new bike, what to buy?

steve2112

i'm looking for a new bike. i like my PCX but it's a bit boring, i was thinking about something more like a real bike but here's my requirements.

less than, or at least close to 100k baht

sit upright, so a comfortable cruiser/tourer style

clutch or auto, don't care

looks cool

so the only thing i've seen online so far is a yamaha M-SLAZ

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/automotive/product.php/type/product.php/type/manual/title/Yamaha-M-SLAZ-2015

i'll go check it out tomorrow as its pissing down with rain today here in phuket

is there anything else i should be looking at and does anyone have an opinion about that yamaha?

BTW, i'm fairly tall, 180cm, so not really into the honda MSX

thx

Edited by steve2112

For 100k and for a new bike you have little choice. The yamaha Mslaz is a bit cramped to sit on at 174cm tall, The R15 is a nice bike and personally out the two Id go for that and its about 6 or 7k cheaper but its not a sit up job. You could check out the Stallions range too, I think their 400 is not far over a 100k. As for secondhand, for 100k you could get a 1.5/2 year old CB 300F, Z250 or a Benelli 300TNT (I have the latter as is a nice ride, thread here on TV). MT03 and Z300 both nice bikes but haven't seen them that low in price secondhand ...maybe 120k if yer lucky.

Gl with your searches

4 minutes ago, KhruGin said:

For 100k and for a new bike you have little choice. The yamaha Mslaz is a bit cramped to sit on at 174cm tall, The R15 is a nice bike and personally out the two Id go for that and its about 6 or 7k cheaper but its not a sit up job. You could check out the Stallions range too, I think their 400 is not far over a 100k. As for secondhand, for 100k you could get a 1.5/2 year old CB 300F, Z250 or a Benelli 300TNT (I have the latter as is a nice ride, thread here on TV). MT03 and Z300 both nice bikes but haven't seen them that low in price secondhand ...maybe 120k if yer lucky.

Gl with your searches

maybe a Honda CRF250 secondhand?

45 minutes ago, KhruGin said:

F As for secondhand, for 100k you could get a 1.5/2 year old CB 300F, Z250 or a Benelli 300TNT (I have the latter as is a nice ride, thread here on TV).

hi, as it turns out i just found this

Benelli 300

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/5665282041.html

looks almost new for 95k so i'll go check it out

i read a few reviews and i'm interested in the Kawa Z250SL new for 120k or used Benelli 300TNT with 3000km for 95000 baht, probably get him down to 90000

the reviews on both look equally good, any thoughts from you local experts?

22 minutes ago, BBJ said:

Look at a second hand Kawasaki D-Tracker

seat looks too high for my missus

i just found out the benelli 250 is only 95k new. i'll go check that out too

i love the look of the yam R15, i used to own an R1 which was an awesome bike but that was 15 years ago and i really don't feel like leaning forward now. but maybe with my height on a small bike like that i wouldn't need to.

Edited by steve2112

14 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

i just found out the benelli 250 is only 95k new. i'll go check that out too

Doh ! Forgot that one. Yep I think 94k at a local shop in town, 3 colours to choose from but a new one of these or that Red 300TNT with bugger all kms on it for the same price I'd go for the 300. I went for a new 300 and to be honest the 250 just doesn't look quite right to me and the 300 really does look the job ...but then its all a personal thing eh. Also check out the "Benelli TNT300s" thread, have put some info on there and Garyzx6r too as we both own one ...pages 13 and 14.

As for the kwakkers I was thinking of the twin and have seen for under 100k secondhand (think there are/were about 135k new), but if a 250sl floats yer boat then at 120k push the cash a little more ...they do look fine eh.

thanks, i was thinking the Benelli 300TNT does look a lot nicer from the pics than the 250 and i really like the idea of a twin, more like a real bike than a toy. i expect it feels a lot smoother too. 

anyhow, if it stops raining for an hour tomorrow i'll go check out the yamahas and the new benelli 250 and the used 300. see what floats my boat. the z250 at 120k is just getting a bit out of my price range. 

i just noticed the seat is lower on the 300 which i think i prefer

http://www.carandbike.com/compare-bikes/dsk-benelli-tnt-25-1253-vs-dsk-benelli-tnt-300-1278-vs-kawasaki-z250-1098

BTW, i did read that 300TNT thread, good info on there. i've never even heard of Benelli before today but reading that thread and several reviews from india, sounds like a great bike. and we have a dealer here in phuket for service too.

Edited by steve2112

i've narrowed it down to the benelli 300 almost new for 95000 (expect i could get 90000) and the yamaha m-slaz. the benelli looks and drives great, just like a real bike, the yam looks pretty good and drives ok, well like a scooter with a clutch i guess, also 95000. both feel very comfortable, even the yam actually.

on paper the benelli is twice the bike for the same money but the running costs will be higher on the benelli (gas, service, insurance). and i've always liked yamaha, had many bikes, but benelli is a total unknown in the long run.

i guess my concern is what happens when i get up to 50000km or so, is the benelli going to be a money hole.

so its head vs. heart i guess. i'll enjoy the benelli more but the bike's no1 job is transportation.

ah, what to do?

The Yamaha is a great bike , but as you say , the Benelli is much more so , with its Italian style and flair. At such a good price , you could soon sell it next year without loosing out , if you dont like it.  You will like it .:D

12 minutes ago, Baguette said:

If I were you, i would purchase a bicycle..one of those light weight magnesium alloy for around 100k. Good for the health too.

spend 100k on a bicycle that doesn't even have an engine, now that is nuts.

On 8/4/2016 at 6:15 AM, br12stol said:

I just bought a Yamaha MT 03 , 4 months old 900km for 130k, hard to beat value for a proper bike

On 8/4/2016 at 6:15 AM, br12stol said:

I just bought a Yamaha MT 03 , 4 months old 900km for 130k, hard to beat value for a proper bike

13680955_10154440824232899_7208528607432303779_n.jpg

wow nice bike. Looks good in the home

Any body tried the Thai made bike STALLION, seen a 400cc big bore, twin port. Retro style one in black or white, being a Brit and having had old Brit bikes, looks a better ride position than most of the semi sports type.

image.jpeg

Edited by Davehappen

3 hours ago, phiphy said:

Kaw d tracker 150 bit gut less but 250 ok bit over your price honda cbf motord is good if your tall to big for me

Good luck  let us know what you get 

Well I think OP got the Bennili 300 so he is already sorted.

Saw a Kawa EN6 for sale on FB expat bikers forum at 125k baht, 30k km and year 2013, a steal but it's gone already.

The Stallions 400cc looks very cool if you are into riding at a slow pace with heaps of attitude.

KTM duke 390 is another cool little thing, app 40hp from the 1 cyl engine, so should be fun.

I would likely go for a Yamaha MT07 if I was to buy a fairly cheap bike today (okay we are way over the budget now), should be extremely fun to ride, super light and bike of the year in MCN, 5 stars.

Thankfully the choices are much much bigger now compared to what we could get 4-5 years ago.

I'm openly biased against Chinese bikes. And over time, perhaps you can repay some 30,000 THB put on a credit card That MT-03 would give me peace of mind for years to come. And in a few years, you would "save" the difference on depreciation. The Benelli's will be dreadful. :facepalm: