Politicians charged for 'disorting constitution' in private letters

webfact

Politicians charged for 'disorting constitution' in private letters

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

co.jpg

Commando police on Tuesday stand guard at Crime Suppression Division while the 11 suspects are brought to hear their charges.

BANGKOK — Eleven people, including former politicians and local officials, are under arrest for allegedly misrepresenting the new constitution draft that will be put to a referendum this Sunday.

For their alleged misrepresentation of the charter in the batches of letters that they sent to their supporters, the suspects face severe charges of insurrection, conspiring against law enforcement and violating the referendum law, which bans any attempt to “mislead” the public to vote for or against the constitution.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/08/02/politicians-charged-distorting-constitution-private-letters/

-- Khaosod English 2016-08-03

Could this be the reason Thai postal services delivery times have gone down hill so badly over the past two years?       ......All persons private letters are being checked for political content?

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

Depends on your point of view whether the letters represent a distortion or not.

Depends on the NCPO and their surrogate EC point of view whether the letters represent a distortion or not and also from who it originates.

It really depend what they wrote, if what they wrote is clear lies and can be proven as untrue then yes they should be punished. 

If they say the healthcare 30 bt will be abolished and it is not that would be a clear lie and a way to sabotage the process. In that case yes guilty. 

Remember politicians fearing this new constitution because of the heavy punishments for corruption and the fact that the army keeps a tight leash on them. So what they say is not the truth per se. 

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

It really depend what they wrote, if what they wrote is clear lies and can be proven as untrue then yes they should be punished. 

If they say the healthcare 30 bt will be abolished and it is not that would be a clear lie and a way to sabotage the process. In that case yes guilty. 

Remember politicians fearing this new constitution because of the heavy punishments for corruption and the fact that the army keeps a tight leash on them. So what they say is not the truth per se. 

"It really depend what they wrote, if what they wrote is clear lies and can be proven as untrue then yes they should be punished."

Why??? Is it punishable to tell lies in the country where you come from? I mean, if lies were a crime then surely the "PM" (and the rest of the junta) would have been behind bars a long time ago.

But, as with corruption and other issues they don't practice what they preach.

@MZurf

Your probably an American or something like that. Lying to get something voted out is just not done and is punishable here. I agree with that. If they have valid points I have no problem with that. However really lying then I feel they deserve what they get.

I havent read the letter and I can't compare them to the constitution so I can't really say if its a lie or not but I am stating here IF then they deserve what they get. But of course you got the Mr of white lies Kittiriat famous in the PTP. (remember that one). So its on par to lie for the PTP. 

Otherwise if valid point (no lies) then I will condemn the junta for this. Clear enough for you.

18 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Does the term "private letter" have any meaning in this country?

I would say a mass mailing to member of a political party (would probably be on name) is different then a private letter. But kinda tricky as it is addressed to a person. 

36 minutes ago, robblok said:

Umh, so you see nothing wrong in the army intercepting private correspondance and then trying the letter writers in military courts because they don't like the opinuons expressed in those letters?

OK!

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

The UHC is not mentioned in the draft. It does have a general section on ensuring availability of efficient public health service. Really does open up speculation on the status of the UHC scheme. Correct me if I am wrong.   

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

@MZurf

Your probably an American or something like that. Lying to get something voted out is just not done and is punishable here. I agree with that. If they have valid points I have no problem with that. However really lying then I feel they deserve what they get.

I havent read the letter and I can't compare them to the constitution so I can't really say if its a lie or not but I am stating here IF then they deserve what they get. But of course you got the Mr of white lies Kittiriat famous in the PTP. (remember that one). So its on par to lie for the PTP. 

Otherwise if valid point (no lies) then I will condemn the junta for this. Clear enough for you.

There's no transparency in this prosecution, that's clear enough for me.  Read the full article.  Held on an army base without access to a lawyer, no disclosure of what was in the letter.  Does this sort of process deserve the benefit of the doubt?  Or should we look at the bigger picture of what's going on with what scraps of information we're allowed and connect the dots ourselves?  This sort of thing doesn't deserve the kind of benefit of the doubt you're giving it.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The UHC is not mentioned in the draft. It does have a general section on ensuring availability of efficient public health service. Really does open up speculation on the status of the UHC scheme. Correct me if I am wrong.   

Your not wrong.. i took it as an example.. i have no idea of what is in there (the letter). If there are CLEAR lies I am all for punishing them. If not I condemn it just like the rest of you. 

Edited by robblok

12 minutes ago, JAG said:

Umh, so you see nothing wrong in the army intercepting private correspondance and then trying the letter writers in military courts because they don't like the opinuons expressed in those letters?

OK!

Lies are different from opinion, and i agree intercepting letters is a sliding scale, though a mass mailing to all member of a political party is hardly private is it. 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your not wrong.. i took it as an example.. i have no idea of what is in there (the letter). If there are CLEAR lies I am all for punishing them. If not I condemn it just like the rest of you. 

I can appreciate your caveots and give a like.

11 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I can appreciate your caveots and give a like.

Junta can lie just as well as the politicians no need to trust them on face value. Plus there is a lot of grey area between a lie an an opinion, i am only talking about outright lies. Personally I have no real opinion about the new constitution. Some parts i like like that there is no statute of limitation for corruption by politicians and heavier punishments. Other parts I like less (army appointed senators ) I am all for combating corruption and making it less profitable to be a politician (less  ways to commit graft). Because in my opinion as long as its a get rich fast job there will always be conflict in this country. Because those in power will do anything to stay and those who are not will do anything to get in power. 

