Thailand's Sopita Tanasan wins 48kg gold in Olympic debut

rooster59

40 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

The Olympics doesn't have a 48 kg class for the men. The lowest weight seems to be the 56 kg class. Thailand has 2 men competing in that class. One of them,  Witoon Mingmoon , won a Junior World Championship at the start of 2016 when he did a 115kg Snatch and a 150kg Clean and Jerk for a total of 265kgs, which was actually 29kgs more than the 2nd place finisher from Ecuador, and 32kgs more than the 3rd place finisher from Japan. Witoon noted that he has lifted 160 kgs in the Clean and Jerk in training. 

(The Junior World Record holder is a 22 y.o. from Vietnam who did a 135 kg Snatch and a 161 kg Clean and Jerk for a total of 296 kgs.)

Thank you, very interesting and enlightening. Fascinating sport, weight lifting!

16 hours ago, tuanku said:

So how many 48kg Thai men could lift these weights?

Probably very few.   But ask, "How many Thai men in the 48 Kg class (if there is a 48 Kg class for men) could lift these weights", and I'd suggest all of them.

The woman has trained for years, so of course she's going to be stronger than most untrained males, and probably ALL untrained males in the 48 Kg class.

Well done young lady, and good luck with the knees, hip, shoulder and elbow joints in 20 years!!

Edited by F4UCorsair

One of the 2 Thai men competing in the lightest men's category (the 56 kg class), Sinphet Kruaithong, won a Bronze medal with a 289 kg total. The guy I mentioned above (Witoon Mingmoon) only managed an 8th place finish with a 261 kg total. (The winner was from China and he lifted a total of 307 kgs in the 2 lifts.)

5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

One of the 2 Thai men competing in the lightest men's category (the 56 kg class), Sinphet Kruaithong, won a Bronze medal with a 289 kg total. The guy I mentioned above (Witoon Mingmoon) only managed an 8th place finish with a 261 kg total. (The winner was from China and he lifted a total of 307 kgs in the 2 lifts.)

Well doesn't that suck. After it was announced that Sinphet had won the Bronze medal, his 82 y.o. grandmother collapsed at their home in Surin and an hour later was pronounced dead at the local hospital. 

On 8/7/2016 at 8:30 AM, tuanku said:

Ok - have it your way, pedant. Some Thai women are stronger than some Thai men.

I do see international sporting successes more frequently for Thai women than men, which was kind of my point in the first place

Wrong on that point I'm afraid fella.........the majority of Thai Olympic medals and international sporting world titles have always come from men's boxing. The Thai's have always been good boxers. My first view of this was when I was just a kid and watched a Thai beast, World Flyweight Champ Sot Chitalada destroy a great little English former World flyweight champ, Charlie Magri. :)

On 8/9/2016 at 11:11 AM, somchai jones said:

Wrong on that point I'm afraid fella.........the majority of Thai Olympic medals and international sporting world titles have always come from men's boxing. The Thai's have always been good boxers. My first view of this was when I was just a kid and watched a Thai beast, World Flyweight Champ Sot Chitalada destroy a great little English former World flyweight champ, Charlie Magri. :)

But right now, Thailand's women are prominent in the world scene in volleyball, badminton and now weightlifting, as well as a Thai girl winning the UK open in golf.

Edited by tuanku