‘Jump! Jump! Jump! Leave your bags behind!’ – Chaos inside crashed Dubai plane

webfact

‘Jump! Jump! Jump! Leave your bags behind!’ – Chaos inside crashed Dubai plane

606x341_340469.jpg

DUBAI: -- Footage shot from inside the cabin of crashed Emirates flight EK521 reveals the panic and chaos as passengers scramble to escape the blaze.

Oxygen masks hang from the ceiling of the dimly lit cabin where power had been cut and a frantic crush of people can be seen packing the aisles as they rush to the emergency exits.

One woman can be heard screaming: “Jump! Jump! Jump! Leave your bags behind!” and the footage shows a plane engine engulfed in flames before erupting in a plume of smoke and fire.

The crash was the result of a failed emergency landing, although an investigation continues into the exact cause.

Authorities cancelled all traffic into and out of Dubai International airport for several hours, although flights have now resumed.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-05

I'm no technician by far, but you would think that with today's technology they would be able to lock the doors on these overhead lockers automatically to avoid this situation, I've been on a few flights where passengers were getting their luggage out of lockers when the plane was still taxiing to the terminal, our Chinese friends seem to be the worst offenders that I have seen.

it is quite shocking to see these people trying to get their luggage - not only is it blocking other peoples escape but also trying to do an emergency exit carrying a case is only going to make it more difficult to get off and will slow others behind them down possibly proving fatal, anyone that went down that shoot with a bag or case in their hand should be prosecuted and them and their case locked in a cell together and never allowed to fly again ever.......this could all have ended very differently with only seconds to spare until the plane exploded in flames.....stupidity beyond belief  

I'm with you all the way on this one.

I lived in Hong Kong for many a long year and coming into land at the old Kai Tak airport it wasn't unusual to see the cabin crew race up the aisle to get a passenger back into a seat as we hadn't actually touched down.

The look on the passenger's face was usually total bewilderment as in  '  I'm only getting my bag  '.

4 hours ago, harada said:

I'm no technician by far, but you would think that with today's technology they would be able to lock the doors on these overhead lockers automatically to avoid this situation, I've been on a few flights where passengers were getting their luggage out of lockers when the plane was still taxiing to the terminal, our Chinese friends seem to be the worst offenders that I have seen.

would just slow things down as people try to break into the lockers to get passports and wallets. i have to admit i would have a hard time leaving my passport behind.

9 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

would just slow things down as people try to break into the lockers to get passports and wallets. i have to admit i would have a hard time leaving my passport behind.

Keep your passport in the pocket of your shirt or a small bag next to you. I never put everything in the lockers. Just in case. 

The only reason we know what happened is because someone made a video (which will undoubtedly play a part in the investigation and be taken up by air accident investigators).

There's a lot of comments here, and elsewhere, that the people who stopped to collect their bags are idiots, the truth is when we examine accidents and behaviour during accidents we often find people behaving in ways that, on the face of it seem absolutely 'stupid'.

Further investigation reveals not so much stupidity and a lot more factors relating to other 'human factors', and that intelligence has little to do with these responses. 

The air industry, more than any other, has spent decades investigating accidents, identifying root causes, and importantly investigating the human factors in accidents, the result is flying (which is inherently dangerous) is now one of the safest ways to travel. 

These improvements have been made by stepping past suggestions of stupidity or that race or national culture are the primary factors. I'll leave it to the usual suspects to continue that line of argument.  

33 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

We know that some people do this. They will always do this because half the people in the world are idiots - evolution has devised it that way. It's for the clever people to make sure that planes don't crash.

Only half? You're too kind :whistling:

13 minutes ago, GuestHouse said:

The only reason we know what happened is because someone made a video (which will undoubtedly play a part in the investigation and be taken up by air accident investigators).

There's a lot of comments here, and elsewhere, that the people who stopped to collect their bags are idiots, the truth is when we examine accidents and behaviour during accidents we often find people behaving in ways that, on the face of it seem absolutely 'stupid'.

Further investigation reveals not so much stupidity and a lot more factors relating to other 'human factors', and that intelligence has little to do with these responses. 

