Booze-free Weekend: Referendum vote brings nationwide alcohol ban

webfact

And this comment was sent in by Peter, aged 7.

So we are getting prrsonal now?

You know me well and you know that I am being sarcastic.

I don't give a shit about this rule as I have everything I need at home.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, petedk said:

I assume that means people selling or giving away alcohol.

What about drinking your own alcohol which was purchased days before?

hi petedk i am sure the ban refers to public places. doubt you can bring  your previous purchases to any public place for consumption.

5 hours ago, petedk said:

I guess you are not allowed to give a glass of wine or beer to your dinner guests either.

23 minutes ago, Glumpy said:

They'll be saying next that helmets must be worn when riding motorcycles....... and giving- way to those in the roundabout........and don't ride/drive against the flow of traffic......have licence / insurance and tax in date........NB ..none of these apply to 12 year old kids riding to school with two pillion passengers ...... 

Looks like you've just solved the problem.

Get a local 12 year old kid, riding a motorbike without a helmet, going wrong way down a one way Soi, to go & buy your grog.

Easy peasy.

53 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

wonder if any other countries have this silly policy about banning sales of grog on election days. i have only heard of it in thailand. dont see what good it does or how anyone makes any money off it so i dont really understand it.

Mexico

49 minutes ago, mcfish said:

I remember not so long ago all pubs and bars in Oz had to shut over a few days in Xmas. So yes it happens in 1st world as well.
Lucky my condo shop in jomtien have their own laws

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

In Western Australia it's No alcohol served in licensed premises on Xmas day and Good Friday only

7 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Time to head down to the 7/11 and buy out all the Cheers Riceberry cans. I wonder if mother's day is an alcohol free weekend too?

Why would mother's day be alcohol free?

If you or anyone else is that worried - www.aathailand.org

9 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Why would mother's day be alcohol free?

If you or anyone else is that worried - www.aathailand.org

Why would it be?

Ahhhm...let me think: because they make up sh1t as they go along?

And if they want the birthday of Her Majesty the Queen to be alcohol- free in order to honor her...then it will be alcohol- free!

...and I would not rule that out, considering how they feel the love!

You pay for a bottle of wine in restaurant the day before or pay for alcohol the day before in a bar, you go to the restaurant or bar whilst the ban is in place, technically they are not selling alcohol on the days it is banned.

You can buy from the Supermarket the day before and drink it over the W.E. Where ever you want, house, beach etc, what's the difference ?

Edited by Alex2015

Just now, Alex2015 said:

Just now, Alex2015 said:

You pay for a bottle of wine in restaurant the day before or pay for alcohol the day before in a bar, you go to the restaurant or bar whilst the ban is in place, technically they are not selling alcohol on the days it is banned. You can buy from the Supermarket the day before and drink it over the W.E.

I reckon if a person is too thick to plan ahead and stock up, probably helpful in keeping what few gray cells they may still have.

Like the millions of tourists would even know there was a referendum. I didn't mark it on my calender either and with only 24 hours notice of a booze ban there will be a lot of expats caught out

5 hours ago, DM07 said:

Again: a government, telling its people, what they can or can not do!

Like the yanks banning fireworks on Independence day. Come on. They don't need any drunks fighting at polling booths or demonstrations.This is a big deal for the Thais. Let them run it without snide sounding comments.

16 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Like the millions of tourists would even know there was a referendum. I didn't mark it on my calender either and with only 24 hours notice of a booze ban there will be a lot of expats caught out

This is a referendum for Thais. If the tourists can't appreciate they are in a foreign country  and respect their rules well that is just to bad. Instead of sitting there with your comments why not run out and buy some booze?

4 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

Like the yanks banning fireworks on Independence day. Come on. They don't need any drunks fighting at polling booths or demonstrations.This is a big deal for the Thais. Let them run it without snide sounding comments.

Surely, you are joking. They would ban fireworks but not machine guns?

5 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Surely, you are joking. They would ban fireworks but not machine guns?

Actually they do ban machine guns. All those fancy automatic looking weapons only fire one shot at a time. If you rig it to do otherwise you are a lawbreaker. A gun is no different to a brick. It is the person holding it which makes it  a weapon or a patio ornament.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

wonder if any other countries have this silly policy about banning sales of grog on election days. i have only heard of it in thailand. dont see what good it does or how anyone makes any money off it so i dont really understand it.

Quite a few US States had alcohol bans during elections, although I believe only S Carolina still has one.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Quite a few US States had alcohol bans during elections, although I believe only S Carolina still has one.