past always done cash in the bank here,

This is the first year I use embassy letter, because I am now keeping spare cash in my wifes account as my health has not been good we have around 1,000,000batt but of course in the wrong name

I am so stressed out on this, I try so very hard to do exactly what they require

CAN ANYONE PLEASE SHED ANY LIGHT ON THIS OR GIVE ADVICE  ?   ?   ?

I need to find agent in KhonKaen to do on my behalf, I am happy to pay them to submit my application on my behalf

• If using the income method you do need the equivalent of 40K pm (480K py).
  • You only need 400K in the bank if using the bank deposit method.
  • You can't use a combination of the two for a marriage extension.

If you can deposit 400K in a Thai bank before the current extension expires you could apply for a 60 day extension now and apply for the 1 year extension once the money has been in the bank for 2 months.

• Like 2

They should of checked the exchange rate on the date you applied. Looking at the exchange rate for Tuesday July 26 it was 45.33. It seems you were even shorter on funds than what you think.
You could talk to them about getting a new income letter if you have more pension you can show on it. They apparently failed to check the exchange rate to see if you had enough income. Since you are now on the under consideration period they might agree to wait a few days while you get a new letter.

• Like 2

I do also belong to Khon Kaen, and knows how they are calculating.... They are using the lower note-rate of exchange and NOT the higher TT-rate of exchange. They are using the rate of exchange given by Bangkok Bank...

I dont know if this is useful to know, but todays rate of exchange for GBP is 45.22 for notes and 45.438 for TT... So there is a differenc between TT and notes for you....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

I am appreciative of the good advice, I believe the problem is not actually the exchange rate, that has of course moved badly since Brexit, but the fact I thought the embassy letter had to show 400, 000 , BUT apparently if on income basis at 480,000 and not cash in bank400,000 then i am outside

I do have a couple of thousand UK pounds in a sterling account with Bangkok, if they will allow this to be aggregated then I would be OK

I am not sure I can get another letter in time from the UK Embassy

The 1.0 m i have put in my wifes name in her bank account will not count !!

I will by lunchtime Wednesday have 500,000 in my savings account but of course the two months will not have passed

May have to do 60 day extension while money seasons, then reapply marriage extension

I am so angry at myself I got it wrong, each time I go to immigration I dread it, and I try so hard to get it all right

I spend 2.0/3.0M Batt plus here each year, and do contribute to Thailand, I support a wife her two children, her parents and two or three workers from the local village, but then if I do not like it I can leave, and am seriously thinking about it

• Like 1

A couple of points that might help others avoid this particular bear trap:

1. The figure in your embassy letter should be the amount you receive before any tax is deducted.

2. Prepare an easy to follow document showing calculations. This saves Immigration having to work it out themselves and will invariably be accepted.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, evadgib said:

A couple of points that might help others avoid this particular bear trap:

1. The figure in your embassy letter should be the amount you receive before any tax is deducted.

2. Prepare an easy to follow document showing calculations. This saves Immigration having to work it out themselves and will invariably be accepted.

HTH

Precisely what calculations are you referring to in your second point? The make-up of your home country currency total monthly amount stated in the Embassy letter/affidavit? Or the conversion of this amount into THB?

In my case I merely present the British Embassy letter to the immigration officer who then spends the next 10-15 seconds tapping out on a calculator what the key monthly total equates to in THB!

11 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • If using the income method you do need the equivalent of 40K pm (480K py).
  • You only need 400K in the bank if using the bank deposit method.
  • You can't use a combination of the two for a marriage extension.

If you can deposit 400K in a Thai bank before the current extension expires you could apply for a 60 day extension now and apply for the 1 year extension once the money has been in the bank for 2 months.

You can only have one extension per year. If he gets a 60 day ext, he will be refused a 1 year ext and he will have to leave the country for a new visa. This happened to me a couple of years ago due to similar circumstances. This year I used an agent in CM but they screwed everything up. They got me a two month ext, so I sent the wife to talk to the Immigration officer. She was extremely helpful. I wasn't able to get a second ext this year based on spouse as I had already had one, but she advised me to apply for an extension based on supporting children.  I got the ext no problem. If the OP has kids, this may be an option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teacherofwoe said:

You can only have one extension per year. If he gets a 60 day ext, he will be refused a 1 year ext and he will have to leave the country for a new visa. This happened to me a couple of years ago due to similar circumstances. This year I used an agent in CM but they screwed everything up. They got me a two month ext, so I sent the wife to talk to the Immigration officer. She was extremely helpful. I wasn't able to get a second ext this year based on spouse as I had already had one, but she advised me to apply for an extension based on supporting children.  I got the ext no problem. If the OP has kids, this may be an option.

You are not limited to one extension per year.
You are limited to one 60 day extension per entry. If on extensions you are only allowed one 60 day extension for the entry that you are extending.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, al007 said:

I am appreciative of the good advice, I believe the problem is not actually the exchange rate, that has of course moved badly since Brexit, but the fact I thought the embassy letter had to show 400, 000 , BUT apparently if on income basis at 480,000 and not cash in bank400,000 then i am outside

I do have a couple of thousand UK pounds in a sterling account with Bangkok, if they will allow this to be aggregated then I would be OK

I am not sure I can get another letter in time from the UK Embassy

The 1.0 m i have put in my wifes name in her bank account will not count !!

