Retirement extension New rules ?

On 8/10/2016 at 8:29 AM, Bsd said:

Samui Immigration yesterday (9/8) the wait for long term visas was 7 hours+.

2 people got sent home after 4 hours of waiting told they had come in too early (come back with 7 days of expiry).  Another person got sent home straight away even after asking the boss where in the regulations it says 7 days.

2 people waited 7 hours for retirement extensions only to be told they needed to get a Kor Ror 22.

On seeing that all my previous extensions had been done by Nok the officer asked me how much I had paid him before accepting my 1,900 baht.

At 2pm the staff at the counter started suggesting to people from Koh Phangan that maybe they should get a hotel for the night.

Number of long term extensions actually granted yesterday maybe 3.

The only time any of my previous extensions took more than an hour was when Nok sent me off to get another document at the amphur.  When that told 2.5 hours he apologised to me and worked through lunch to process my visa.

File a complaint, I am going to at least one of the other couples that was there yesterday is going to, if multiple complaints are received on the same issue it is more likely that something will happen.  One last piece of advice complain high up either 1111 or go to the army.

I'll cross Koh Samui off my list of potential places to live. 

Based on the very helpful information that's being shared in the other thread, Samui and CM are both certainly OFF my list!!!! Don't need or want that kind of added aggravation in my life, especially when it potentially impacts my basic ability to continue to live here in the country.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2016 at 1:00 PM, lavender19 said:

Strange I have never seen it packed before . Maybe you caught it on a bad day

I know of three others who have been to renew their extension recently all with the same outcome as mine.

It's not the female officer who is to blame .

I have never had a problem before either as I said before this office used to be a pleasure to deal with.

I thought the Chumphon office had only been open a couple of years.Before that I used to go to Ranong.

I was sitting waiting in Chumphon office a few weeks back when , I think an American couple were getting the same story,  wait 30 days or pay up.You can hear every ones business in there only a small office

They gathered their paperwork and walked out.I say good on em. Don't know what's happened in this office but it certainly is not farang friendly any more.

I wonder if I can go back to using Ranong that was always a breeze.I wonder if that has changed now

On 8/11/2016 at 8:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

Those requirements have been in effect for many years now if applying for a long stay extensions. 

If you have been able to change offices you have been very lucky. Most now want firm proof of residence such as a rental agreement. They do check their records to see if you are changing addresses and will insist on you formally changing your address.

Since early last year you cannot do your 90 day reports at another office other than the one where you applied for your extension or have formally changed your address to that office.

For about 18 months now, I have used 3 different offices to report...Lad Phrao in BKK, and two others in Chon Buri...each time, the officer never asked for more than my tm 47...I now know which office I have to make my permanent base, at least to avoid problems or unwanted scrutiny...thanks...

On 8/8/2016 at 10:33 AM, gchurch259 said:

Isn't there a way to report corruption, sounds like it to me if they hike you 3,000THB.

Anyone who feels they are a victim of corruption in Thailand can contact the National Anti Corruption Commission by calling 1205

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/marriage-visa-crackdown-immigration-officers-who-demand-extra-fees-to-face-criminal-charges/149564/

On 8/10/2016 at 8:29 AM, Bsd said:

Samui Immigration yesterday (9/8) the wait for long term visas was 7 hours+.

2 people got sent home after 4 hours of waiting told they had come in too early (come back with 7 days of expiry).  Another person got sent home straight away even after asking the boss where in the regulations it says 7 days.

2 people waited 7 hours for retirement extensions only to be told they needed to get a Kor Ror 22.

On seeing that all my previous extensions had been done by Nok the officer asked me how much I had paid him before accepting my 1,900 baht.

At 2pm the staff at the counter started suggesting to people from Koh Phangan that maybe they should get a hotel for the night.

Number of long term extensions actually granted yesterday maybe 3.

The only time any of my previous extensions took more than an hour was when Nok sent me off to get another document at the amphur.  When that told 2.5 hours he apologised to me and worked through lunch to process my visa.

