Keyboard Crazy Crazy

chiangrai

I have an old laptop that I want to keep as a back up.

I have just had a good second hand Hard Drive put in it

but when I got back from the repair shop I found that still had issues.

The letters B,N,K,X(which are all near each other)and the arrow keys

are not working.Also when I double click on a folder it opens every folder in the folder that I clicked on,all in separate windows.

As I  said the laptop is old and I don't want to spend any real money on it.I need to know if this sounds like an expensive thing to fix or not before I bring it to the shop.

What does it sound like to you.What do you think the problem is and how much would you guess it would take to fix.

O.k,

I restarted the machine and some of the letters are now working and the files are opening correctly.

There are still some letters not working.

Does this sugest that it's a big or a small problem.

If it's a big problem I won't spend money on an old laptop.

It's probably a dirty connection (easy fix) or a broken flexi-board (new keyboard required).

Since it's an old/backup unit a cheap USB keyboard and rodent would be my way forwards.

12 hours ago, chiangrai said:

The guy who just put the hard drive in said he did all that.

If it's old, the inside is probably full of dust build up. Fans especiallly get alot of dust caked on them, A good cleaning will help prolong the life of it and might help with the keyboard problem. Shouldn't cost much.

Every time restart it it behaves different.

Now I get a very mild shock when I touch a port that is near the port for the wire that connects to the modem,which I don't use any more.

Also the Lenovo Energy Managment opens and won't close.

The letters seem to be fixed except for one.

I'd back up anything important you have on there. Could still be simple stuff a good cleaning might fix. Or maybe on it's last days.Kind of depends how much money an effort you want to put into it.

Thanks,

I will bring it in when I'm in town but I will tell the guy not to spend more than a few hundred Baht on it.

It's only a backup and I can play video files and navigate Youtube.That's O.k for a few hours.

Just on an offshoot.The main thing I use this computer for is when there is a power cut and the battery is flat in my good laptop.

But there must be a better way than this.What would it be.

Buying an extra battery for my good laptop and keeping that charged or are there powerpacks you can buy to give your laptop longer battery life.

Did the repair shop also install a bootleg copy of Windows with the hard drive or did you have a legit copy or recovery copy at hand?  Bootleg could present some issues, as well as free bloat/ad/malware krap they often install without asking.