Need a new TV for around 30k baht

guzzi850m2

Our 51" Samsung plasma TV has died, less than 3 years old. Just had 2 tech from Samsung at the house and they offered 2 repair options;

1: New power supply unit; 5700 baht but the vertical stripes on the left side will still be there. Been there for about 6-8 month now.

2: Change motherboard in order to get rid of the stripes; 12300 baht and they will give the power supply unit for free, hmm.

Considered we paid 25k baht for the TV, I said no thanks, I rather go looking for a new NON plasma TV, using less power and better viewing in daylight.

I am willing to spend app 30K baht, give or take and would prefer around size 55".

Despite above bad experiences with Samsung I am willing to buy another Sammy, the service is quite good and Sam TV's are generally considered good.

I am considering the 55" series 6 Sammy (J6200) at 29k baht, full HD off-course. A 3 year extended warranty will add 1800 baht on top. It is getting mixed reviews on-line, but mostly good, considered the price and it's 120HZ, so good for fast moving sport/games.  

When goggling around if 4k TV's are worth getting or not, I am getting mixed results, some write that unless you sits very very close to the TV, you wont notice the difference and I doubt True will air 4k in the next 5 years. 

Which TV would you guys buy if you had app 30K baht to burn?

Trying to get rid of the Sammy today at a prawn shop but when we told him it's a plasma, he was not interested. Well we will check more places.

Was in Powerbuy today and got interested in a TCL 55Q7700 4k TV for just under 28k baht, very slim and not curved (I don't like that). 3 years warranty without paying extra. They are the 3rd most sold TV brand in Thailand and uses Sony panels. Picture is awesome in the shop but they off-course play some 4k content on it, soo. 1 USB3.0 & 1 USB2.0, 3 HDMI ports, Android 5.1.1, not bad at all.

There is another TV topic and people seems happy enough with the TCL brand and according to one poster, they are sold in the US under another name.

In this price/size range it seems almost difficult to find TVs that are NOT 4k :P

A mate told me that he sees an improvement even on HD/Full HD (maybe due to smart interpolation/enhancement?).

Curved is indeed a toy thing to me.

OLED panels from LG seem to break your budget.

I think you can't do much wrong with a SAMSUNG model that are widely available in Thailand.

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-televisions/samsung/?price=25000-35000

Netflix had a growing collection of 4k content. Then there is of course 4k on Youtube and a bunch of series in 4k to download.

I had a bad experience with Samsung TV which panel failed after 53 weeks.

Then bought a LG which has no problems even after 5 years. Now I bought a OLED LG. Great TV.

If I would be you I would check out the LG tvs. They are usually better priced than Samsung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the inputs.

I am pretty sure I gonna buy the TCL55, it seems quite good for the money and 3 year warranty is good too, Samsung only give 1 year on mid/budget range TV's.

4K? Well first I thought, never mind, but 4K is coming fast and as mentioned, Netflix and some YouTube clips have 4K content and then the torrent sites too now have 4K movies/series so if I buy a HD TV, I might regret it in 1-2 years time.

48 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And my lightly used LG 42" screen failed within 18 months - it seems more the luck of the draw than quality/brand these day,s as for how long things last. 

I agree with that 100%, I haven't been impressed with the lifespan of my Samsung 51" plasma TV but our old Sony 36" Bravia is over 8 years old and still going strong and been re-installed to it's former glory as living room TV until we get a new TV.

Then there is the service to consider; LG is quite bad, we had a problem with our washing machine and it was very hard to get them to our house. Our cleaning lady had same experience with her LG AC, 1500 baht just to show up.

Samsung seems much better, 375 baht to show up at our house for the defect TV and they quickly zoomed in on the problem, 2 days wait after we called.

Well I bought the TCL 55", got it for 26700 baht at Powerbuy, they did a 10% discount on all inventory today.

The shitty thing is that the only one in stock was bought by somebody else 30 min before us and we will first get it on Tuesday.

There are still a small amount of 2015 models which are being discounted at/more 50%; the new 2016 models are already in stock.

You can find a 55" Samsung or LG 4K for ~ 29,000; other similar deals available. Check on-line retailers; free delivery, COD, accept/reject, full warranty. not refurbed.

We bought a Samsung UA55J6200AK (not 4K) for 24,300 all in. Nice unit.

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

There are still a small amount of 2015 models which are being discounted at/more 50%; the new 2016 models are already in stock.

You can find a 55" Samsung or LG 4K for ~ 29,000; other similar deals available. Check on-line retailers; free delivery, COD, accept/reject, full warranty. not refurbed.

We bought a Samsung UA55J6200AK (not 4K) for 24,300 all in. Nice unit.