File a complaint, I am going to at least one of the other couples that was there yesterday is going to, if multiple complaints are received on the same issue it is more likely that something will happen.  One last piece of advice complain high up either 1111 or go to the army.

A Kor Ror 22 for a Retirement Extension?  Are you sure you know what you are talking about?  What do you think a Kor Ror 22 is?

Edited by Scotwight

21 hours ago, Scotwight said:

A Kor Ror 22 for a Retirement Extension?  Are you sure you know what you are talking about?  What do you think a Kor Ror 22 is?

Certification that a marriage has been registered in Thailand.  I am on a marriage extension myself so I am very familiar with them.

This was a couple making 2 retirement extensions at the same time, each person showing their own income.  The IO decided that since they were married and applying at the same time she wanted proof that they were married, otherwise she wouldn't process their extension.

After 7 hours of waiting really it was asking for a brown envelope if you want your visa today.

I spoke to the couple after they left immigration (we were waiting for the same ferry home) and they confirmed that is what they had been asked for.

Edited by Bsd
spelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bsd said:

Certification that a marriage has been registered in Thailand.  I am on a marriage extension myself so I am very familiar with them.

This was a couple making 2 retirement extensions at the same time, each person showing their own income.  The IO decided that since they were married and applying at the same time she wanted proof that they were married, otherwise she wouldn't process their extension.

After 7 hours of waiting really it was asking for a brown envelope if you want your visa today.

I spoke to the couple after they left immigration (we were waiting for the same ferry home) and they confirmed that is what they had been asked for.

They cannot get a Kor Ror 22. Those are only issued to a Thai couple or a Thai and non Thai couples as proof they have registered their foreign marriage.

It seems the couple you mention were being told that they needed to have their marriage certificate legalized by their home country.

• Like 1

I broke this suspicion of Chumphon immigration office going rogue on retirement extensions a few weeks before 

On 8/8/2016 at 10:39 AM, Thaidream said:

....... For marriage extensions, more scrutiny is required, hence, the 30 days under consideration due to the various reports of 'marriage for convenience' that have been used by certain nationalities to establish 'enterprises'.

Actually, local immigration offices typically must send the marriage extension application to Bangkok to get approval, which is why extra copies are required and the 30 day under review.

Retirement extensions are supposed to be approved immediately at the local level.  Previously reports from other retirees was that they could just go to the local Chumphon office (about 2.5-3 years ago, it was in Ranong). Asking for 3-5k baht extra express fee is all just bullcrap.

On 8/8/2016 at 5:16 PM, lavender19 said:

Having major problem trying to use the quote function .Don't know if to do with upgrade?

I walked out of the office also as I wanted more info first as they would not answer my question there.

Who did they call in Bkk.The immigration office?

I have all the correct paperwork as I have done many times before and for the life of me I can not see what would take 30 days.

This office used to be a pleasure to deal with, alas no more I have heard of numerous case of people being messed about over the last few months.

I don't know if there is a new sheriff in town but If there is I wish he would get on his horse and go away

Yes, that seems to be the consensus from a couple of recent extensions.  There is a new boss at that office.  I didn't hear about the 5k baht until reading this thread and the one @TallGuyJohninBKK started to discern who is following rules and who is not.   The 2 retiree couples I spoke to claimed that they did not pay anything extra.  They just provided all the usual paperwork, plus copies of one or two of their debit/credit cards (one couple wisely blocked out some of the numbers).   Apparently that satisfies some extra requirement that they prove that they are spending the money in thailand.

But yes, it wasn't the 15 minute in-and-out-of-office-with-new-retirement-extension.....but we will see how it all plays out.

About 2 weeks I will find out the conclusion of the extensions as the applications are recent (nether couple is worried).  Seems that you can still do it without any additional fees, but they are just being more difficult.  But of course there is a 'difficult-free'/fast track/expedited fee.

I do wonder if you call the corruption hotline and then walked back in, would get processed the same day?

