Retirement extension New rules ?

When I obtained my retirement visa, it took a few weeks, as I was told that the material must be sent to BKK for review.  This was quite a few months ago, however. Moreover, there were no additional fees.  I think you've encountered blatant attempts to extort you.  Too bad you cannot take a pic and post on Facebook.  I'd love to see the reaction of Thais and farang alike.

An acquaintance of mine had the situation where immigration kept refusing his paperwork, claiming it was deficient.  This guy has been in Thailand almost 20 years, and has a Thai wife and children.  Finally, at the last hour, he was told his paperwork could be approved for a processing fee.  Simple corruption that will keep Thailand decades behind other countries in terms of real growth and progress.

Try another office, if you feel offended.  I've started doing that as often as I can.  

3 minutes ago, hdkane said:

Try another office, if you feel offended.  I've started doing that as often as I can.  

You cannot pick and choose which immigration office you use. You have to be a resident of the area they are responsible for.

I way to change offices is to move to another province with an exception of those that have two offices.

As far as I'm aware, an application for an extension based on marriage has to be approved in BKK.  I've been through that process many years ago and a couple of years later opted for extension based on retirement which is much easier and approved locally.  I've just completed my extension based on retirement a few days ago.  Took 20 minutes, including being signed off by the boss and cost 1900 baht.  Very straightforward.

Why some seem to have bizarre problems is beyond me.

• Like 1

Also happening in Koh Samui as last week went to SIO, sat outside for 8 hours only to be told either wait for several days or 5000B for the approval.  I have received ten extensions w/o having to pay more than 1900B.  I always have the correct documents.  Firstly, she said that I was not allowed interest on my SCB fixed account so I called the VP (friend) and he explained that my money and account were acceptable.  Secondly, she said that I had too many extensions and I asked her to show me a document citing a limitation.  What really irked me was when she said that 1900B would no longer be acceptable and that even with a pension letter (which I offered to get) the result would be the same.

By the way, last year I was in and out in one hour with my extension.  The boss even came out and talked to me.  I told him that over the years that office had been very corrupt and he laughed and said that there was a new sheriff in town and that it would never happen again.  He was transferred out.  Should I file a complaint or would it be a waste of time?

No change at Jomtien Immigration (Chonburi) last month when I did my annual extension. Applied around 2.30 or so one afternoon and went back at the same time next day to collect my passport. They did take my photograph when I collected my passport.

Alan

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What are they going to do if you turn up 1 week before visa expires and won't pay the "you know what"? The fee is 1900. However, it's cheaper than paying an agent. OTY.

It isn't a visa, it's an extension of stay and since you would be submitting the application on time, whether or not they put it under consideration (as most offices do for marriage extensions) you're in compliance with the law.

1 hour ago, parallaxtech said:

Also happening in Koh Samui as last week went to SIO, sat outside for 8 hours only to be told either wait for several days or 5000B for the approval.  I have received ten extensions w/o having to pay more than 1900B.  I always have the correct documents.  Firstly, she said that I was not allowed interest on my SCB fixed account so I called the VP (friend) and he explained that my money and account were acceptable.  Secondly, she said that I had too many extensions and I asked her to show me a document citing a limitation.  What really irked me was when she said that 1900B would no longer be acceptable and that even with a pension letter (which I offered to get) the result would be the same.

By the way, last year I was in and out in one hour with my extension.  The boss even came out and talked to me.  I told him that over the years that office had been very corrupt and he laughed and said that there was a new sheriff in town and that it would never happen again.  He was transferred out.  Should I file a complaint or would it be a waste of time?

Immigration has their motto lately -- Good Guys In, Bad Guys Out," or something like that.

Too bad the "Bad Guys Out" part can't be applied to public servants who attempt to extort bribes.

• Like 1

There is no change in the law or requirements for a retirement extension of stay. This board is full of reports of some offices that apply their own requirements. Samui is famous for extra charges and requiring physical exams from a certain hospital- none of which is an official requirement. Other offices have  other idiosyncrasies that include other charges and extra paperwork none of which is authorized. For a while and maybe still doing it- a fee had to be paid at a Southern border to renter the same day- which is not an authorized fee.  I would definitely report these incidents to the line established for such reporting and even if done anonymously- enough reports will get some scrutiny. 

The office in Chaengwattana and Jomtien seem to be the most consistent and follow the regulations . If there is no change in either of thee offices-the other offices are adding on unauthorized extra hassles which cause stress amongst people who have tried to follow the rules year after year. There is no such thing in immigration as express service  and no need for it. For retirement extensions- the officers have the authority to approve or deny on the spot.  For marriage extensions, more scrutiny is required, hence, the 30 days under consideration due to the various reports of 'marriage for convenience' that have been used by certain nationalities to establish 'enterprises'.

• Like 1

gdaya folks,

30 days so what the heck ??? retired no time ??? i think its about being fussy, considerung marriage extension compared to the retirement one, you need to wait 30 days as well thus given you ll be granted the approval. those who dont like it, have the great freedom to go home.

cheers roobaa01

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot pick and choose which immigration office you use. You have to be a resident of the area they are responsible for.

