American and Australian abducted in Kabul – reports

webfact

American and Australian abducted in Kabul – reports

606x341_340756.jpg

KABUL: -- Officials in the Afghanistan say there are looking for an Australian and an American who have been abducted by gunman in the city of Kabul. 

Kidnappings, motivated by money, are a major problem in the country.

The pair are believed to be connected with a Kabul university.

One eyewitness said the two had been travelling inside a university car.

“I was inside the shop and heard some noise,” said burger seller Mutalib Khan. “When I came out I saw a 4×4 car in front of the university car. I thought that there was a car accident. Two armed men came out and broke the glass of the university car and abducted some people.”

The Australian Embassy and the US State Department said they were aware of the kidnapping reports.

A German and a Dutchwoman were taken from the same area last year. Both were eventually released unharmed.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-09

Whats gets me is how some people still think its safe to travel about in these areas!  Of course its never going to happen to me!   Right up until the time it does.

I hope they are released.  But I am not holding my breath especially now IS are there  

Edited by Caps

I have a friend who teaches english for a US contractor, at the Royal Palace in Kabul. He travels with an armed convoy between the Army base, and the palace every day. He realizes there are risks, but would never dream of traveling on his own. I mentioned the idea of someone working for a university there, and also the idea of tourists in Afghanistan, and he just shook his head. The idea of anyone doing this is sheer insanity. Nothing wrong with taking some chances in life, but this takes the cake. There are some actions one can take, where you just subject yourself to any event, any possibility, any consequence. This is definitely one of them. Hard to feel a great degree of sympathy for them. Kind of like the sort of empathy one might feel for someone who lost their life climbing Annapurna. You take those kinds of chances, and you just don't know what fate is going to throw your way. 

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have a friend who teaches english for a US contractor, at the Royal Palace in Kabul. He travels with an armed convoy between the Army base, and the palace every day. He realizes there are risks, but would never dream of traveling on his own. I mentioned the idea of someone working for a university there, and also the idea of tourists in Afghanistan, and he just shook his head. The idea of anyone doing this is sheer insanity. Nothing wrong with taking some chances in life, but this takes the cake. There are some actions one can take, where you just subject yourself to any event, any possibility, any consequence. This is definitely one of them. Hard to feel a great degree of sympathy for them. Kind of like the sort of empathy one might feel for someone who lost their life climbing Annapurna. You take those kinds of chances, and you just don't know what fate is going to throw your way. 

Same here.  I know westerners who have taken jobs in the Middle East...mainly because it pays really well.  They don't seem take the risks into consideration at all.  Such as it is.