Alleged British Pedo Appeals Conviction

geovalin

The Supreme Court yesterday heard the appeal of an alleged British pedophile, who was sentenced by the lower courts to eight years in prison over allegations of sexual abuse with four Cambodian girls aged between seven and 11 and for having sex with a minor in Phnom Penh in 2014. Kim Sothavy, the presiding judge at the Supreme Court, said 57-year-old Michael Glyn Jones, an English teacher, was charged with “sexual intercourse with a minor under 15 years and indecent acts against a minor under 15 years” under articles 34 and 43 of the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation.  

He added that Mr. Jones had been arrested by municipal anti-human trafficking police on June 24, 2014, in Chamkarmon district’s Olympic commune. He was arrested based on the complaint of four girls aged from seven to 11 with legal support from anti-pedophile NGO APLE Cambodia.   Judge Sothavy said Mr. Jones was convicted by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on  April 20, 2015, and sentenced to eight years in prison, fined four million riel (about $1,000) and ordered to pay 16 million riel (about $4,000) in compensation to the victims. The court also ordered his expulsion from Cambodia after completing the terms of his sentence.

Unhappy with the decision, Mr. Jones appealed his case and on September 17, 2015, his conviction was upheld by the Appeal Court, but his sentence was reduced from eight to five years. Still unsatisfied, Mr. Jones took his case to the Supreme Court on December 4, 2015. San Sony, the defense lawyer for four of Mr. Jones alleged victims, said that in June 2014, Mr. Jones invited the four young Cambodian girls to eat food with him and gave them $1 to $5 each time they allowed him to touch their breasts and genitals. In addition, he also brought an 11-year-old girl to eat food with him at Sorya Mall and while at the cinema, he touched her breasts and genitals. After that, he brought her to his rental house and had sex with her.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/28042/alleged-british-pedo-appeals-conviction/

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

How can he be an 'alleged' pedo if he was found guilty and sentenced by a court?

Although I am by no means defending a stinking pedo and if proven guilty think they should be burned alive, I do wonder how many of these foreigners are set up by the children`s parents and the police for the extortion of a lot of money? Something very easy to do I guess, especially if the foreigners are associated with children either by teaching or within the communities where they live.

Only saying that`s all, that it is possible.

47 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Although I am by no means defending a stinking pedo and if proven guilty think they should be burned alive, I do wonder how many of these foreigners are set up by the children`s parents and the police for the extortion of a lot of money? Something very easy to do I guess, especially if the foreigners are associated with children either by teaching or within the communities where they live.

Only saying that`s all, that it is possible.

Only saying that`s all, that it is possible. -----yes cyber possible and in some cases probable.

It would seem in this case, that this person is admitting touching children---however the payment system 16 million or so is obviously a cause for distortion in many cases---can you imagine this situation.... garment workers had been earning $100 this year.  $2 a week--7 day week, just over 28 cents (not 1 baht) a day. The driving force behind many of the prosecutions has been APLE, who is widely known to ask for their cost out of this money. On a piece of news that made headlines everywhere except Thai Visa was that the head of APLE it seems is himself a pedo. Maybe it didn't make the news because he is not a farang. After taking many of the children into care he would then abuse them---- he has been sentenced--but not like the farangs.....after years of doing this even the newspaper headlines ran with the Headline----

Sex Offender Given Light Sentence after Years of Abuse

3 years...in  which he will probably serve 1.......no wonder he left the court with a very large smile on his face--- http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/21240/sex-offender-given-light-sentence-after-years-of-abuse/

I suppose he will soon be out there hunting down all the Farang Pedos & taking a small cut of the money awarded.

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Only saying that`s all, that it is possible. -----yes cyber possible and in some cases probable.

It would seem in this case, that this person is admitting touching children---however the payment system 16 million or so is obviously a cause for distortion in many cases---can you imagine this situation.... garment workers had been earning $100 this year.  $2 a week--7 day week, just over 28 cents (not 1 baht) a day. The driving force behind many of the prosecutions has been APLE, who is widely known to ask for their cost out of this money. On a piece of news that made headlines everywhere except Thai Visa was that the head of APLE it seems is himself a pedo. Maybe it didn't make the news because he is not a farang. After taking many of the children into care he would then abuse them---- he has been sentenced--but not like the farangs.....after years of doing this even the newspaper headlines ran with the Headline----

3 years...in  which he will probably serve 1.......no wonder he left the court with a very large smile on his face--- http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/21240/sex-offender-given-light-sentence-after-years-of-abuse/

I suppose he will soon be out there hunting down all the Farang Pedos & taking a small cut of the money awarded.

This reminds of the time 2 or 3 years back in Chiang Mai I think? A German expat aged in his 90s was accused of sexually abusing children and having indecent images of children on his computer. The poor man was still suffering from the affects of a stroke and was no where close to knowing how to download images onto his computer at his age and in his poor state of frail health. He had to be carried to court, was found guilty and died in prison less than a year later.

No one believed that man was guilty and thought it was a well organised set up of a vulnerable very old Farlang. Maybe some of you will remember the case?

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:54 PM, oxo1947 said:

I agree with what people are saying here. I to have no sympathy for a child sex offender. All that I am looking at is that his conviction seems to be based solely on the testimony of an 11 year old girl.

Is her say so alone considered enough evidence to send a man to prison for 8 years? Especially if there is some reward money involved for her and her family if he is convicted? Personally I think they need and should seek more than that. For the ones that think that children don't lie, then that is solely because they never had any kids before.