The air industry, more than any other, has spent decades investigating accidents, identifying root causes, and importantly investigating the human factors in accidents, the result is flying (which is inherently dangerous) is now one of the safest ways to travel. 

These improvements have been made by stepping past suggestions of stupidity or that race or national culture are the primary factors. I'll leave it to the usual suspects to continue that line of argument.  

I tend to agree with you.    I worked in an agency that was on the periphery of medical emergency services and had the occasion to accompany them to accidents. It is stunning how people will react.   I saw people that were barely conscious and in critical condition who didn't want to go to the hospital because their purse was in the car or they had lost a shoe.

In this case, the people probably weren't stunned or dazed.   

6 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I'm with you all the way on this one.

I lived in Hong Kong for many a long year and coming into land at the old Kai Tak airport it wasn't unusual to see the cabin crew race up the aisle to get a passenger back into a seat as we hadn't actually touched down.

The look on the passenger's face was usually total bewilderment as in  '  I'm only getting my bag  '.

It's a constant problem in the Middle East (that and "please keep mobile phones switched off until you are inside the terminal building" amidst a cacophony of calls and messages!).

Sometimes I wish the pilots would just jam the anchors on and send the silly sods flying.

16 minutes ago, Credo said:

I tend to agree with you.    I worked in an agency that was on the periphery of medical emergency services and had the occasion to accompany them to accidents. It is stunning how people will react.   I saw people that were barely conscious and in critical condition who didn't want to go to the hospital because their purse was in the car or they had lost a shoe.

In this case, the people probably weren't stunned or dazed.   

A very simple example of how people behave is crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing, it only takes one or two people to start crossing on a red light for others to follow. You can see the look on their faces as they struggle with the rational road safety training, the fact the light is red and the urge to follow the crowd across the road. We've all at sometime done this. We are not all stupid. 

6 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Carry it on your person along with your wallet.

Overhead lockers should automatically lock when the fasten seat belt sign is on.

6 hours ago, GuestHouse said:

Also worth noting that this was a flight from India to Dubai loaded with migrant workers and that carry on luggage likely contained basicly their lives.  Might also note that nobody died as result of people attempting to take their carry on luggage with them. In fact, attempting to take carry on luggage during an emergency evacuation as not resulted in a single death anywhere.  Pilot suicide has resulted in hundreds in multiple incidents.  

TH 

If I was on an aircraft that had a similar emergency to this one, anyone not following directions from the crew and trying to collect their cases would be very violently pushed either towards the emergency exit door or out of the way, that is not to say that I would not attempt to assist someone having difficulties which is entirely different. 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

If I was on an aircraft that had a similar emergency to this one, anyone not following directions from the crew and trying to collect their cases would be very violently pushed either towards the emergency exit door or out of the way, that is not to say that I would not attempt to assist someone having difficulties which is entirely different. 

I agree, I would also make every attempt to get someone moving in front of me that was holding up the evacuation. If we were standing there waiting to move, I would likely not say much unless they were attempting to remove a large suitcase from the bins.

The main issue seems to me is airlines are unwilling to be frank and tell passengers during the emergency briefings or during preparations for landing that passengers should put money and personal documents on their persons rather then leave them in the overheads. Who wants to be seen to talk about realistic preparations for an emergency, since they "almost" never happen and it's bad PR to do so.

It appears the OP article may be incorrect. This was not an emergency landing as the pilot had not declared such. Indications are it was an attempted go-around where the landing gear may have been retracted prematurely and the aircraft could not gain altitude for the go-around and settled back on the runway with landing gear at least partially retracted. Air temperature and lack of thrust due to automation may be the cause.

TH 

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:35 AM, harada said:

Not sure if this would help as people would just take longer trying to open these locked compartments. Maybe instructing all passengers before the fly to leave there bags in case of an evacuation might be more helpful. Or keeping all the Chinese Passengers at the back of the air-plain.  

What is more scary is having Oxygen Masks down and activated and blowing Oxygen everywhere when you have a fire.  But in  a smoke filled room I would sure be glad I had one.