Millions gather in Istanbul for anti-coup rally called by Erdogan

webfact

Millions gather in Istanbul for anti-coup rally called by Erdogan

606x341_340733.jpg

ISTANBUL: -- Several million Turks have gathered in Istanbul on Sunday in protest against last month’s coup attempt, according to police and organizers.

The mass rally was called by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and is seen as a show of strength for the leader, who has been criticized by the West for a sweeping crackdown on dissent after the failed takeover.

Banners read “You are a gift from God, Erdogan” or “Order us to die and we will do it,” and many demonstrators came wrapped in the red Turkish flag.

Erdogan once again said he would support any move by the parliament to reinstate the death penalty following the failed coup.

“The sovereignty stays unconditionally with the nation… If the people want that (death penalty), in my opinion, political parties should follow the will of the people.”

Erdogan also criticized a German court ruling barring him from addressing a similar rally in Cologne via video link last weekend.

Speaking to the crowd, he said: “That’s Germany… I wanted to connect to the meeting via videoconference. They didn’t allow me to, they decided against it: where is democracy?”

Sunday’s so-called Democracy and Martyrs’ Rally” caps three weeks of nightly demonstrations by his supporters.

Two of Turkey’s main opposition parties attended the rally and even got to address the crowd before Erdogan, but the pro-Kurdish HDP party was not invited.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-08

22 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

And the nuts who now run the EC are actually talking to Turkey (whose land mass is in Asia) to be a member of the EC.

Maybe Britain was right after all? 

Actually, it's in Europe and Asia.  And really, there is no sound geological basis for separating the 2. The continent is Eurasia.

14 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Actually, it's in Europe and Asia.  And really, there is no sound geological basis for separating the 2. The continent is Eurasia.

Indeed....I have just returned from Istanbul and have seen the European part. The European land mass is tiny compared to the Asian land mass.

The actual percentage is 97% to a minuscule 3%....so it is factually correct to state Turkey is in Asia Minor.

3 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Indeed....I have just returned from Istanbul and have seen the European part. The European land mass is tiny compared to the Asian land mass.

The actual percentage is 97% to a minuscule 3%....so it is factually correct to state Turkey is in Asia Minor.

It's pretty much you against the world. And somehow I don't think that the roughly 8 million Turks  (more people than Bulgaria has) who live in the European portion of the country would accept that they don't exist.

Turkey (Listeni/ˈtɜːrki/; Turkish: Türkiye [ˈtyɾcije]), officially the Republic of Turkey (Turkish: About this sound Türkiye Cumhuriyeti (help·info); pronounced [ˈtyɾcije d͡ʒumˈhuɾijeti]), is a parliamentary republic in Eurasia, mainly on theAnatolian peninsula in Western Asia, with a smaller portion on the Balkan peninsula in Southeast Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey

Straddling the continents of Europe and Asia, Turkey's strategically important location has given it major influence in the region - and control over the entrance to the Black Sea.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-17988453

Southeastern Europe and Southwestern Asia (that portion of Turkey west of the Bosporus is geographically part of Europe), bordering the Black Sea, between Bulgaria and Georgia, and bordering the Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea, between Greece and Syria

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tu.html

Turkey is at the northeast end of the Mediterranean Sea in southeast Europe and southwest Asia.

http://www.infoplease.com/country/turkey.html

49 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Another thought just occurred to me.  The European portion of Turkey is about the size of the state of Massachusetts.  So does that mean that Massachusetts doesn't exist and that there are really only 49 states?  And this is to say nothing of Rhode Island, Delaware, possibly Connecticut, and whatever other states are smaller than Massachusetts.  And if we want to exclude states that are three percent or less than the total area of the United States, well I shudder to do the math. It would be good news for Trump, though.

On 09/08/2016 at 5:29 AM, ilostmypassword said:

It's pretty much you against the world. And somehow I don't think that the roughly 8 million Turks  (more people than Bulgaria has) who live in the European portion of the country would accept that they don't exist.