On 8/11/2016 at 5:26 PM, Knocker33 said:

I thought the Chumphon office had only been open a couple of years.Before that I used to go to Ranong.

I was sitting waiting in Chumphon office a few weeks back when , I think an American couple were getting the same story,  wait 30 days or pay up.You can hear every ones business in there only a small office

They gathered their paperwork and walked out.I say good on em. Don't know what's happened in this office but it certainly is not farang friendly any more.

I wonder if I can go back to using Ranong that was always a breeze.I wonder if that has changed now

The Chumphon office is relatively new; about 2.5-3 years  It was located in the spaghetti loop crossing Hwy 4, but it then is at the main bus terminal outside Chumphon Town (maybe 5km from the spaghetti loop towards Lang Suan/Surat Thani). 

Before that, every 2nd tuesday of the month, immigration came to Tesco Lotus and they had tables setup, stacks of neighbor country passports/paperwork, etc.  Then they increased it to twice a month.  Then they finally got their own office in Chumphon.  But you had to go to Ranong to do extensions.   I'm unclear if you can still go to Ranong, I doubt it since Chumphon has its own office.

--------

I bypass a lot of this nonsense because I have a multiple non-imm O visa.  Out-Ins are not a problem. But I have noticed they are scrutinizing how you fill out the arrival card.  Specifically the address (make sure it is full address, including sub-district, district, province, postal code), and also the port of embarkation/disembarkation.  It's still a little work to do border hops and get a new visa, but it is an alternative.  And from Chumphon, the border run can be done for 1100 baht (or 1400 if you want Andaman Club), takes about 7 hours round trip (longer if the van is delayed at pier waiting on Koh Tao arrivals).

And the poorer neighbor country's passports (Cambodia, Laos, etc) are certainly not immune to having extra costs to exit/enter.  Ever wonder why their passports are not always returned to them through the window, but they are instead called into the office and often find themselves searching their pockets for a small, pink looking paper with the digits 1 0 0 in each corner?

• Like 1

On 08/08/2016 at 8:52 AM, ubonjoe said:

You cannot pick and choose which immigration office you use. You have to be a resident of the area they are responsible for.

I way to change offices is to move to another province with an exception of those that have two offices.

Note that even if your province has multiple offices you still may not have a choice.  In Surat Thani any one on Samui, Phangan or Koh Tao must use the Samui Immigration office not the mainland one.

• 3 months later...

Just got back from visiting friends over in Chumphon. We were in a restaurant the other night having a bit of a leaving do for some guys .There was a mix of people, tourist ,expats and Thai local business people.

The conversation got around to Chumphon Immigration and the problems they are still causing people.

The leaving do was for the tourists who have been returning here for many years, they were all on 2 month tourist visa's and when they had gone for their one month extension were asked for an extra 1000 baht and if they refused to pay they were given only 7 days and one of the expats had recently been for his retirement extension had been told that his paperwork would have to be checked and if not back in time he would be put back on a tourist visa BUT if he could help her boss with a 3000 baht donation his paperwork would be miraculously be passed . The tourist are off to Vietnam and have vowed never to return to Thailand. This even peeded off the  Thai's who were there as they are seeing their tourist numbers dwindle year by year. No wonder if you have people like this in control of Immigration offices.

Its a pity they don't practice what they preach. Good Guys In Bad Guys Out 

I am just glad I do not have use this office

17 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

Just got back from visiting friends over in Chumphon. We were in a restaurant the other night having a bit of a leaving do for some guys .There was a mix of people, tourist ,expats and Thai local business people.

The conversation got around to Chumphon Immigration and the problems they are still causing people.

The leaving do was for the tourists who have been returning here for many years, they were all on 2 month tourist visa's and when they had gone for their one month extension were asked for an extra 1000 baht and if they refused to pay they were given only 7 days and one of the expats had recently been for his retirement extension had been told that his paperwork would have to be checked and if not back in time he would be put back on a tourist visa BUT if he could help her boss with a 3000 baht donation his paperwork would be miraculously be passed . The tourist are off to Vietnam and have vowed never to return to Thailand. This even peeded off the  Thai's who were there as they are seeing their tourist numbers dwindle year by year. No wonder if you have people like this in control of Immigration offices.

