mac Sierra - loving it

skippybangkok

On 08/08/2016 at 8:05 PM, Lammbock said:

My concern with Sierra is that it might delete files I not use for a long time but sure want to keep them.

Don't worry, that won't happen. If you are thinking of Sierra's iCloud storage of little used files, you can switch that off if you are worried about it.

It does not auto delete, but it helped me find what was worth deleting, i.e. old .dwg files I had floating around

i.e.. - I had 15 GB of old iPhone and iPad back ups. Yep, could have deleted it in iTunes, but having all info in one spot really helps

Edited by skippybangkok

On 14/08/2016 at 3:19 AM, Mudcrab said:

fair dinkum?

yup.....  have a 168 GB free now vs 14 GB.  Guess I never cleaned the house properly. was thinking of increasing SSD size, which is not supported by Apple, no need now.

p.s. Apple Mac I have had since 2012, and still in top shape and fast.  Still get about 6-7 hours out of my battery, which is impressive for a 4 year old computer. 

Important to note, If you are using time machine with an external drive. Mac OS still stores a time machine backup locally. Not sure if Sierra solves this, but this the correct DYI solution:

http://www.howtogeek.com/212207/how-to-free-up-space-used-by-time-machines-local-backups-on-your-mac/

You can also move your iphone, ipad, etc backups to an external drive:

http://www.imore.com/how-move-your-iphone-and-ipad-backups-external-drive

Edited by xvend

• 1 month later...
Does this machine qualify for the update, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), as I have had no updates showing as yet
Thanks
John

I believe you have to go into the Apple store, find it and download it. When you download it should say whether you have to pay or not, but I think it's free. It was free for me and mine is a 2014 Mac air.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, tominbkk said:

I believe you have to go into the Apple store, find it and download it. When you download it should say whether you have to pay or not, but I think it's free. It was free for me and mine is a 2014 Mac air.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Many thanks for the info, downloading it now

John