Turkey (Listeni/ˈtɜːrki/; Turkish: Türkiye [ˈtyɾcije]), officially the Republic of Turkey (Turkish: About this sound Türkiye Cumhuriyeti (help·info); pronounced [ˈtyɾcije d͡ʒumˈhuɾijeti]), is a parliamentary republic in Eurasia, mainly on theAnatolian peninsula in Western Asia, with a smaller portion on the Balkan peninsula in Southeast Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey

Straddling the continents of Europe and Asia, Turkey's strategically important location has given it major influence in the region - and control over the entrance to the Black Sea.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-17988453

Southeastern Europe and Southwestern Asia (that portion of Turkey west of the Bosporus is geographically part of Europe), bordering the Black Sea, between Bulgaria and Georgia, and bordering the Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea, between Greece and Syria

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tu.html

Turkey is at the northeast end of the Mediterranean Sea in southeast Europe and southwest Asia.

http://www.infoplease.com/country/turkey.html

No....I did not say they do not exist. 

You seem to have an issue with the simple fact that Turkey is in Asia Minor......not Europe. 

So perhaps you suggest that the 8 million consider themselves European? 

15 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

No....I did not say they do not exist. 

You seem to have an issue with the simple fact that Turkey is in Asia Minor......not Europe. 

So perhaps you suggest that the 8 million consider themselves European? 

I don't know what they consider. They can believe themselves to be on the moon.  Those 8 million people are in Europe. They're not in Asia minor. The whole world is against you. I quoted 4 fairly authoritative  sources. All say a part of Turkey is in Europe. Can you find any source that says a piece of Turkey - and a very important piece which includes much of Istanbul - is not in Europe?

Giving that 97% (roughly) and around 69/70 million people are in the asian part may they should be considered to be part of ASEAN and NOT the EU!  

Clearly with it being more of an Asian country it would make more sense, or it could become part of the middle eastern block, the way their government and people act its probably more suiting.:thumbsup:

Any thing would be better than it becoming part of Europe.

2 minutes ago, Caps said:

Giving that 97% (roughly) and around 69/70 million people are in the asian part may they should be considered to be part of ASEAN and NOT the EU!  

Clearly with it being more of an Asian country it would make more sense, or it could become part of the middle eastern block, the way their government and people act its probably more suiting.:thumbsup:

Any thing would be better than it becoming part of Europe.

I think you're confusing the EC with the land mass called Europe. One is a political matter and the other is a geographical one.

6 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I think you're confusing the EC with the land mass called Europe. One is a political matter and the other is a geographical one.

Yes and roughly 97% of its land mass is NOT in Europe

Got a bit carried away with the fingers,,,,i meant to say,,,anything would be better than it becoming part of the EU (not the EC)

Edited by Caps

10 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I don't know what they consider. They can believe themselves to be on the moon.  Those 8 million people are in Europe. They're not in Asia minor. The whole world is against you. I quoted 4 fairly authoritative  sources. All say a part of Turkey is in Europe. Can you find any source that says a piece of Turkey - and a very important piece which includes much of Istanbul - is not in Europe?

What on earth are you on about....  what exactly are you trying to say? 

If you read my first reply you just might have seen that I stated and also gave you a link to say that a mere 3% of Turkey is considered to be in Europe. It seems I have to translate this for you......therefore those who live in this 3% may consider themselves to live in Europe. 

I have said this from the start. Do try and read posts properly

I'm done with this. 

1 hour ago, harleyclarkey said:

What on earth are you on about....  what exactly are you trying to say? 

If you read my first reply you just might have seen that I stated and also gave you a link to say that a mere 3% of Turkey is considered to be in Europe. It seems I have to translate this for you......therefore those who live in this 3% may consider themselves to live in Europe. 

I have said this from the start. Do try and read posts properly

I'm done with this. 

"You seem to have an issue with the simple fact that Turkey is in Asia Minor......not Europe."