Name, your scariest Thai food(s)

SattaheapSea

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/08/2016 at 1:58 AM, tw25rw said:

Naem. Looks like a harmless sausage. Tastes how I imagine chilli diarrhoea to taste.

Perhaps you'd care to taste chilli diarrhoea first, then compare it with naem.  I'm pretty sure the naem will taste at least as good, if not better.  Do report back.

7 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Perhaps you'd care to taste chilli diarrhoea first, then compare it with naem.  I'm pretty sure the naem will taste at least as good, if not better.  Do report back.

To be honest, I'd rather do that than taste naem again. Can't be any more putrid.

Smuckers Orange Marmalade. Obviously it had gone off. Up all night vomiting and various other things.

2nd worst was a Subway sandwich from the shop at Big C Extra in Pattaya. Result nearly as bad as above.

Otherwise no problem with Thai food in restaurants or street vendors. Love kai mot daeng and larb moo in addition to the usual fare available in most restaurants.

There was a bar girl that was in a relationship with my boss. I got to know her a little and ran into her at Voodoo Lounge where she worked. I bought her a beer and we talked a bit, then she went out to get something to eat. She came back with these huge black beetles. I said "you're not going to eat those, are you". She proceeded to rip one apart, snapping wings and what have you until she got to the guts. Then she insisted I try a piece. There were 2 slabs of flesh on each side of it's now dismantled body. It almost made me sick just looking but I said OK. It tasted GREAT! I couldn't believe I was actually eating an insect. But it wasn't good enough for me to pursue any further. The whole dismantling a bug thing just turned me off, but if someone else did it I'd definitely give it a go.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:56 PM, lemonjelly said:

BBQ rat

Actually it is not bad

Durian, love the smell fermented tofu (actually worse in Taiwan) on the other hand definitely a NO GO

Just about any airline food yuk

Any of the Thai drinks which have unnatural colouring.....they cannot be right

Really scary... raw prawns, love them but it is definitely Russian roulette on the tummy 

Congealed blood in my noodle soup... lovely, would help if they gave a spoon rather than chop sticks to eat soup...

Most frightening of all.......... A well done steak with local red wine

Edited by KNJ
typo

Am intrigued?

To the OP- why are you showing us a European / French jar of shrimp paste . Really weird- probably totally pasteurized and nothing like the real thing. 

Nearly all SE cuisines use a version of shrimp paste - yes it smells a bit , but you don't use much and without it many dishes would not be the same.  

I think the live shrimp salad is a bit scary, feel sorry for the shrimps- but it tastes very good. 

Absolutely will vote Poor Sucker as #1 - those embryo chick egg things are just gross! 

21 minutes ago, RBOP said:

PahLah (fermented fish sauce from Esan and Lao). Horrible smell and a taste of rotting fish literally.  But its like blue cheese or durian, you either love it or hate it.

Plaraa..love it.

But again, I grew up in Sweden where we have far more stinking fermented fish.