Yes we were looking at that one too, but you only get 1 year warranty and as mentioned no 4K, a 2015 model.

We will also get the TCL delivered and set-up for free on Tuesday, 3 years warranty as standard.

The TCL TV brand is much bigger than most know but I can't off-course say how good it is before we try it out for a while.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:44 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

I agree with that 100%, I haven't been impressed with the lifespan of my Samsung 51" plasma TV but our old Sony 36" Bravia is over 8 years old and still going strong and been re-installed to it's former glory as living room TV until we get a new TV.

Then there is the service to consider; LG is quite bad, we had a problem with our washing machine and it was very hard to get them to our house. Our cleaning lady had same experience with her LG AC, 1500 baht just to show up.

Samsung seems much better, 375 baht to show up at our house for the defect TV and they quickly zoomed in on the problem, 2 days wait after we called.

Amen to this one. LG service has been unspectacular for me. My experience was for a phone (I could easily take it to them) but their support was crap. I can imagine how bad it was for something requiring a home visit.

Not so long ago the only difference between a Samsung TV and a Goldstar tv was the name badge. Then Goldstar changed their name from Goldstar to LG, and both LG and Samsung climbed from cheap rubbish to mid market durable products. Twenty years ago Sony was the best mass produced television, but they are not so good now. Fourty years ago Amstrad was a quality make but the price and quality plummeted. Twenty years ago flat screens were mainly Plasma which ran very hot and lasted a very short amount of time. Ten years ago LCD took the main spot but picture quality was poorish. Now picture quality of LED TVS is very good but the longevity of picture quality is not good.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE ABOVE?

There are very intelligent people working in RD of Television manufacturers, and they have either already or will soon produce LED TVS which will reach the durability standards of the Old CRT TV's (6 hours a day for ten years). Maybe they will keep the technology a secret hoping to make more money by people having to change tvs every two years because the picture goes soft, but it is very difficult to keep technology a secret.

I hope by now you all understand I know/knew about TVS so here is my advice: Twenty years ago using only CRT technology the best bang for the buck was as follows:

Sony......best picture

Toshiba....best sound

Panasonic.... most durable

However things change, and really a buyer should go for any reasonable brand and finalize the choice by looking at picture. There is no signs (yet) that the 4 K tvs  will deteriorate quicker because of the higher picture quality, so considering on the 50 inch models 4k is only a few thousand baht more than the standard hd the investment would seem a good one. Concerning the idea that 4 k is a waste of money because very few broadcasts are done in 4K. This idea has not been thought out too well, or the suggester is not too clever. Provided LED TVS reach the ten year durability target then a least eight of the ten years you should be blessed with 4K transmissions for your 4 k tv.

Concerning guarantees..... slightly poor definition in a picture is difficult to prove and most manufacturers will not respect it as a under guarantee fault

Edited by beaufoy

I don't believe anyone has reached an agreement on a 4k standard. So any 4k TV you buy now probably won't work when the standard is achieved.

For 30k buy a 55" Samsung full HD and an android box to feed it.

Forget about SMART no standard again, and have you noticed all the 3D Tvs have disappeared, that didn't last long.

On 8/8/2016 at 8:59 PM, MissAndry said:

I don't believe anyone has reached an agreement on a 4k standard. So any 4k TV you buy now probably won't work when the standard is achieved.

For 30k buy a 55" Samsung full HD and an android box to feed it.

Forget about SMART no standard again, and have you noticed all the 3D Tvs have disappeared, that didn't last long.

Sorry either I am lacking knowledge or you are, please clarify why you believe the above to be true

On 8/5/2016 at 4:07 PM, 2fishin2 said:

If your video source is not 4k then purchasing a 4k tv is a complete waste of money. How many TV channels or video sources are 4k?......

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Sorry either I am lacking knowledge or you are, please clarify why you believe the above to be true

On 8/5/2016 at 0:18 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

Trying to get rid of the Sammy today at a prawn shop but when we told him it's a plasma, he was not interested. Well we will check more places.

Was in Powerbuy today and got interested in a TCL 55Q7700 4k TV for just under 28k baht, very slim and not curved (I don't like that). 3 years warranty without paying extra. They are the 3rd most sold TV brand in Thailand and uses Sony panels. Picture is awesome in the shop but they off-course play some 4k content on it, soo. 1 USB3.0 & 1 USB2.0, 3 HDMI ports, Android 5.1.1, not bad at all.

There is another TV topic and people seems happy enough with the TCL brand and according to one poster, they are sold in the US under another name.

Be careful about the claim that sony parts are in the tv ie how many sony parts are used, if you respect the sony brand then buy a sony

The three year guarantee could also be dodgy. If the picture goes soft and you call an engineer he will probably say the picture looks ok to him