FB 'junk' on home page

dick dasterdly

I rarely look at FB as my 'home page' is full of posts from friends of 'friends', if that makes sense!  Who can be bothered to wade through so much of no interest?

Is there any way to change the settings so that my home page only shows 'friends' posts?  I'm sure there must be, but as I'm a tech. illiterate - a step by step guide would be appreciated :(.

Additionally, is there any way to stop FB lighting up the bottom right hand corner of my screen with friend requests/new posts etc. etc. when I'm not in FB?

I have only about 20 friends(real friends I know personally) and cant be bothered with all the junk they post. It takes me already a long time to get to the stuff which interests me. My gf's son has like 3000 friends. That must be a hell of a timewaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the OP. It is a bloody nuisance. I am really sick of all the SomTam pictures friends of friends like to post.

Unfortunately Chicog, there is no setting to control this. I can only control who can see my stuff. Unless you know different, please share.

2 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

I agree with the OP. It is a bloody nuisance. I am really sick of all the SomTam pictures friends of friends like to post.

Unfortunately Chicog, there is no setting to control this. I can only control who can see my stuff. Unless you know different, please share.

You can turn notifications off for any post.

You can "unfollow" any poster without "unfriending" them.

Or you can simply "unfriend" them.

16 hours ago, Chicog said:

On 8/5/2016 at 1:30 PM, Chicog said:

(1) You can change your Privacy settings (top right next to the Padlock).
(2) Notifications can be turned off in Browser settings.

Thanks Chicog.

I found privacy settings, but they only refer to who can see my posts - not the other way round.

Another poster pointed out the down arrow key by posts, and this is VERY useful for those I've added as a 'friend' because I didn't want to offend them....

But my main problem is not 'friends' posts - its the friends of 'friends'  (i.e. not my 'friends') posts that are shown on my Home page.  Hope this convoluted sentence makes sense!

Additionally, where are Browser settings (to get rid of FB 'pop-up' notifications when not in FB)?

59 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Thanks Chicog.

I found privacy settings, but they only refer to who can see my posts - not the other way round.

Another poster pointed out the down arrow key by posts, and this is VERY useful for those I've added as a 'friend' because I didn't want to offend them....

But my main problem is not 'friends' posts - its the friends of 'friends'  (i.e. not my 'friends') posts that are shown on my Home page.  Hope this convoluted sentence makes sense!

Additionally, where are Browser settings (to get rid of FB 'pop-up' notifications when not in FB)?

Scrub the 'friends of friends' part as (having spent some time trying to sort out probs this a.m.) I've discovered that they too have the down arrow key on their own posts - and so can be 'hidden' :).