10TB HDDs

Aussie69

20 minutes ago, Chicog said:

There seems to be a current trend of external HDDs selling at a lower price than internal HDDs for the same capacity - which is strange when the cost of the casing should add to the external HDD price.

Last month I just ordered a Seagate 5TB external HDD for $120 from Amazon.  Arrived in 2 days - the benefit of the US supply chain system.

Today I see the same item is selling for $110.  That's less than 2.4 cents/GB, which must be the current Best Value.

maybe the old way of looking at things but that is a lot of data to lose if the HDD fails...

OK in more resent years have upgraded both my mind set and HDD and know have 4x 1TB HDD's 

even so 2x 1TB HDD's have failed both replaced FREE as still within guarantee.. 

2 hours ago, Rob13 said:

Bit like putting all the eggs in one basket

Yep, if you're going to get one, you might as well get two of them.

That is a lot of data to lose unless you have it backed up somewhere.

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

I use the Drobo5N.  Hot swappable, better protection than any single RAID level, mix and match drives.

Better than any single RAID??

What I see is this more or less a normal RAID 5 or 6, depending on your configuration. And the BeyondRaid, is nothing more than a layer over the Raid for easier migration of different disks... Similar to the Hybrid Raid from Synology.

But yes and easy and cheap Raid solution. And more easy than most NAS to handle.

SSD sizes are starting to get larger than HDD's. 

Samsung 15TB SSD with a price tag of USD10.000.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-samsungs-15tb-pm1633a-ssd-now-available-purchase-us10000

I'll hope that in the next few years, the SSD prices are going to be less than HDD prices per TB. It should happen as the manufacturing numbers keep on growing. 

• 2 weeks later...