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Junta can lie just as well as the politicians no need to trust them on face value. Plus there is a lot of grey area between a lie an an opinion, i am only talking about outright lies. Personally I have no real opinion about the new constitution. Some parts i like like that there is no statute of limitation for corruption by politicians and heavier punishments. Other parts I like less (army appointed senators ) I am all for combating corruption and making it less profitable to be a politician (less  ways to commit graft). Because in my opinion as long as its a get rich fast job there will always be conflict in this country. Because those in power will do anything to stay and those who are not will do anything to get in power. 

What do you think about the we can't be held accountable for anything,ever,part of the new charter?

1 hour ago, robblok said:

And of course, we will learn the "truth" when a full report of the military court hearing is published! Time to take off the blinkers and face the reality of how Thailand is being transformed into something far removed from the true meaning of its name.

The current government is doing a great job. I see new corruption charges and investigations everyday. Compare that to the

Red Shirt government who investigated nothing, but were making billions on the corrupt rice scheme, on the backs of the

poor farmers and the Thai People. Go General!

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Lies are different from opinion, and i agree intercepting letters is a sliding scale, though a mass mailing to all member of a political party is hardly private is it. 

In a political debateone side uvariably regards the other as deceitful, in this case one side has taken upon itaelf to detain, try and no doubt punish the other side ( in what amount to their private courts) for expressing views they disliike.

A mailing from a political organisation to its members, whatever the scale, is private.

21 minutes ago, JAG said:

In a political debateone side uvariably regards the other as deceitful, in this case one side has taken upon itaelf to detain, try and no doubt punish the other side ( in what amount to their private courts) for expressing views they disliike.

A mailing from a political organisation to its members, whatever the scale, is private.

Private stops when laws are being broken or people are investigated,, or do you think the FBI and others never intercept mail ?

In this country its illegal to lie about the new draft.

If i send drugs through the mail i can't claim its private mail they can't intercept can I ?

2 hours ago, robblok said:

@MZurf

"Your probably an American or something like that."

And what exactly is that supposed to mean?

"Lying to get something voted out is just not done and is punishable here. I agree with that. If they have valid points I have no problem with that. However really lying then I feel they deserve what they get.

I havent read the letter and I can't compare them to the constitution so I can't really say if its a lie or not but I am stating here IF then they deserve what they get. But of course you got the Mr of white lies Kittiriat famous in the PTP. (remember that one). So its on par to lie for the PTP."

When private mail is opened and the content examined for "lies" then Thailand has taken another step in the wrong direction, irrespective of any "But, but, but...Thaksin!" arguments.

Apparently saying "Ja" is enough to get you in trouble:bah:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-politics-idUSKCN10C230

Edited by MZurf

7 hours ago, tbthailand said:

when will this military "government" be called in to answer for its abuses?

Never, ....  :coffee1:

These must be really dangerous fellows when looking at the SWAT team above. The Junta has already enshrined in "law" their get out of jail free card. God only if he exists will be their final judge. 

2 minutes ago, MZurf said:

"Your probably an American or something like that."

And what exactly is that supposed to mean?

"Lying to get something voted out is just not done and is punishable here. I agree with that. If they have valid points I have no problem with that. However really lying then I feel they deserve what they get.

I havent read the letter and I can't compare them to the constitution so I can't really say if its a lie or not but I am stating here IF then they deserve what they get. But of course you got the Mr of white lies Kittiriat famous in the PTP. (remember that one). So its on par to lie for the PTP."

When private mail is opened and the content examined for "lies" then Thailand has taken another step in the wrong direction, irrespective of any "But, but, but...Thaksin!" arguments.

Apparently saying "Ja" is enough to get you in trouble:bah:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-politics-idUSKCN10C230

Americans seem to think you can say everything because freedom of speech, that was what i mean. In other countries they understand that freedom of speech has its limitations. (different idea)

When laws are broken the concept of private mail goes away, if I send drugs through the mail can I claim that its private and they should not have opened it ? Do you think police in other parts of the world never check mail ?

And the example you quote is indeed a disgrace we can agree upon that. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Americans seem to think you can say everything because freedom of speech, that was what i mean. In other countries they understand that freedom of speech has its limitations. (different idea)

When laws are broken the concept of private mail goes away, if I send drugs through the mail can I claim that its private and they should not have opened it ? Do you think police in other parts of the world never check mail ?

And the example you quote is indeed a disgrace we can agree upon that. 

"Americans seem to think you can say everything because freedom of speech, that was what i mean. In other countries they understand that freedom of speech has its limitations. (different idea)"

I think the vast majority of Americans full well understand the limitations of free speech. The US has the same limitations on what you can and cannot say as most other democratic countries.

"When laws are broken the concept of private mail goes away, if I send drugs through the mail can I claim that its private and they should not have opened it ? Do you think police in other parts of the world never check mail ?

Of course they check mail for drugs etc, but NOT for personal opinions, false or true.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

@MZurf

And your'e probably a white, South African, unreformed Boer judging by your post content.

There are no civilised countries where a personal interpretation of a political document expressed in a private letter, even if inaccurate or biased, will get you arrested. Better to call out these politicians and debate openly in a public forum than use the tools of state repression which were the hallmarks of apartheid South Africa as well as other infamous regimes.