Rice export to rise to 9.5 million tons throughout this year: Rice Exporters Association

webfact

Rice export to rise to 9.5 million tons throughout this year: Rice Exporters Association

BANGKOK, 4 August 2016 (NNT) - Thailand has become the world's largest rice exporter again with almost five million tons exported in the first half of this year.

However, the private rice exporters have warned of stiffer competition in the second half of year. 

Rice Exporters Association of Thailand President Charoen Laothammatas said that Thailand’s rice export in the first six months of 2016 marked a 12 percent increase from the same period last year. 

Thailand has already exported nearly five million tons of rice in the first half of the year and was expected to deliver a total of 9.5 million tons throughout this year, he said. 

He disclosed that Thai rice export in the global market was higher in volume than that of India and Vietnam which exported 4.7 million tons and 2.6 million tons respectively. 

The association head expressed concerns over possibilities of a decline in Thai rice export in the second half of this year due in part to heavy rainfalls. 

Besides, the Thai rice has encountered fiercer rivalry from India, Pakistan and Vietnam than in previous years, he said. 

The rising baht would make the Thai rice prices more expensive than the competitors, especially Vietnam and India, he added. 

Another factor which would adversely affect the Thai rice export included a reduction in purchase volume for some customer countries, he said. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-04

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

I wonder if these numbers include exports of stockpile riced? Anybody know?

They are always behind the 8 ball. They are exporting rice produced in 2014 or 2015 still. I think it also includes the rice that goes bad and is sold to be used in animal feed. Not for human consumption( although not 100 % sure).

1 hour ago, bark said:

They are always behind the 8 ball. They are exporting rice produced in 2014 or 2015 still. I think it also includes the rice that goes bad and is sold to be used in animal feed. Not for human consumption( although not 100 % sure).

Does it really matter when the rice was harvested?

They will get a price for it anyway, plus it is clearing out the older stock in the warehouses. This in turn means less warehousing will be needed, less rent to pay and if the warehouse owners that built during the PTP reign have to close down and go bust, that won't be a bad thing either.

2 hours ago, mike324 said:

The article I read in this mornings Business section reported the amount of the stockpiled rice that was sold as well...along with the important consideration that simply dumping such vast quantities of that Yingluck rice would drive down rice prices and ultimately harm Thailand farmers.

In 2015 India claimed world's No. 1 rice exporter with 10+ tons. Prayut was in part very critical of Yingluck's rice pledge strategy to decrease rice exports to drice up prices, thereby damaging the reputation of the nation by losing its No. 1 rice export status. Now ironically Prayut's strategy is to limit rice exports for 2016 at 9.5 million tons that will mean that India will again be the No. 1 rice exporter if it matches its 2015 export volume. 

3 hours ago, mike324 said:

Their numbers are never single digits always double. 12% increase hmm. As we are in a drought situation that would eliminate new rice. Would that then be "stored" rice or rotten rice or cattle feed rice? Sorry I keep forgetting I am not Thai and have the bad habit of questioning government figures. A failing of mine. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Their numbers are never single digits always double. 12% increase hmm. As we are in a drought situation that would eliminate new rice. Would that then be "stored" rice or rotten rice or cattle feed rice? Sorry I keep forgetting I am not Thai and have the bad habit of questioning government figures. A failing of mine. 

Actually the news article in todays Business section were all low single digit forecasts.

What do you base your information on?

Surely, there is sufficient reserves of good-quality rice available in the stock piles to make up for any shortfalls (due to heavy rain). 

They're coming off the back of a serious drought, and yet they are boasting of being the No. 1 exporter again. Where is all this rice coming from? 

1 minute ago, waldroj said:

Surely, there is sufficient reserves of good-quality rice available in the stock piles to make up for any shortfalls (due to heavy rain). 

They're coming off the back of a serious drought, and yet they are boasting of being the No. 1 exporter again. Where is all this rice coming from? 

Where is it coming from?

Don't get out into the countryside much, eh?

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 3:21 PM, waldroj said:

I know that in my area the larger famers who could afford it didn't sell last years Rice Harvest yet as the prices were too low then. With the higher prices I recently sold about half of mine.

Rice Prices should be the highest this month as the Rice Farmers who put away Rice for themselves to eat last year is about gone now, and they will need to buy from the market now. So the demand this month will come mostly from within Thailand.