Visa for Mother

Hey TV folks,

My Mother's coming from the US to stay with my wife & I long term. Trying to figure out what kind of visa to get her. The scenario I'm looking at now is bring her in on a tourist visa with a wasted round trip ticket. Her income is shy of the required amount so, set up a bank account upon arrival and after the 2 or 3 month requirement of 800,000 baht (-her income) in there, and apply for the O-A.

Appreciate any better suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

If she has a tourist visa she does not need a return or onward ticket unless the embassy or consulate require it to get the visa. Or is she actually going to enter without a visa and get a  30 day visa exempt entry.

It would be better if she could get a single entry non-o visa. Where is she living now and I might be able to help with where she could get one. She could get it based upon being 50 or over or as being your mother if you are currently here on an extension of stay.

What is your status here? Are you on extension of stay and if yes what kind? There might be other options for her to get an extension.

You mother can only apply for a OA visa in her home country. She can apply for a year extension based upon retirement at an immigration office here.

If she enters on a tourist visa she could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (class O)entry as soon as she has 800k baht in the bank or up to the last 15 days of the 60 day entry from the visa. The money only has to be in the bank on the date of application.

Then when she has the money in bank for 60 days she could apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement.

Could I get a Non Imm O for her?

Purpose of Visit: Applicants who wish to stay with family in Thailand (Thai Family)
Applicants who wish for volunteering work with the state enterprises or social welfare organizations in Thailand  (Volunteering)

Documents Required for Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (Thai Family):
1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. One visa application form completely filled out (black and blue ink only) (Download)
Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
3. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation , showing going from US to Thailand  (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
4. A copy of recent bank statement  ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly) , In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.

5.For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa with employment verification letter ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**)
6. If you are a former Thai citizen, proof of Thai citizen such as Thai passport or Thai identification card
7. If you want to visit as a spouse or family member (spouse, son or daughter), proof of relationship such as a photocopy of marriage license or birth certificate with a proof that your spouse or family member is a Thai citizen such as as a photocopy of Thai passport or Thai identification card

My Thai wife has my last name but my Mother doesn't (divorced/remarried). This would be a great option if possible!

Thanks!

If you are on extension of stay she can get a non-o visa to visit you. She would just need your birth certificate and a copy of your passport photo page and extension stamp. Since you are married to a Thai she could also include a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of your wife's ID card with the application.

I am assuming your are from the states since you appear to be quoting info from the DC embassy website or one of the official consulates.

If your mother is in the states she could get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over from one of the honorary consulates or one for visiting family. List of honorary consulates is here: http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

Thanks Ubonjoe,

Yes, we're from the States. We're flying to Thailand at the same time. I've been Stateside for 6 months and will be returning on an O-A. Is her O still feasible under these conditions?

4 minutes ago, FLHR said:

Thanks Ubonjoe,

Yes, we're from the States. We're flying to Thailand at the same time. I've been Stateside for 6 months and will be returning on an O-A. Is her O still feasible under these conditions?

You would have to ask the embassy or official consulate where you are apply for the OA visa about getting her a single entry non-o visa for being a member of your family.

If not she could certainly get one from one of the honorary consulates for being 50 or over. The Portland consulate will accept mail in applications.

If a foreigner wants to apply for a visa O you should secure a copy of documents proving the family relationship like birth certification. You also must secure a copy of household certificate and a copy of id card of the person having Thai nationality which means your mother cannot apply for it. Why not stick to tourist visa alone? 

6 minutes ago, Baanguru said:

If a foreigner wants to apply for a visa O you should secure a copy of documents proving the family relationship like birth certification. You also must secure a copy of household certificate and a copy of id card of the person having Thai nationality which means your mother cannot apply for it. Why not stick to tourist visa alone? 

Because a Non imm O Visa will save a lot of time and money.

Especially as she probably qualifies for one.