Ever since that Chumphon office got a new boss, it has indeed become more 'mafioso'.  I can confirm speaking with others they are being increasingly aggressive in asking for additional "express fees".   Unfortunate turn of events, as Chumphon never used to be exposed to that kind of bullsh** vs some of the other more touristy immigration offices.   

But some of the expats do come in prepared.....not worth the hassle [TiT].  The fee is priced 'just high enough' to make you sigh....and then either hand it over or try to negotiate a better deal.   Some have switched to non-imm B, O, or O-A multiple, or even an elite visa so that they never have to deal with the local immigration office for anything related to extending their stay.

It becomes a matter of picking your poison :saai:  I've never had the pleasure of understanding the intricacies of the local immigration office.  Based on these reports, I hope I never have to.

17 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

Its a pity they don't practice what they preach. Good Guys In Bad Guys Out 

I am just glad I do not have use this office

The new joke is "Bad guys In, Good Guys Out".  They seem to be penalizing people with legit status.  Tourist visa extensions are also getting hit up?  I assume this also includes Visa Exempt extensions.

BTW, those people teaching or other employment that qualifies you for a 'B' visa,  might be better to either:

a) get a ME non-B visa

b ) [if possible] if married/thai kid, do the 1 year extension of stay or go get ME non-O visa.

They are asking for express fees for people who are already fully entitled to receive their extension.  Imagine if you are suddenly fired or quit and then need to leave :hit-the-fan:

23 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

They are asking for express fees for people who are already fully entitled to receive their extension.  Imagine if you are suddenly fired or quit and then need to leave :hit-the-fan:

Anyone whose applications comply with current parameters only has themselves to blame if they roll over; The ol' "they'll blackball me if I don't comply" is a bloke-in-a-pub myth. In 16 years of hearing it I have yet to find anyone that can name a victim and I have looked very hard.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Anyone whose applications comply with current parameters only has themselves to blame if they roll over; The ol' "they'll blackball me if I don't comply" is a bloke-in-a-pub myth. In 16 years of hearing it I have yet to find anyone that can name a victim and I have looked very hard.

Well, i have heard of some people doing that. They either:

a) have to wait until the last possible day to receive their new 1 year extensions (until their previous extension expires + 30 day review period). This is making it intentionally difficult to process unless you pay extra.

In the case of tourist visas, they give you AN extension... 7 days instread of 30 days... quite brazen actually. I do know someone who was on a visa exempt to was shaken down... Partially due to problems with prior thai employer which should have ended when he exited and re-entered. Of course an extra 2k on top of the 1900 baht would have solved the problem.

B) Pay the express fee and move on

C) consider other visa options

One couple who has been doing extensions properly for the last 5+ years i know who stood their ground "on principle" at immigration were one of the first to meet the new boss. They had to wait until previous extension expired + 30 days. They returned and when at the office, the immigration officer waited about 1 hour to give one of them their extension. Then played on the computer for another hour.... Then processed the spouses extension.

But after 3 or 4 trips total to immigration (~30-40 KM one way), look on the bright side. They got their extension without having to "pay extra for it". But do you want to be right, or do you want your extension?

D) call the corruption hotline. I think they had explored the corruption line (or would have if they had any 'more' problems after the waiting period).

Hi all,
 I have a new Non Immigrant O visa and went to the immigration (Cheang Wattana) to get an extension of stay (1 year). The lady told me I have to be in the country for at least 45 days and after that can get the 1 year extension based on sufficient funds in the bank account. I have never heard of this 'rule' 
Is this an official requirement?

There are no unofficial rules in the Gov. Centre in my experience. You have three months in which to apply for the one year extension the first application needs to show money in the bank for the previous two months I think, had you only been here 15 days?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect