Japan, Thailand sign memo on shinkansen project

webfact

Japan, Thailand sign memo on shinkansen project

JIJI, KYODO

BANGKOK – Transport minister Keiichi Ishii and his Thai counterpart, Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, signed a memorandum on cooperation on Saturday for a high-speed rail project in Thailand that will adopt Japan’s shinkansen system.

The two countries will start work on creating a basic plan next year after the Japan International Cooperation Agency releases a final report on the results of its feasibility study, which is expected to be finished in about six months.

The planned 670-kilometer-long railway will connect the Thai capital of Bangkok and the northern city of Chiang Mai. The memorandum says the 380-km-long section between Bangkok and Phitsanulok should be built first because demand is expected to be relatively strong.

Full story: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/08/06/national/japan-thailand-sign-memo-on-shinkansen-project/

-- The Japan Times 2016-08-08

Yay, a Memo, Hurrah ! :rolleyes:

And the line will run from Bangkok to Phitsanulok, loads of potential there, a sure-fire money-loser-maker ! ;)

Now, the important part, what will the B100-lunchpacks contain ? :whistling:

Edited by Ricardo

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Just to add  ...  the linked-article says nothing about who will be paying for the line, or how they will fund it ?  :coffee1:

Japan is giving out $7 billion in three years in aid for Southeast Asian countries for development of high speed rail, not sure how much Thailand will be getting. But it seems like Thailand might be getting most if it, as the government already has the green light. So looks like Japan will be helping to cover part of it. Its also undecided who will operate it, I sure do hope Japan will be the one operating the trains....SRT is an aging dinosaur, they would not be allow to manage anything.

2 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

not set in stone, as only a 'memorandum on cooperation'. seem to a lot of those floating around, but no spending of big money to help lift the domestic economy.

I believe its almost set in stone, as they signed the "memorandum of understanding" last year, and this new contract is for cooperation. Main reason why it went to Japan was probably because Japan is giving out $7 billion to assist in construction. Don't think feasibility study will make an impact, its just part of the process to make it legit. There are very few lines in the world where a high speed trains are profitable.

as it's seen in China ,people said it's cheaper to fly.

Only those top income earners can afford to use the service. small revenue.!!!!

As well as the the feasibility has been done for the route BKK  - ChiangMai, the result is "not feasible".

I prefer the Chinese.

As well as the the feasibility has been done for the route BKK  - ChiangMai, the result is "not feasible".

I prefer the Chinese.

Really? I chat with Chinese people every day and it's about half and half. Some destinations are easier to fly to. some are easier to take the train.

34 minutes ago, casualbiker said:

Really? I chat with Chinese people every day and it's about half and half. Some destinations are easier to fly to. some are easier to take the train.

Yes, I am sure I watched the news a few years back.  They said the Chinese speed train is faster than the Jap. Bullet train but the problem is as i said it was not profitable. 

it became profitable in  only 2014. so Thai will follow the same road but Thai has lots less population than China. How many times? Then to emerge from loss this factor should be used in a formlar.  my estimation that it would take lots longer than the Chinese.

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2015-01/27/content_19414404.htm

Edited by SattaheapSea

1 hour ago, SattaheapSea said:

I prefer the Chinese.

I think it depends on the route. I think the route going down to Rayong will be more beneficial, because more business people will be using it on a daily basis along with tourists going to pattaya. I remember under the PTP, they did a study, it would take over 100 years for it to be profitable in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

So not the Chinese then?

Unless it's been derailed, that project is due to start this month.

BUT, as reported in BP, we are only talking about designing a whopping 3.5km section of track amid uncertainties about more.

One can only hope that 3.5km makes a circle, so they can at least turn it into a theme park.

3 hours ago, SattaheapSea said:

I prefer the Chinese.

When I took the Shinkansen in Japan it was actually cheaper to fly between Tokyo and Osaka. The advantage was that it was easier to take the train. Stops in the city center on both sides and no need to check in at the airport. 'Door to door it was as quick as flying and less hassle.

The route between Chiang Mai and Bangkok is the only one that makes sense and I hope they can pull it off. Less than two hours from Chiang Mai to Bangkok would be great.

If you would all like to ref to the July "Time" mag,  at the back is a great write up on China's H.S R and it is titled " whatever you do don't mention high speed rail " it will bring you up to date with the latest , two things here that come to mind,  at 17 Million USD per KM , at Chinese costs and the sweet distance of 2-3 hrs travel time to make any profit , also with  China's HS system only one has ever made a profit,  sort of makes the project look memorable  ......................................................:coffee1:

2 hours ago, bazza40 said:

Japanese TQC systems meet Thai mai bpen rai. Well, I suppose they've made it work with the automotive industry - although the rice burners aren't made to travel at 280 km/hr.

Yup, isn't it amazing? Fact that the Japanese are willing to pay and build it is great. I hope they'll make sure it will be built by japanese standards.

But what will happen if the cows from farmer Somchai go sleeping on the tracks? Or the chickens/soidogs  from PeeKai hang around there? 

The Thai Shinkansen needs a big bullbar mounted i guess.

7 hours ago, anotheruser said:

When I took the Shinkansen in Japan it was actually cheaper to fly between Tokyo and Osaka. The advantage was that it was easier to take the train. Stops in the city center on both sides and no need to check in at the airport. 'Door to door it was as quick as flying and less hassle.

The route between Chiang Mai and Bangkok is the only one that makes sense and I hope they can pull it off. Less than two hours from Chiang Mai to Bangkok would be great.

Only less hassle if you have a seat :P  

Due to last minute / bad timing I had standing only ticket from Tokyo to Fukuoka..... not something I would want to do again ...

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

You are lucky it was a Japanese train given the distance covered. :)

Great trains -- and I would trust them more than Chinese trains....  but I still think the concept of high speed trains for domestic travel in Thailand is a massive waste.  Good tracks, solid trains yes... but high speed trains like these are meant for travel between major metropolitan areas... and only Thailand only has one city that qualifies.... Bangkok.  

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Great trains -- and I would trust them more than Chinese trains....  but I still think the concept of high speed trains for domestic travel in Thailand is a massive waste.  Good tracks, solid trains yes... but high speed trains like these are meant for travel between major metropolitan areas... and only Thailand only has one city that qualifies.... Bangkok.  

The thought of Thais trying to keep a shinkansen on the rails is what disturbs me not the money. How many times did the Chiand Mai train derail lately?

10 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

The thought of Thais trying to keep a shinkansen on the rails is what disturbs me not the money. How many times did the Chiand Mai train derail lately?

The present Bkk to CM track is metre gauge. Any track laid for HST will be standard gauge (1.435m).

So, panic not.