One dead, several hurt in central London knife attack

webfact

One dead, several hurt in central London knife attack

LONDON: -- A woman has died and five others were injured in a knife attack in Russell Square, central London.

Police and ambulance crews were called at 22:33 BST on Wednesday to reports of a man in possession of a knife and injuring people.

Up to six injured people were found at the scene; one woman was pronounced dead a short time later.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36972126

-- BBC 2016-08-04

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As sad as it is, it was only matter of time before it happened in the UK. If it was terror related 

Tazered and arrested, another waste of money on keeping him and taking him to court.  I am sure spending 20 pence on an alternative means would be far better

May be he will blame Brexit!

Edited by Caps

London police say knife attack leaves 1 dead, 5 hurt 

LONDON (AP) — London police say a woman has died and five others were injured in a knife attack in a central part of the city.

A statement from the London Metropolitan Police early Thursday said the attack happened late Wednesday in Russell Square, which is near to the British Museum.

It said six people were treated at the scene, and that the woman later died. The condition of the others was not immediately known.

The statement said one man was arrested, and that a police officer had used a Taser stun gun.

Police said that terrorism was one possible motive behind the attack.

No other information was immediately available.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-04

9 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Why on God's little Green Earth are our 'Overseers' deathly afraid to call a spade a spade?  :facepalm:

It is called political correctness ..................... a plague on our existence.

One dead and five injured in knife attack in central London

606x341_340436.jpg

LONDON: -- Police and forensic teams have cordoned off an area in central London after a woman was killed in a knife attack and five others injured.

The incident happened in Russell Square at around 10.30 pm local time on Wednesday evening.

The woman was treated at the scene, but later died.

A 19 year old man was tasered and is now in police custody.

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner , Mark Rowley, said officers were following several lines of inquiry.

“Early indications suggest that mental health is a significant factor in this case, and that is one major line of inquiry. But of course at this stage we should keep an open mind regarding motive, and consequently terrorism as a motivation remains but one line of inquiry for us to explore,” he said.

The attack happened on the same day it was announced that more armed police would be deployed on the streets of London.

Six hundred extra firearms officers are being trained with the first now operationally ready.

Speaking before the attack in Russell Square, the head of London’s Metropolitan police, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe , said that following recent attacks in Europe he wanted the British public to feel protected.

“Anyone who’s been following events in Europe over the past few weeks will understand why we want to show our determination to protect the public. We are deadly serious about the protection that we are offering the people of London and we will never be complacent,” he said.

-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-04

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

I guess there is no further need to post things like his name or where he is from then.

I wonder if his anme were something like James Butler from Essex that they would have posted it. (Sorry to the Brits here, I don't know what a generic local name would be for you guys).

If the attacker shouted 'Allah Akbar', I very much doubt it was Mr Butler.

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

CNN states mental health issues, so that's it then.

I dunno, the mental health of these 'refugees' appears to be becoming an issue http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/23/attackers-who-attempted-to-kidnap-raf-serviceman-part-of-larger/

On a side note, I today received a package from a friend in the UK in which he'd stuffed a couple of momentos from 'home', one of which was a local council map of summer events with the most prominent being 'celebrate refugee week'. Ah the pathos :(

I guess there is no further need to post things like his name or where he is from then.

I wonder if his anme were something like James Butler from Essex that they would have posted it. (Sorry to the Brits here, I don't know what a generic local name would be for you guys).

In 2014 and 2015 the most popular boys name for new born babies ( male ) was Muhammad so I guess it will soon pass for our generic name. There will of course be regional differences so look out for Muhammad Jones , Muhammad McTavish and Muhammed Smith. in the future.

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

In 2014 and 2015 the most popular boys name for new born babies ( male ) was Muhammad so I guess it will soon pass for our generic name. There will of course be regional differences so look out for Muhammad Jones , Muhammad McTavish and Muhammed Smith. in the future.

I am glad I am at the end of my years and not the beginning.

I just watched the latest update to the london stabbing spree on CNN.

Nine hours have now passed since the attack yet the attackers name nor any of his personal history has been released...only that it is someone with mentsl health issues.

This is all we can expect from news sources in the PC future?

5 hours ago, Caps said:

As sad as it is, it was only matter of time before it happened in the UK. If it was terror related 

Tazered and arrested, another waste of money on keeping him and taking him to court.  I am sure spending 20 pence on an alternative means would be far better

May be he will blame Brexit!

It has been over half a century since any one was executed in the UK, and even then if mentally unstable were speared the death sentence, the UK is a civilised country, please let it stay that way...

Nine hours have now passed since the attack yet the attackers name nor any of his personal history has been released...only that it is someone with mentsl health issues.

Maybe the police do not know much at this time... I am sure by the end of today we will know.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Can you provide a reference for that? According to this article, the ONS reported that in 2014 and 2015 the most popular boys' name was Oliver - not the most Islamic of monikers. In fact, Muhammad doesn't even rank in the top 10, but that doesn't feed the xenophobes' frenzy, does it?

13 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Can you provide a reference for that? According to this article, the ONS reported that in 2014 and 2015 the most popular boys' name was Oliver - not the most Islamic of monikers. In fact, Muhammad doesn't even rank in the top 10, but that doesn't feed the xenophobes' frenzy, does it?

That data is for 'Registered names' in England and Wales.  Unregistered may look different.  Global will be very different.

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

I doubt that the news media would have his name unless it was given by someone at the scene.   Officially, it would be the police who would release the name.  

6 minutes ago, Scott said:

I doubt that the news media would have his name unless it was given by someone at the scene.   Officially, it would be the police who would release the name.  

Scott.

Absolutely, unless someone nearby has knowledge of the person then the name is released by the police as part of their investigation.

But why don't news reporters ask such basic questions from the Police Spokesperson when the current limited detsils were released? Because it is newsworthy IMO.

And why doesn't the news reporter or anchor apply some heat on the police by reporting, "Our efforts to learn the identity of the attacker have been stonewalled by the Police"? 

Ofcourse, many of us remember a time when investigating and hard questions that forced accountability was part of news reporting. 

But I think I am getting cranky and I need a nap.  Have a good one.

Edited by ClutchClark