I will by lunchtime Wednesday have 500,000 in my savings account but of course the two months will not have passed

May have to do 60 day extension while money seasons, then reapply marriage extension

I am so angry at myself I got it wrong, each time I go to immigration I dread it, and I try so hard to get it all right

I spend 2.0/3.0M Batt plus here each year, and do contribute to Thailand, I support a wife her two children, her parents and two or three workers from the local village, but then if I do not like it I can leave, and am seriously thinking about it

If using the income option it is best to only think about about the monthly requirement of 40k baht. That times 12 is 480k baht as you now know.

You should talk to immigration and ask them if they are willing to wait a week for you get a new income letter that will show all of your income, I suggest you take proof of that additional income with you. The should be flexible since they should of never accepted your extension application with a income that did not meet the requirements.
If you sent the request for the new income letter to the embassy today I think you will have it within a week. Recent reports from members indicate cases of them sending them back within a day or two from when they receive the request.

You cannot use the account to prove the 400k baht that is in your wife's name. It can only be in your name.

If they will not wait for you to get the new income letter you will have to apply for the 60 day extension and apply for the one year extension when you have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

Precisely what calculations are you referring to in your second point? The make-up of your home country currency total monthly amount stated in the Embassy letter/affidavit? Or the conversion of this amount into THB?

In my case I merely present the British Embassy letter to the immigration officer who then spends the next 10-15 seconds tapping out on a calculator what the key monthly total equates to in THB!

£ to THB

16 minutes ago, evadgib said:

£ to THB

That, of course, assumes that you are already aware of the relevant rate for the day when you intend to apply for your extension before preparing a calculation document and then setting off to the immigration office. Since banks here only update their daily rates from 8.30am this might be impracticable in the case of places such as Chiang Mai where queuing up outside the immigration office from the small hours is the strict order of the day if you are to stand any chance of obtaining an extension that day without the assistance of agents.

Thai Visa forum can and often does work well, thanks everybody

Some Observations

My original statement from my embassy pension was stated gross

My expiration date is August 15

New letter to embassy has already been sent EMS, this will show pensions at 4 times required amount, hope it will be back before Aug15

Have meeting with immigration this afternoon, will request time to remedy until Aug 15

I doubt immigration can do too much to me until Aug 15

IF my embassy letter not back by then, have to do 60 day extension, but would prefer not to use this; as can only be used once on existing ORIGINAL entry

Lets not forget that KK immigration also made the same mistake, by accepting my application

I go immigration this afternoon, will stay very cool, and watch this space

• Like 1

There's a reasonable window between applying for pension letter and turning up at immigration. Applicants needn't date their conversion but should apply common sence & apply whatever rate during that timeframe best suits them , particularly if they find themselves as close to the mark as OP.

Edited by evadgib

9 minutes ago, al007 said:

Thai Visa forum can and often does work well, thanks everybody

Some Observations

My original statement from my embassy pension was stated gross

My expiration date is August 15

New letter to embassy has already been sent EMS, this will show pensions at 4 times required amount, hope it will be back before Aug15

Have meeting with immigration this afternoon, will request time to remedy until Aug 15

I doubt immigration can do too much to me until Aug 15

IF my embassy letter not back by then, have to do 60 day extension, but would prefer not to use this; as can only be used once on existing ORIGINAL entry

Lets not forget that KK immigration also made the same mistake, by accepting my application

I go immigration this afternoon, will stay very cool, and watch this space

I think immigration will work with you on it.

I think you have longer than the 15th of August since you were given a under consideration stamp with a report back date on it. Not sure but I think KK immigration starts the 30 days from the date your current extension ends which would mean you have until September 15th to get your income sorted out.

12 minutes ago, evadgib said:

There's a reasonable window between applying for pension letter and turning up at immigration. Applicants needn't date their conversion but should apply common sence & apply whatever rate during that timeframe best suits them , particularly if they find themselves as close to the mark as OP.

You have no choice on the exchange rate used by immigration. They do the calculation on the date your apply for your extension.

If a person is close to required income to do the extension they are at the mercy of changing exchange rates.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think immigration will work with you on it.

I think you have longer than the 15th of August since you were given a under consideration stamp with a report back date on it. Not sure but I think KK immigration starts the 30 days from the date your current extension ends which would mean you have until September 15th to get your income sorted out.

Thanks yes my passport is stamped under consideration, report back Sept 14,I note and appreciate your input; but will try and do by Aug 15

I have also stacked my thai batt account this morning just in case I had to do 60 day extension, so would be able to show 400,000 plus for two months

Oh to the joys of living in Thailand

I am not quite sure what is happening on this thread, if i try to enter one way am blocked out by Thai govt green rectangle on whole page

Let me continue I criticise no one and respect the wishes of the thai government

I went to KK immigration this afternoon, there appears to be confusion there

I suggested as recommended on this thread, i reapply for embassy confirmation of pension, which will give pension of £41,000, i showed the letter to immigration sent ems this morning

Immigration seemed a little unrested especially when I said if necessary I would drive to Korat where our applications are approved with final approval

there were many different views by the people working in the immigration office

I made the comment if they had different views how were we to know right and wrong

I did say can we all see the immigration written rules so we may comply, but this lead up a dead end alley

I will report more when my embassy replies to me

http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Marriage-Visa.php

QUALIFICATIONS

Must be married to a Thai national

This is substantiated through a Marriage Certificate. There are instances (depending on the processing immigration office) when a copy of an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry is also required. This affirmation is obtained by the foreigner from his embassy in Thailand.

Must meet the financial requirement

Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or

Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income; or

Combination of the Thai bank account and yearly income with the total of 400,000 THB.

Supporting documents as proof of the security deposit in a Thai bank are as follows:

Updated bank book or passbook

Bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months.