I way to change offices is to move to another province with an exception of those that have two offices.

Maybe you could go to another province, stay in a hotel and tell immigration that you are moving to this new and pleasant town but have not yet found a house to rent long term.

53 minutes ago, gchurch259 said:

Isn't there a way to report corruption, sounds like it to me if they hike you 3,000THB.

This thread below may be of some solace to those complaining about being extorted for extra/undocumented fees in connection with their marriage extensions.

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/marriage-visa-crackdown-immigration-officers-who-demand-extra-fees-to-face-criminal-charges/149564/

Marriage visa crackdown: Immigration officers who demand ‘extra fees’ to face criminal charges

Marriage visa crackdown: Immigration officers who demand ‘extra fees’ to face criminal charges

BANGKOK:– Immigration officers who demand ‘extra fees’ from foreigners in order to process visa/extensions of stay applications can expect to be disciplined and face criminal charges, Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn Prousoontorn, head of Thailand’s Immigration Bureau has warned.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the first immigration officer to face criminal charges over this kind of stuff. :whistling: 

And in fact, most of the report, rather than the focus of the headline, instead talks about Immigration planning to focus on going after "sham" marriages by doing tougher scrutiny on applicants.

But, at the end of the article, it does include the following:

Anyone who feels they are a victim of corruption in Thailand can contact the National Anti Corruption Commission by calling 1205.

Good luck with that....

Wouldn't it be nice if the good commanding general would provide some publicly known way for people who feel they are being abused by his officers to report the issue to someone in Immigration who would actually listen and do something other than file the report in the round bin.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

19 hours ago, elviajero said:

They have the right to put the application under consideration for 30 days at it's done at some other offices. But I am not sure that charging 4,900  (an extra 3,000) baht for an immediate decision is an 'official' charge.

read TV post dated 25th July might be relevant 

Last time I applied to re-new my permission to stay ( based on retirement)in Udon Thani they applied a 30 day " under consideration" period .

My only issue is that I applied 28 days early ( due to anticipated travel requirements) and they applied the 30 days from the date my current permission to stay expired ....thus in effect giving me a 58 day Under Consideration period.

I fully expected that when I returned 58 days later that my paperwork would have been " misplaced" ........but no there it was sitting on top of a filing cabinet. 

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have been saying that they are making up new "rules" everytime I go, but there are still those that say everything is just peachy.

I think a lot depends on what mood an IO is in, some people are lucky, some are not.

Edited by Ron19
Unnecessary statement

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

Stressful for most applicants or are you applying your own paranoia to others. IMO it's just an inconvenience. If an application is accepted at the local office, and is legitimate, there is no reason why it will not be approved. Those on marriage extensions are equally, if not more, invested in this country and they have to go back after 30 days so why shouldn't the retirees.

It wouldn't be a slow no. If there was a problem they would let you know during the 30 days.

"If there was a problem they would let you know during the 30 days"...

Would they?

Yes, most applicants would not want to be on hold for 30 days and it would cause stress. It's not paranoia requiring medication, but a worry nonetheless.

The way you post about the Immigration Office indicates you have a lot of faith in their competence and efficiency. It's like you've just arrived and don't know any better. I don't believe they are as predictable as you believe, but once again you're making excuses for them.

Edited by tropo

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Also one individual who was given the 30 day review stam and offered the "fast track" no receipt option walked out of the office called Bangkok and was told to go straight back to the office where his extension was issued on the spot

Dunno if the person you're referring to called the 1111 govt hotline number or elsewhere... Who did he call?

But more to the point, do you mean after complaining to Bangkok, the person you're referring to was able to go back to the offending Immigration office in Udon and they reversed course and issued his extension in the normal fashion without the added fee?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So even when you go from the first day of your  application  ext period ,and they keep 30 days , and then to say NO you do not get , you are in overstay same moment as a retiree ....?

I think extortion, arbitrary fees, delays, and everything else are only going to increase.  Now that the military pretty much is going to be in charge for at least 5 years, and they are going to nominate their senate, etc.. there will be even less oversight or ways to complain.  The offices at all level are historically likely to get more and more corrupt.  The money grab is on.  The raiding of the treasury with no review or disclosure is now on the table.  Who would file a complaint or submit an issue?  They know they would probably be squashed.

21 hours ago, lavender19 said:

OK but when you have been on an retirement visa for the last 12 years and been legal and have adequate funds you think they could see that I am not one of the bad guys.I would like to know what checks they do and why it takes a month when if you pay it takes 30 mins.It all sound like another money making load of cr-p to me.

Out my way,the new deal is they hold the application for a month and in that month they come out and check where i live and are the locals whether i am cool or not.What happens if i'm not,he wouldn't answer to.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Your post is true, but you are being a little contradictionary, you say "don't blame immigration", partly true, then

you mention "corrupt immigration officers".

Immigration officers in the local offices do not set immigration policy. I am referring to immigration officers that elicit bribes for fraudulent applications. The changes to immigration policy usually come from the top and in some cases can be because of corrupt immigration officers.

Edited by elviajero